Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
That's exactly what I mean.
Look at this JetBlue Airbus cockpit door photo. Most cockpit doors open away from the cabin: ALL A319, A320, A321, B767, and B777s.

So how can a pilot see an attack coming when the door is swinging into him/her? How does the standing pilot stop such (20 MPH) force directed at him--thus knocking him back?

Finally, JetBlue and Southwest do not have drink-carts to "delay" a breach. So what's you answer to that???

Oh wait, that's right, "ninja flight attendants" will save you...

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...pits/80302964/
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
Look at this JetBlue Airbus cockpit door photo. Most cockpit doors open away from the cabin: ALL A319, A320, A321, B767, and B777s.

So how can a pilot see an attack coming when the door is swinging into him/her? How does the standing pilot stop such (20 MPH) force directed at him--thus knocking him back?

Finally, JetBlue and Southwest do not have drink-carts to "delay" a breach. So what's you answer to that???

Oh wait, that's right, "ninja flight attendants" will save you...

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...pits/80302964/

How many cases of a "muscle terrorist" jumping a beverage cart, knocking down the "ninja flight attendant", over coming the pilot stepping off the flight deck {before the pilot slams the door closed}, then defeating the pilot at the controls can you list?
Xyzzy and kyanar like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Feb 12, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: added element
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you do it before, is that not a problem because you realized the "drink cart pony show" is taking place? Is that "show" not a problem--for the fact that it telegraphs that the door is about to get unlocked in violation of Section 104 of the 2001 ATSAC law?
It's not a pony show. n the contrary, the crew is always rather serious about it.
Have you ever been on a flight with a short crew because one was a no-show?
Those flights, for some reason, always have the word "canceled" on the departure board.
Boggie Dog, nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a question. When FAM's are on-board an aircraft one is typically positioned in first, aisle row 2. If a terrorist can react to an opening cockpit door so quickly then considering reaction time what the heck is the purpose of the FAM sitting in first? Wouldn't the "muscle terrorist" already be in the cockpit with the door closed before the FAM could react? I think it's the "Ninja Flight Attendant" with the beverage cart that is going to be the significant player in preventing a breech.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

How many cases of a "muscle terrorist" jumping a beverage cart, knocking down the "ninja flight attendant", over coming the pilot stepping off the flight deck {before the pilot slams the door closed}, then defeating the pilot at the controls can you list?
Four times on 9/11:

Page 158 of the 9/11 Commission Report:

"While in Karachi, ['9/11 principal architect' Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM)] also discussed how to case flights in Southeast Asia. KSM told them to watch the [cockpit] doors at takeoff and landing, to observe whether the captain went to the lavatory during the flight, and to note whether the flight attendants brought food into the cockpit."
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Four times on 9/11: https://youtu.be/Yu8ByQPhryc

Yes - and as everyone here knows the SOP for a hijacking at that time was to cooperate with hijackers so as to safely get the aircraft on the ground. That is no longer the case. But you knew that too.
cestmoi123, nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's not a pony show. On the contrary, the crew is always rather serious about it.
"The cart pony show" alerts the hijackers to get ready in order to vault over it and breach the cockpit. The pilots need to stop cabin notifications--to begin" the cart pony show"--and POP open and quickly close the door, thus making it impossible to react fast enough. I'd rather rely on a pilot establishing his make-shift barrier than relying on flight attendants who can be in their 80s.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
“Flight attendants in their 80s” is yet another red herring. Some people in their 80s can have as much physical ability as some people in their 20s. If they’re turning up every day and doing the job it tends to suggest they meet the physical fitness requirements. Why not just leave it at “flight attendants” rather than picking on this one hostie?!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The cart pony show" alerts the hijackers to get ready in order to vault over it and breach the cockpit. The pilots need to stop cabin notifications--to begin" the cart pony show"--and POP open and quickly close the door, thus making it impossible to react fast enough. I'd rather rely on a pilot establishing his make-shift barrier than relying on flight attendants who can be in their 80s.
Sorry - this makes absolutely zer sense. First you want people to buy your mobile cart system to establish a barrier. Then you say whatever happens should be done super fast so nobody knows it's about to happen. Finally, the pilot is supposed to "[establish] his make-shift barrier" so he can exit the cockpit -- but this can't happen if the door is securely closed and he's behind the door.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes - and as everyone here knows the SOP for a hijacking at that time was to cooperate with hijackers so as to safely get the aircraft on the ground. That is no longer the case. But you knew that too.
Why take the chance of a pilot refusing to unlock the cockpit and then allow killers in? After all, the door routinely opened--breakfast trays and lavatory breaks--without any protection. Just one former Marine/Soldier/Airman pilot's refusal to endanger himself and the whole aircraft and instead emergency land would have disrupted the whole plot. All military pilots are SERE trained. Taking or killing hostages to compel pilots to unlock the routinely opened doors is nonsensical.

