Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
A data point. I applied for United Club Infinite on Friday - the 100k was just too appealing, getting the miles for .525 cents each feels like it will be worth it. I guess we'll see.

Did not get immediate approval, however. Get a pending review notice so I called in. Was told I had too much Chase credit for the $15k required on the United card.

Asked them to take my Sapphire down to $28k and Hyatt down to $22k and voila, was told they'd get back to me. Got the approval email that afternoon.

The card arrived yesterday, so, approval on Friday and the nice packet today.

I see the new "bonus" offer is first year fee waived, so you could (assuming we fly this year at some point) get the card for free, use the TSA credit, visit the lounges and cancel before renewal, all for free.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Updated Data Point

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Hi all. Happy Monday.

Planning a fairly aggressive series of applications for Chase cards. Just got 3 biz cards (Ink Cash, Ink Unlimited and United MP) because I finally dropped below 5/24.

3 questions I'm looking for advice on, didn't see this in the wiki.

1. Does Chase add both the Biz card and Personal card credit line when deciding whether to give you a personal card?
2. How high is too high with personal credit lines? With 2 personal cards, I've got $65k in credit lines. I don't need them to be that high, though my Sapphire Reserve will sometimes top $30k.
3. Is there a best order to get cards if I want a number of personal cards? I have on my list to get over the 12 months 2 United personal cards, the Chase Freedom, a Bonvoy card, and the IHG card.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help.
Originally Posted by pallhedge
1. Yes
2. A good rule of thumb is Chase will extend total credit limits up to 50% of your stated income. If your history is long, particularly with Chase, that number can be much higher.
3. Your velocity is too aggressive. 3 biz cards since March 1 and another 5 personal cards planned in the next 12 months. After the 3 biz card frenzy, I would cool off for a full 3 months. Then start on the personal card journey leaving 2-3 months between each application. All this while managing your total Chase CL as per above.
Thank you for your feedback! I was inclined to hold off, but I couldn't resist going for the 100k points on the Club Card Infinite...

Applied last Friday and already have the card. I'm at 3 personal and 4 business cards, but yes, now going to go VERY slowly, with late August and early December for the next two personal cards. I guess the good thing is I'm picking up 100k MR points and 200k United points between March and the end of June when I'll have my SUB spend requirements completed. Of course, these are only valuable if/when I can ever get on a plane again...
Old May 20, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Chase IHG Premier $20.9K limit, apparently minimum $20K limit
I'd ask again about this. Even CSR (Visa Infinite) can go down to $10k CL, and it seems to be more premium card than the IHG one.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
<snip>

Chase Freedom $5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit
Chase Marriott Boundless $5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit
Chase IHG Select $7.5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit

<snip>

EDIT: I just called regular CS and moved around my credit limits, so my Freedom now has a $27.5K limit. I'll try and call reconsideration tomorrow and see if they'll now let me close just the Freedom to approve the United Club Infinite.
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Something is wrong in your numbers - How did your Freedom go from a $5k limit to a $27.5k limit?
Not sure what you mean. Transferred $2K, $4.5K and $16K CLs from the 2nd to 4th cards to the 1st card. The "apparent minimums" were quoted/enforced by reconsideration, but regular CS had no such restrictions.

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I'd ask again about this. Even CSR (Visa Infinite) can go down to $10k CL, and it seems to be more premium card than the IHG one.
I ended up just moving credit lines around with regular CS and ended up with $27.5K CL on the Freedom. I'll call reconsideration again today to see if they can now take $15K CL from the Freedom to approve the United Club Infinite.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Has Chase clamped down on 2/30?

I just got a CSR on 5/11, instant approval at $23.5k. It's the first product I've ever had with Chase. FICO is 800, at 2/24 status right now. Six inquiries on EX which is what Chase seems to be pulling (4 are mortgage, 1 is CNB, 1 is Chase). I have four other cards (Barclays PCLN Visa 2/13, BoA Travel 8/04, Hilton AMEX 7/03, CNB Visa I'm about to cancel, 7/19). I want the CFU now because I want to put Q2's estimated quarterly tax payment on there @1.5 UR instead of 1 UR.

I am curious what recent data points might suggest here. I also wonder what effect, if any, cancelling my $50kCL CNB Visa will have, and how I should time that relative to this app. My current utilization is at 0 (I pay before the statements cut), but that $50k represents over 50% of my available credit.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
.... My current utilization is at 0 (I pay before the statements cut),
Be aware that some issuers will decline applications if they see zero utilization. Why should they open an account for someone who doesn't use them? (Yes, we understand that you do use them, but that's how you look to their algorithm.) Can you downgrade the CNB card to a free product to preserve the credit line?
Old May 21, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I applied for the Chase United Club Infinite yesterday. Today, I got a denial notice online because "You have too many active accounts or too much available credit".

I called reconsideration, and was told I have too much credit with Chase. However, he was not able to just reduce the limits beyond a certain point on my existing cards to put together the minimum $15K limit for the United Club Infinite.

Specifically, I have the following cards:

Chase Freedom $5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit
Chase Marriott Boundless $5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit
Chase IHG Select $7.5K limit, apparently minimum $5K limit

I was told the only option is to close the IHG Premier to push the United Club Infinite application through. I asked the agent to hold off, and I'd call back.

