Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mocarey
I live in CA, and for my recent Chase applications (Nov CIP; Jan CSR) Chase has queried Experian and Equifax. I am currently at 4/24 on both Experian and Equifax, though I am at 5/24 for Transunion.

Based on my limited experience here, as Chase did not check Transunion when I applied previously, I'm assuming that I would be good to apply for CIC (in March/April to avoid the 30 day rule) and not have 5/24 apply? Thoughts? Alternative is wait till July when I will be 2/24 on Experian/Equifax and 3/24 on Transunion. Any DP's on whether Chase has queried Transunion for applications in CA?
Chase tends to pull EXP and/or EQ for applications originating from CA. If you want to be ultra-safe, freeze TU prior to applying.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
I had a “ preapproved” explorer offer via my United app, took the bait, 2 weeks after competing the application no card in the mail. Did receive the initial email thanking me for my application and saying Chase would let me know if I was approved?? What gives?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Did receive the initial email thanking me for my application and saying Chase would let me know if I was approved?? What gives?
This is not unusual. Have you called Chase to check the status of your application?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by mia
This is not unusual. Have you called Chase to check the status of your application?
yes, they said they snail mailed me a request for more info. Ugh
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Does anyone have an estimate for how long I should wait to apply for a chase credit card after reducing credit lines on other chase cards? I’m hoping to free up available credit to increase the chances for approval.

thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Does anyone have an estimate for how long I should wait to apply for a chase credit card after reducing credit lines on other chase cards? I’m hoping to free up available credit to increase the chances for approval.

thanks.
Next day is plenty of time.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Eligible for UR bonus on a different Chase card?

I'm about to become eligible to apply for another Chase card and will go for the Chase Ink Business Preferred but I found this sentence in the offer terms:

"Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program."

I already have the Sapphire Reserve so do we think that because the Sapphire is the same 'Rewards Program' as the Ink I'm not eligible for the Ink bonus??
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Next day is plenty of time.
I usually just call the reconsideration line and explain that we can move credit from one of my other accounts and they do it over the phone.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by brarob1
I already have the Sapphire Reserve so do we think that because the Sapphire is the same 'Rewards Program' as the Ink I'm not eligible for the Ink bonus??
The language has appeared in Chase terms since at least 2014 and, to my knowledge, has not been used to deny bonuses. The choice of the word "may" gives Chase flexibility.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
The language has appeared in Chase terms since at least 2014 and, to my knowledge, has not been used to deny bonuses. The choice of the word "may" gives Chase flexibility.
And to put 2014 in perspective, Chase didn't start 5/24 until well into 2015. So this language therefore been there since well before the introduction of 5/24 (which at first didn't apply to anywhere near all Chase cards).

Furthermore, of note, 5/24 is used left and right, and never appears in any signup language. The above-noted phrase appears in signup language, but is never used.

So not all signup language has meaning, and meanwhile not all relevant rules are expressed in signup language.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And to put 2014 in perspective, Chase didn't start 5/24 until well into 2015. So this language therefore been there since well before the introduction of 5/24 (which at first didn't apply to anywhere near all Chase cards).

Furthermore, of note, 5/24 is used left and right, and never appears in any signup language. The above-noted phrase appears in signup language, but is never used.

So not all signup language has meaning, and meanwhile not all relevant rules are expressed in signup language.

5/24 started in the spring of 2016. I remember it well as my wife stopped getting cards that week in order to get us Companion pass for 2018 and 2019...........Now she is card free again while I step in

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chase...211932315.html
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:20 pm

In branch pre-approval CIP

I applied in branch today after being told I was pre approved for the Ink Business Preferred 80K offer. I was not auto approved, the banker called someone who said they didn't need further information.

I tried the business application status phone number and rather than an "application received" wait for x period of time, I was going to be transferred to a live agent. I decided to hang up.

Any advice whether to wait it out it this case or find a live rep? I'm at around 7/24 but the banker says he saw the CIP as preapproved on my business account although I've had it in the past. The only restriction he said was I could not have received the bonus within the last 24 months which I had not.

One more thing, after he first told me I was preapproved about two weeks ago, I noticed an entry on my business account online that said "Pending approval (0)". I don't remember seeing that before, anyone know what it is?

thanks
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb the history of 5/24 as discovered by FTers in this thread

Originally Posted by flyer4512
5/24 started in the spring of 2016. I remember it well as my wife stopped getting cards that week in order to get us Companion pass for 2018 and 2019...........Now she is card free again while I step in

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chase...211932315.html
No, that's probably only when it got famous, not when it started.

It seems to me that it started in May 2015, and that's why this thread was broken off around then, with the first posts about what turns out to be later called 5/24:

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

During May 2015, FTers didn't yet know yet that it was "5", just that people were now being declined for "too many new accounts in the past two years".

And then in early June 2015:

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (post 145)

pikachu92 has a datapoint which may have turned out to be historic:

"I was denied myself yesterday, 5 new accounts in the last 2 years. I had a friend apply today, auto-approved but he only had 2 new accounts in the past 2 years."

It of course took a while of datapoints to figure out that it was 4 = go, 5 = death, and that only certain cards (at that point) were subject to it, etc, etc. But the policy itself seems to have started around May 2015 from everything I can see in FT Chase forum Applying thread archives.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, that's probably only when it got famous, not when it started.

It seems to me that it started in May 2015, and that's why this thread was broken off around then, with the first posts about what turns out to be later called 5/24:

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

During May 2015, FTers didn't yet know yet that it was "5", just that people were now being declined for "too many new accounts in the past two years".

And then in early June 2015:

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (post 145)

pikachu92 has a datapoint which may have turned out to be historic:

"I was denied myself yesterday, 5 new accounts in the last 2 years. I had a friend apply today, auto-approved but he only had 2 new accounts in the past 2 years."

It of course took a while of datapoints to figure out that it was 4 = go, 5 = death, and that only certain cards (at that point) were subject to it, etc, etc. But the policy itself seems to have started around May 2015 from everything I can see in FT Chase forum Applying thread archives.
First I have to laugh that you took the time to look that up.

If 5/24 started on co branded cards in May 2015 I would have not been able to get companion pass for 2016 and 2017 as I opened 12 personal cards in 2015 alone.

I stopped getting cards for my wife in April 2016 to set her up to be under 5/24 to get us companion pass again for 2018 and 2019, according to my records 5/24 became official on co branded cards around that time.

Since April 2016 one of us has been getting as many card as possible while the other is card free and then we switch, works out great especially combined with P 3 who does not travel
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Getting SW companion pass plan help?

Finally under 5/24 and applied and got the SW business card this morning. Should I apply for a personal SW card today or wait? I've waited a year to get under 5/24 and it was a thrill to see the you're approved message. Thanks for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.