Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:30 am

Like seen in many instances, a spouse can add someone as an Authorized User not realizing the effect that will have on the AU's 5/24 scorecard down the road.

I know that closing a card opened in the last 24 months does not change the fact that it was opened and will still count towards 5/24 whether closed or not at the time of Chase application, but not sure if removing yourself as Authorized User is treated the same way i.e. will it count whether you are subsequently removed as an AU if:
1) Primary user opened card > 2 yrs ago, added you as AU within last 2 yrs, subsequently removed you prior to Chase application
2) Primary user opened card < 2 yrs ago, added you as AU within last 2 yrs, subsequently removed you prior to Chase application
3) You were added as AU and then subsequently removed, then after you were removed the Primary card was closed (irrespective of when opened) prior to Chase application

I read on some or other blog that removing oneself as AU can cause the card to not be considered towards 5/24 so wasn't sure if that was in fact correct (especially since everything in a blog is true )
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Like seen in many instances, a spouse can add someone as an Authorized User not realizing the effect that will have on the AU's 5/24 scorecard down the road.

I know that closing a card opened in the last 24 months does not change the fact that it was opened and will still count towards 5/24 whether closed or not at the time of Chase application, but not sure if removing yourself as Authorized User is treated the same way i.e. will it count whether you are subsequently removed as an AU if:
1) Primary user opened card > 2 yrs ago, added you as AU within last 2 yrs, subsequently removed you prior to Chase application
2) Primary user opened card < 2 yrs ago, added you as AU within last 2 yrs, subsequently removed you prior to Chase application
3) You were added as AU and then subsequently removed, then after you were removed the Primary card was closed (irrespective of when opened) prior to Chase application

I read on some or other blog that removing oneself as AU can cause the card to not be considered towards 5/24 so wasn't sure if that was in fact correct (especially since everything in a blog is true )
This is more complicated than it needs to be, especially since the answer to each of your questions is different depending on what bank the opened card was issued by. For instance, in the case of number 1, if that's a Chase card, you wouldn't even need to have it removed. It won't affect your 5/24 because the AU card's Open Date is older than 2 years (even though you were added within the last 2 years). Not so, for Amex.

Keep it simple. Just look at your credit report and count. That's how the Chase algorithm determines your 5/24 count, so that's how you should as well.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:25 am

Decision in 7-10 days. Should I call?

I applied for a CSP with a friend's referral link over the weekend. Called to check status and the automated system said they'll make a decision in 7 to 10 business days.

Should I let me automated system transfer me to human? The wiki of this post says not to call until declined (which I assume that I would only know when I received the letter?) But the Chase non-automatic approval flow chart (https://imgur.com/a/oXlPW) says call when hears the 7-10 days message.

I'm 3/24 but I'm probably at maximum CL with Chase, as they had to move some CL from other cards to approve my United Club card back in March. Should I call?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
.... probably at maximum CL with Chase, as they had to move some CL from other cards to approve my United Club card back in March. Should I call?
I would call if you have a preference on which line(s) to reduce this time.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I would call if you have a preference on which line(s) to reduce this time.
I called recon and was told that the only way to get approved is to close the United Club card I got in 4 months ago. Will closing it make Chase claw back the sign up bonus?

Update: confirmed through SM that that won't claw back the sign up bonus if I closed the United Club card. So I moved the CL and was able to open the CSP.
tstauck likes this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Jul 7, 2020 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Hello,

I am a bit confuse on the counting for 5/24 rule. The PointsGuy said that it includes the current card you are about to apply. So, you can only have 4 cards opened in the last 24 months because you need to count the card you are able to apply. Other bloggers don't say that. What is the consensus here? Does it include the Chase card you're about to apply?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002
Hello,

I am a bit confuse on the counting for 5/24 rule. The PointsGuy said that it includes the current card you are about to apply. So, you can only have 4 cards opened in the last 24 months because you need to count the card you are able to apply. Other bloggers don't say that. What is the consensus here? Does it include the Chase card you're about to apply?
I'm not familiar with how various bloggers explain Chase's "5/24 rule", but the way it works is you will not be approved by Chase for any credit card if they can see that you have opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months. See the "wiki" at the top of this thread for more details and nuances. It appears PG is simply stating it another way, but ultimately the math is the same.
RNE and opus2002 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
I'm not familiar with how various bloggers explain Chase's "5/24 rule", but the way it works is you will not be approved by Chase for any credit card if they can see that you have opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months. See the "wiki" at the top of this thread for more details and nuances. It appears PG is simply stating it another way, but ultimately the math is the same.

Per Pointsguy .... is the author right?

"This means you actually need to be
under 5/24 in order to be approved."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultim...be%20approved.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:21 pm
mia

Originally Posted by opus2002
....you can only have 4 cards opened in the last 24 months....
It's more accurate to say that your credit report can only show four cards opened in the last 24 months. Most business cards will not show on your report, and would not count. It is best not to guess how many new card accounts are shown on your report, look it up before applying.
RNE, opus2002, alvinroast and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
It is best not to guess how many new card accounts are shown on your report, look it up before applying.
Good advice. And remember to count closed cards that were opened in the last 24 months. I forgot to do that and wasted an application because of my mistake.
renila, sdsearch, opus2002 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Sapphire for 60K, then upgrade to Sapphire Reserve

I am looking to get a new $550/y Sapphire Reserve card, but the sign-on bonus is only 50K vs. 60K for the $95/y Sapphire.
(both card have $4K spend to earn the sign-on bonus).

So, my thinking is to apply for the $95K Sapphire, pocket the 60K UR points, and then call to upgrade to the $550/y Sapphire Reserve.

Am I missing anything?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colin
Am I missing anything?
The 12 month delay before the new card will be eligible for a product change?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Colin
I am looking to get a new $550/y Sapphire Reserve card, but the sign-on bonus is only 50K vs. 60K for the $95/y Sapphire.
(both card have $4K spend to earn the sign-on bonus).

So, my thinking is to apply for the $95K Sapphire, pocket the 60K UR points, and then call to upgrade to the $550/y Sapphire Reserve.

Am I missing anything?
If you currently have a Freedom then that can be upgraded to Sapphire Reserve (assuming a large enough CL).
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
There is quiet speculation on another forum that Chase has instituted either a new X/6 or X/12 rule for personal card approvals, with the likely candidates being 2/6 or 3/12. The speculation is based upon a number of recent denials from applicants who were denied while being at those thresholds. (Disclaimer: nothing official, no insider information, no "real" data. That's why I described it as speculation.)
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... X/6 or X/12 rule for personal card approvals, with the likely candidates being 2/6 or 3/12. ....
To be sure I understand correctly this would mean something like, "No more than two new Chase personal cards in six months, and no more than three in a year."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.