Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
This is new for me so I thought I'd share. I applied for the Chase IHG Premier card last night. Got this message:

We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible.
I checked Application Status link and it said it could not find any application request. I called the Chase Application Status line and it said similar.

This morning I got a notification that a letter was placed under my Chase account. The letter said my application was denied reason being:

Our decision was based on the following reason(s)
Not enough accounts opened long enough to establish a credit history
Hm. My oldest opened account is 20+ years old and my AAoC is 7 years. I have three current Chase credit cards with 4, 5 and 6 years of history each. Credit score of 810+.

I called Chase recon and the representative told me that Experian had given them an empty credit file for me. (???) She verified my SSN and said upon pulling my Equifax credit profile, my application has been approved.

I have since checked my Experian credit profile and it looks alright to me. I have so many questions about this process. But the bottom line is: always call if you get a denial. You never know what the _real_ reason for denial is.
sdsearch and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I can confirm that the day after falling below 5/24 is sufficient. There's no need to wait until the 1st day of the following month.
Can confirm this is still the case.

Fell off 5/24.... on Day 1 being 4/24 applied for IHG 140k, Was auto approved. Then applied for UA 60k. App went pending. Called recon and was approved. Both accts showed up on my login after being approved.

So data point is can apply for chase as soon as falling off 5/24 and can apply/approve for 2 cards at 4/24.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
...applied for IHG 140k, Was auto approved. Then applied for UA 60k...
If this took place on the same day, your story may not end well. There have been many reports of Chase closing a card a week or 2 after the fact if the cards were applied for on the same day. On the plus side, I haven't seen this happen in a while so hopefully, the practice has ended.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pallhedge
If this took place on the same day, your story may not end well. There have been many reports of Chase closing a card a week or 2 after the fact if the cards were applied for on the same day. On the plus side, I haven't seen this happen in a while so hopefully, the practice has ended.
I have seen those stories as well... but I applied same day, but was not approved same day. 2nd app went pending. Waited 2 days, received online denial letter. Then Called recon and was then approved (credit was pulled again).

I think for those that got their cards closed were also newish to Chase <2 yrs ? Since that is what ppl learn these days, to hit chase first to avoid 5/24
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Chase Ink Business cash application

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I did the application for my wife, as I did in December 2019 for the Ink preferred. She was approved for that card, no real issues just not instant. Then over 60 days later I applied for this card. I probably made the mistake of not logging into her account to apply.

She's a sole proprietor, working out the our home, as had been the case with the Ink Preferred. Of course she got the response more time was needed and then another 10 days later received a notice stating "Action Needed" requesting additional documents. What was asked for with the initial letter was the following:

Proof of federal tax ID for business
Proof of physical address for the business
Proof of Legal name for the business
Proof of Physical address of the authorizing officer.

We faxed a copy of driver's license and ss card. and an explanation that she doesn't have a fed tax id, just SS number as a sole proprietor, and her business name is just her name, she's an attorney, no dba, and the DL and SS cart proves the other items. She did call and spoke to off shore people [...moderator edit...] Then we got a letter regarding this with further documents needed:

Proof of current Physical address(utility bill, US driver's license, other government ID)
Proof of Business address
Verification of Tax ID
Name of the Company

Pretty sure we've covered this already unless for some reason they couldn't read the faxed documents, which I doubt.

What's going on here? My wife mentioned when she spoke to them that we'd already been approved, used and paid a bill with the previous card so why would this additional information be needed.

I can certainly send in a utility bill, her driver's license, the name of the company, and again a copy of her SS card but there's really nothing else we can send to comply with the requests. Really makes no sense.

Is there no way to speak to someone that's not offshore [...moderator edit...]? Quite ridiculous, the hoops we are jumping through to get this done.