Page 5 of the 9/11 Commission Report:

"American 11 flight Attendant Betty] Ong: 'the [hijackers] jammed their way in."
The creators of "United 93" show us the routine door openings with the hijackers chomping at the bit:

Sorry - this makes absolutely zer sense. First you want people to buy your mobile cart system to establish a barrier. Then you say whatever happens should be done super fast so nobody knows it's about to happen. Finally, the pilot is supposed to "[establish] his make-shift barrier" so he can exit the cockpit -- but this can't happen if the door is securely closed and he's behind the door.
You didn't read my prior points: do this NOW until eventually, all jets get secondary barriers installed.

I have a question. When FAM's are on-board an aircraft one is typically positioned in first, aisle row 2. If a terrorist can react to an opening cockpit door so quickly then considering reaction time what the heck is the purpose of the FAM sitting in first? Wouldn't the "muscle terrorist" already be in the cockpit with the door closed before the FAM could react? I think it's the "Ninja Flight Attendant" with the beverage cart that is going to be the significant player in preventing a breech.
ABC News 2 months ago:

"Federal air marshals are being moved to the back of the plane"
https://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-...ry?id=59974300

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:10 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I could post some clips from Passenger 57, Die Hard 2, or Executive Decision, but that wouldn't be evidence, either.

Movies aren't real, not even when they're dramatizations of actual events. There is a lot that's not known about what happened on United 93 and the other 9/11 flights; what is known is only what was on the CVR and the little bit heard by distraught family contacted by passengers on air phones. Which means that the movie likely contained an awful lot of guessing and wishful thinking, and presenting it as evidence is not much better than presenting Die Hard With a Vengeance in support of the War on Water.

Xyzzy, nancypants and kyanar like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As said earlier, I'm ok with this. I don't think having a FAM up front changes anything. You're big on the reaction time stuff so would think you'd agree that a "muscle terrorist" would be in the cockpit flying before the FAM got their seatbelt off.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
There is a lot that's not known about what happened on United 93 and the other 9/11 flights
What part of this does not make sense?

"While in Karachi, ['9/11 principal architect' Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM)] also discussed how to case flights in Southeast Asia. KSM told them to watch the [cockpit] doors at takeoff and landing, to observe whether the captain went to the lavatory during the flight, and to note whether the flight attendants brought food into the cockpit."
Page 5:

"American 11 flight Attendant Betty] Ong: 'the [hijackers] jammed their way in."
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

What part of this does not make sense?

Page 5:
It doesn't work that way any more. What part of CREWS NO LONGER JUST OPEN THE DOOR AND GO IN AND UT WITHOUT CHECKING THEIR SURROUNDINGS does not make sense? Part of the new procedures include use of the cart that only you seem to think is easy to jump over.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't work that way any more. What part of CREWS NO LONGER JUST OPEN THE DOOR AND GO IN AND UT WITHOUT CHECKING THEIR SURROUNDINGS does not make sense? Part of the new procedures include use of the cart that only you seem to think is easy to jump over.
100% false. I have numerous reports that flight attendants have even allowed passengers to line up in front of the drink-cart while the door is open with backs turned. I also have many regarding Southwest and JetBlue--no drink-carts on their jets--flight attendants allowing passengers to stand in the aisle.

I guess you have not read the June 26, 2017 redacted and unpublished U.S. Department of Transportation / Office of Inspector General Audit Report concluding that the method is "ineffective"--even Federal Air Marshals with Top Secret clearances are allowed to see under the redactions:

http://bit.ly/dotoig20170626

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.