Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Nice, congratulations, thank you. Impressive that although 5/24 at the time of the recon call you still got approved. Gives hope to us sign-up bonus junkies. After being 20/24 to 40/24 for several years I’ll finally be 3/24 in a few months (yeah, not happy but gotta play the hand you're dealt), looking forward to some new applications (and hopefully bonuses).
Technically they weren't at 5/24, but still at 4/24. N/24 is how many cards (currently open or closed) are showing on your credit report with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. We already know that Chase doesn't count their own business cards to make up for the fact that they don't ever show up on credit reports, so it shouldn't be surprising that they aren't counting recently-opened Chase personal cards to make up for the fact that they don't yet show up on credit reports.

However, the less known is how likely Chase is to approve you for multiple cards within the short time between then you get approved for the first card and when it shows up on whichever credit report they pull for you. It works for some people some of the time, but that doesn't prove that it works for everyone all of the time. (And it depends, in part, on which exact cards you want to apply for in what order.)
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:53 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I haven't been able to find definitive feedback on what the minimum Chase will allow as a credit limit on an existing card. A few years back, the guidance was $5000 on a personal card and $2000 on a business card but not sure if that's based on any actual testing.
I was able to lower both a Marriott Business Card and an Ink Cash down to $1000 CL via secure message. Looks like that's a fine limit for business cards at least.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Does a health card account towards the 5/24 rule? This card is issued by Wells Fargo and can be use only at certain health providers, so it can't be use to pay for gas or grocery for instance.

Also, I signed up my brother as authorized user on my Amex card, but I haven't given Amex his date of birth and SSN yet. Does this account against him now or not yet?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
Does a health card account towards the 5/24 rule? This card is issued by Wells Fargo and can be use only at certain health providers, so it can't be use to pay for gas or grocery for instance.

Also, I signed up my brother as authorized user on my Amex card, but I haven't given Amex his date of birth and SSN yet. Does this account against him now or not yet?
Look at your credit report and see if the health card is listed differently than your regular credit cards. Look at the details, like "Account type".

AFAIK, Amex will require you to give them his SSN to keep the authorized user card open. It won't count against him until the card appears on his credit report. Then it will.
opus2002 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: as
4/24 denial

Ok....well this is interesting....

I am at 4/24 according to CK. Last CC applied for was two months ago (Citi Premier). Last Chase biz card I got was SW Bness in December 2019. Just applied for Ink Preferred on April 10. April 11 (my birthday interestingly enough) I got a letter via "statements and documents" saying "Too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you."

BTW, I am clearly at 4/24 by at least four months. I.e. the Fifth most recent application according to CK was 2 years 5 months ago.

So.......any thoughts on what is happening here? And is recon a possiblity? FWIW I drop to 3/24 in July.

For the record, I have two Chase bness cards, Ink unlimited and SW. I have four Chase personal cards. The most recent from January this year CSR.

Last edited by Freeebieman; Apr 12, 2020 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Freeebieman
.... is recon a possiblity?
Call and ask them to read the list of cards that you opened in the past 24 months to see what you are missing. Bear in mind that cards continue to count even if already closed, and if you are an Authorized User on anyone else's account they may mistakenly count it.

On the other hand, we know that Chase just tightened their mortgage application criteria. It's possible that they also adjusted their credit card criteria, and you can be the one to tell us the new rule.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freeebieman
Ok....well this is interesting....

I am at 4/24 according to CK. Last CC applied for was two months ago (Citi Premier). Last Chase biz card I got was SW Bness in December 2019. Just applied for Ink Preferred on April 10. April 11 (my birthday interestingly enough) I got a letter via "statements and documents" saying "Too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you."

BTW, I am clearly at 4/24 by at least four months. I.e. the Fifth most recent application according to CK was 2 years 5 months ago.

So.......any thoughts on what is happening here? And is recon a possiblity? FWIW I drop to 3/24 in July.