Last edited by mia; Mar 3, 2020 at 5:25 am Reason: See rule 12.2
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
She's a sole proprietor, working out the our home,....her business name is just her name, she's an attorney, no dba,....
To practice law she needs a license. Does the California Bar provide a document that lists her name and address?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
...I applied same day, but was not approved same day...
Unfortunately, that distinction has not mattered in the past. The act of applying the same day is what has invited the extra scrutiny after the fact, and therefore strongly discouraged. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:24 pm

Recon or Wait and Reapply? UA Explorer card

Hi All,
I applied for the IHG 140k and United 60k on the same day 3 weeks ago on 2/12/20 (I had gotten multiple cards from Chase on the same day in the past to make the most of a single inquiry). But apparently that isn't wise anymore. At any rate, I was approved for the IHG, denied for the UA card for "too many (recent) requests for credit or too many new accounts" (but they specifically said it was not for 5/24 - which it shouldn't be - when I called about it). I haven't done a reconsideration call (yet) because when I asked about it, they said it would result in another inquiry because they didn't actually pull it for the previous one. And I've been busy and haven't gotten around to a recon call...

Anyway, I'd really like to get the UA card under the current offer, which expires 4/2/20. Any idea if I would have a better chance getting it now with a recon call - or apply again on 4/1/20 (day before it expires)?

FYI, my apps in the past year include (quite a few as I had dropped below 5/24 and am trying to get as many Chase cards as I can before trying others):
10/10/19 - Chase Southwest Biz Perf - Approved after 10 days.
11/1/19 - Chase Southwest Plus - Instant approval.
12/16/19 - Chase Ink Biz Preferred - Instant approval (applied in branch when opening a biz bank account).
2/12/20 - Chase IHG - Instant approval.
2/12/20 - Chase UA - Sort of instant denied (didn't give a denied message, but that's what they said when I called)

Thoughts? Recon now, wait until 4/1... or just take a break from new cards for awhile (5/1? 6/1?)... Thanks,
--Kyle

Edit: Other Chase cards I currently have (also Chase personal checking and business checking):
Sapphire Reserve
Freedom
IHG
IHG Premier
Southwest Plus
Southwest Performance Biz
Ink Cash
Ink Biz Preferred
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
To practice law she needs a license. Does the California Bar provide a document that lists her name and address?
Yes and no, she's no longer active, she's not practicing law just provides legal related services.

Sorry about my comment before, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is frustrated that the more important card related needs are being handled off shore by less than qualified people. Is there a better number to call other than the one they provide on the letter, to get to a US based individual.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:15 pm
mia

There is a list of telephone numbers in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. (800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep Is this the number you are calling?

Even inactive California bar members are listed here: http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Lic...ch/QuickSearch Sending a copy of that page could verify the address, if it matches, but it might cause more problems than it would solve if they do not accept the possibility that an Inactive lawyer may still operate a business. Ms mia is also a lawyer, and Chase did not ask for anything like this, but she only applied for one Business card.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:18 pm

If I upgrade an existing Amex from gold to platinum, I don't think they run a credit report, and therefore that would not count in Chase's 5/24 counting. Can someone please confirm that? Much appreciated
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
If I upgrade an existing Amex from gold to platinum, I don't think they run a credit report, and therefore that would not count in Chase's 5/24 counting. Can someone please confirm that? Much appreciated
Confirmed. It isn't a new account.
--Kyle
cheaptom likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
There is a list of telephone numbers in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. (800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep Is this the number you are calling?

Even inactive California bar members are listed here: Attorney Search - The State Bar of California Sending a copy of that page could verify the address, if it matches, but it might cause more problems than it would solve if they do not accept the possibility that an Inactive lawyer may still operate a business. Ms mia is also a lawyer, and Chase did not ask for anything like this, but she only applied for one Business card.
I may send this to them after all, if she can still even be considered. Got a letter saying that since she hasn’t sent the necessary information they could no longer process the application. Could she still open this back up by calling the reconsideration number?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:23 am

Just tried for the Chase Ink Business Cash card and got a denial for being 5+/24. I thought Biz cards didn’t count?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:25 am
mia

Originally Posted by DVDBob
Just tried for the Chase Ink Business Cash card and got a denial for being 5+/24. I thought Biz cards didn’t count?
Opening a Business card does not (usually) increase your N/24 total, but you must be below 5/24 to open a Chase account, personal or business.
sdsearch and tstauck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.