Is the agent right? Is that my only option? I'm happy to close the Freedom, but really would like to keep the other 3 cards if possible. I'm surprised the Chase IHG Premier can't be reduced to $5K for example, as that would free up the $15K for the United Club Infinite.

EDIT: I just called regular CS and moved around my credit limits, so my Freedom now has a $27.5K limit. I'll try and call reconsideration tomorrow and see if they'll now let me close just the Freedom to approve the United Club Infinite.
<snip>

Transferred $2K, $4.5K and $16K CLs from the 2nd to 4th cards to the 1st card. The "apparent minimums" were quoted/enforced by reconsideration, but regular CS had no such restrictions.

I ended up just moving credit lines around with regular CS and ended up with $27.5K CL on the Freedom. I'll call reconsideration again today to see if they can now take $15K CL from the Freedom to approve the United Club Infinite.
Called reconsideration and they were able to take $15K CL from the Freedom and issue the new United Club Infinite, pending address verification (I need to fax them proof of address).

So, for future reference, if reconsideration can't take CLs from your existing cards because they say it would go below the minimum CL for those cards - call regular CS, consolidated your lines onto one card (even taking the other cards below the minimum CL that reconsideration had stated), then call reconsideration back.
sdsearch and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:52 pm

Question Marriott CC was approved but they decreased my CSR credit limit

A few days ago, I applied Marriott Boundless CC, it gets approved pretty quick, the credit limit is 8k. in the meanwhile they decreased exactly 8k off from my CSR credit limit. Subsequently, they send me the e-letter explained that the adjustments based on 1) I already have the max amount of credit they can offer me, 2) the current amount is enough in relation of my income.

Here comes to my thought, when I applied the new CC, I only listed the individual income, I didn't include the household income and other assets, but on the Internet, it says that I should include the household total income + other assets, which if I done so they may will give me higher credit limit. TBH, this decrease of one CC comprised a newly opened CC won't impact on my total utilization of the credit limit, but do I need to try to argue and restore my CSR credit limit? I'm afraid this will cause another hard pull, but I'm also afraid the decrease of my CRS will leave me a bad record on chase system. please advice.

another question, if I won't react, will my credit limit gets climb later after a few months automatically? do I need to update the income voluntarily in order to trigger increasing the credit limit? please advise.

thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
a. No hard pull.

b. No negative impact on "your record in the Chase system".

c. Chase routinely limits total credit lines to 50% of your stated income.

d. Many people proactively lower credit limits on existing Chase cards prior to applying for a new Chase card to avoid exceeding the threshold listed in (c).

e. Unless you routinely charge very large amounts on your CSR, no real reason to call and argue for a higher credit limit. That would result in a hard pull.

(Addendum: I would not recommend listing the monetary value of assets as income on a credit card application. Household income - no problem.)
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:32 pm

thank you Diplomatico , you made the valued points, do you think after a few months I shall need to update the income voluntarily in order to trigger increasing the credit limit of my CSR? the current consequence doesn't really hurt, since the total credit limit stays the same as before, however, in theory, more credit limit could always preventing the higher utilization which would impact the credit, right?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ericmc
thank you Diplomatico , you made the valued points, do you think after a few months I shall need to update the income voluntarily in order to trigger increasing the credit limit of my CSR? the current consequence doesn't really hurt, since the total credit limit stays the same as before, however, in theory, more credit limit could always preventing the higher utilization which would impact the credit, right?
If you need more credit limit on CSR then have Chase reallocate credit from other Chase credit cards you have to CSR.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ericmc
You may voluntarily update your stated income with Chase at any time; no need to wait a few months.

I'm don't understand the fixation with increasing your credit limit on the CSR unless you routinely carry high balances on it each month, in which case the interest you're paying would be of more concern than whatever downward tick your credit score may experience.

As someone else mentioned, you can always re-allocate credit from another personal card to the CSR if you want/need a higher limit on the CSR.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Technically they weren't at 5/24, but still at 4/24. N/24 is how many cards (currently open or closed) are showing on your credit report with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. We already know that Chase doesn't count their own business cards to make up for the fact that they don't ever show up on credit reports, so it shouldn't be surprising that they aren't counting recently-opened Chase personal cards to make up for the fact that they don't yet show up on credit reports.

However, the less known is how likely Chase is to approve you for multiple cards within the short time between then you get approved for the first card and when it shows up on whichever credit report they pull for you. It works for some people some of the time, but that doesn't prove that it works for everyone all of the time. (And it depends, in part, on which exact cards you want to apply for in what order.)
That brings up a good point. I'll soon be 2(+1*)/24 (*=AuthUser) so I was planning to go in for Chase cards for the first time in 2+ years next month. But since I wanted to do 2, thought I'd best stagger them at least 30 days apart. Now my total Chase CLs are less than 45% income so while my 1st app shouldn't be a problem, it may put me at 3(+1*)/24 worst case for the 2nd app and total Chase CLs likely exceeding 50% income so was wondering if I should wait for more than 30 days for the 2nd app or less than that... let's say within 2 weeks of the 1st.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:08 pm

The general advice when applying for Chase cards is 2-3 months between applications.

You can call in advance to lower existing credit limits so that the 50% threshold is not a factor.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The general advice when applying for Chase cards is 2-3 months between applications.
Oh ok thanks. I thought I read somewhere about waiting at least 30 days between 2 Chase personal apps ... but not sure where I read it or whether it said no more than 1 personal and 1 biz in 30 days. I'm not doing any biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.