For the record, I have two Chase bness cards, Ink unlimited and SW. I have four Chase personal cards. The most recent from January this year CSR.
Did you count cancelled cards at CK? Also, did you check both TU and EQ at CK? If you don't know which bureau Chase pulled, I've heard of cases where a card shows up on one bureau but doesn't show up on another bureau, so make sure you're checking the same bureau that Chase pulled (if it's not something simple like you forgetting to check cancelled cards).
808traveler likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: as
Well....this is embarassing. For "active accounts" I am indeed at 4/24. But I forgot I closed an account I only had for a year. The very missed CNB card. I opened it in November of 2018. I guess I am a couple of months away from dropping below. Thanks for the specificity in your question.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Data point

Just a few data points. Dropped to 4/24 mid-February.

Applied for United MP Business March 1st. Approved immediately. March 10th applied for Ink Cash. Approved immediately. April 13 applied for Ink Unlimited. Approved immediately. 3 business cards in less than 45 days.

At this point, have 4 business and 2 personal Chase cards.

Going to hold off until May then apply for a personal card from Chase, probably a United card. Then another one in June when I'm back to 4/24 after the May application.
Diplomatico and robchow like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:35 am

5/24 - Experian account opening dates

PSA, check your Experian account opening dates.
Experian has retroactively changed my account opening dates. The accounts used to only show as being opening on the first of the month, and (for me) sometime between February and now, that has changed to showing as being opened on the *actual* date of the month when the account was really opened. This is important because it definitely affects your 5/24 status.

For example, accounts opened in April 2018 used to all show as being opened on April 1 2018, but now they show as being on April 15 and April 22, etc.

I saw another post about this a few months back, couldn't find it, but just wanted to respond that this has updated to my account as well.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Got SM confirmation for min spend timeframe extension but haven’t received an email.. Has anyone actually seen the tracker updated?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Application Order and Credit lines

Hi all. Happy Monday.

Planning a fairly aggressive series of applications for Chase cards. Just got 3 biz cards (Ink Cash, Ink Unlimited and United MP) because I finally dropped below 5/24.

3 questions I'm looking for advice on, didn't see this in the wiki.

1. Does Chase add both the Biz card and Personal card credit line when deciding whether to give you a personal card?
2. How high is too high with personal credit lines? With 2 personal cards, I've got $65k in credit lines. I don't need them to be that high, though my Sapphire Reserve will sometimes top $30k.
3. Is there a best order to get cards if I want a number of personal cards? I have on my list to get over the 12 months 2 United personal cards, the Chase Freedom, a Bonvoy card, and the IHG card.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Hi all. Happy Monday.

Planning a fairly aggressive series of applications for Chase cards. Just got 3 biz cards (Ink Cash, Ink Unlimited and United MP) because I finally dropped below 5/24.

3 questions I'm looking for advice on, didn't see this in the wiki.

1. Does Chase add both the Biz card and Personal card credit line when deciding whether to give you a personal card?
2. How high is too high with personal credit lines? With 2 personal cards, I've got $65k in credit lines. I don't need them to be that high, though my Sapphire Reserve will sometimes top $30k.
3. Is there a best order to get cards if I want a number of personal cards? I have on my list to get over the 12 months 2 United personal cards, the Chase Freedom, a Bonvoy card, and the IHG card.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help.
1. Yes
2. A good rule of thumb is Chase will extend total credit limits up to 50% of your stated income. If your history is long, particularly with Chase, that number can be much higher.
3. Your velocity is too aggressive. 3 biz cards since March 1 and another 5 personal cards planned in the next 12 months. After the 3 biz card frenzy, I would cool off for a full 3 months. Then start on the personal card journey leaving 2-3 months between each application. All this while managing your total Chase CL as per above.
RNE, StartinSanDiego and tstauck like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I was able to lower both a Marriott Business Card and an Ink Cash down to $1000 CL via secure message. Looks like that's a fine limit for business cards at least.
I was also able to move credit line from a Southwest Business Card to a United Business Card via secure message without calling. Was very specific of how much credit line and which card to move from/to. Had never tried that before but it was very helpful. (The new card did not have enough credit line to make a large purchase toward minimum spend. Would not let me go over limit, however briefly.)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase is has made several changes to business card applications since around 4/17, including denying most of them now. For details and discussion, please go to this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...il-2020-a.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 28, 2020 at 4:51 pm Reason: Update link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.