Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I just applied for the United Infinite card and got the we need a little longer response. While i do already have 4 chase personal cards i am under 5/24. Is the general rule to just wait? I have a fair amount of spend (9-10K) coming up that i actually really to do. So i want this card ASAP. I have not had a United card is about 6-7 years. This will go a long way towards some J/F class international flights, which are still a special treat for me.
I would be proactive and call Chase (numbers in the wiki above.)

It may be something as simple as identity verification or you may be able to offer to move credit limits around to facilitate approval.
RNE and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Hi;

I'm wondering if anyone has recent data points on the willingness of Chase to ignore authorized user accounts that take you over 5/24. I know Chase isn't quite as free with granting cards as they used to be.

Any recent updates on getting authorized users excluded from 5/24? My wife is 2/24 excluding but 6/24 including. Looking for post 5/1 data points.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2020 at 7:52 pm Reason: Consolidate posts after merging two threads.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:00 am

Scenario: Spouse#1 has non chase personal card. More than two years later, Spouse#1 adds Spouse #2 as an AU on this account. Au now shows up on Spouse #2 's credit report, will it show the account as opened when Spouse #1 opened it, or when it hit Spouse #2 's credit report? Trying to see how this affects Chase 5/24 for Spouse #2 .
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:54 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Scenario: Spouse#1 has non chase personal card. More than two years later, Spouse#1 adds Spouse #2 as an AU on this account. Au now shows up on Spouse #2 's credit report, will it show the account as opened when Spouse #1 opened it, or when it hit Spouse #2 's credit report?
When Spouse #1 opened it.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I was declined for a WoH card despite FICO >800 and 4/24. I called reconsideration and they said that they had taken into account the business cards I had opened over the last year (I opened the Ink trifecta in 2019, spaced out over months). They were looking at my Chase business cards, not all business cards, so they're clearly tightening things.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
When Spouse #1 opened it.
Thanks, it's a BoA card, and I see "card opened" printed on the AU card as 2020 but I opened it more than two years ago myself (#1 ) and the AU 16 digit on #2 is the same as #1 .
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi there. I am trying to remove a few AU accounts from my credit report (where I was the AU) that would put me under 5/24. For open accounts, it's straight forward - I ask the bank to remove me, they report the closure to the credit bureau (CB), and my CR gets updated. I can also dispute with the CB directly for faster result (after bank removes my AU). I have done the above.

However, some of these primary accounts are closed. I was not removed as AU before closure, and it still appears on my CR. Now, I'm pretty sure on previous instances of this, I convinced the CB agent (AND website, IIRC) to remove those from my CR, on the basis that these closed accounts are not mine (any more). However, it seems not working this time with Experian via their dispute website. My next step is to call them, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to remove closed accounts where you were the AU from your CR?

Now, I know it's possible to convince Chase agent to not count the AU accounts for 5/24, but I'd rather clean up the CR and avoid that conversation.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by synzero
I was declined for a WoH card despite FICO >800 and 4/24. I called reconsideration and they said that they had taken into account the business cards I had opened over the last year (I opened the Ink trifecta in 2019, spaced out over months). They were looking at my Chase business cards, not all business cards, so they're clearly tightening things.
If true this must be another recent development. When I dropped to 4/24 in early 2020 I opened a SW business card and not long after a SW personal card.

If Chase was counting my Chase Southwest business card I would have been 5/24 when I was approved for the SW personal card ( 6/24 after approval) and also 5/24 when I applied for my next Chase card and so on.

I always apply for my next Chase card when I drop to 4/24..............if that first business card was being counted I would have never dropped to 4/24

I wonder if Chase is only counting "CHASE" business cards and not co branded.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If true this must be another recent development.
Or it could be just something about how that particular person's application was processed. It could be, for example, that they don't look at Chase business cards when the computer handles the whole application, but they might if an agent has to handle it manually for some reason.

So just because it happened to one person doesn't prove that it's a new rule that affects everyone. It could be, but it might not be. We need more datapoints from now onward to determine that.

Or it could be that the Chase agent gave that person the wrong reason for denial. There are some rumors out there that 5/24 has become 4/24 for some people during the Covid era, and so maybe it became 4/24 for that person, but the agent didn't know that so just fished for a plausible explanation.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:28 am

" you already have the maximum amount of credit we can offer"

A friend applied for a Chase personal card and was not approved. The explanation from Chase was, " you already have the maximum amount of credit we can offer you. Your current amount of credit is enough in relation to your income."

What are the remedies for this? Will reducing credit limits on existing cards and closing a few cards make a difference?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Should have offered to reallocate some credit line from one or more cards to the applying for card.

With the reconsideration line that used to work.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by iowa guy
A friend applied for a Chase personal card and was not approved. The explanation from Chase was, " you already have the maximum amount of credit we can offer you. Your current amount of credit is enough in relation to your income."

What are the remedies for this? Will reducing credit limits on existing cards and closing a few cards make a difference?

Thanks
Those 2 options could lead to an approval. Have him lower his current limits, most of mine are at $2000 except CSR, by sending a request through SM. Then he can call recon and plead his case. They may, or may not, ask him to close a card also.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by iowa guy

Thanks
As others have suggested, your "friend" should call Chase and offer to move credit from one card to the applied-for card.

Also, have your friend ensure they're declaring their full income. I forgot to include a recently begun pension in my annual income declaration. That increased it by $50k. Not chump change. Of course, not everyone begins a pension, but there could be income streams being overlooks. Even small ones could make a difference between approval and denial. And spousal income should be looked at as well.

Good luck to your friend.
philemer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
Those 2 options could lead to an approval. Have him lower his current limits, most of mine are at $2000 except CSR, by sending a request through SM. Then he can call recon and plead his case. They may, or may not, ask him to close a card also.

I would think it would be better not to do anything except tell Chase 'I dont want any more credit advanced to me. but rather would like the new card by moving the CL from what I alreday have to the new card'. If you 1st move it and then ask and are denied you now sit will the loss of the CLs you got rid of and less bargaining room in the future. Could be there are other reasons that Chase didnt specify why they wont allow a new card , so lowering the CLs 1st still will yield a denial
philemer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The United Infinite card in light of the 100K by September 30 is beginning to grow on me. I was wondering which scores people have had when applying. A website suggested a FICO 8 score in the 800s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.