Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gq_dq
If 5/24 means no more 4 in 24 months then is it more like 3/6 and 4/12 i.e. no more than 2 in 6 months and 3 in 12 months?

Frankly I would sooooo much prefer it be called 4/24 and that way easily understood to be “no more than 4”. Then the new ones will be 2/6 and 3/12.
The problem is that it's been "no more than 4" for some people but "no more than 5" for other people. No way to know which one you are. So that's why it's called 5/24, because it's definitely "more than 5", and for many people it's "5 or more", and the same name works for both.

In case you're not aware, that's what made is so difficult to figure out for a long time whether Chase counted its own business cards. We had find someone who was at 4/24 or less if Chase didn't count them, and would have been at 6/24 or more if Chase had counted them, to be sure that they hadn't counted them. Someone who would have been at 5/24 if Chase had counted them wouldn't have proved anything by itself, since some people were allowed exactly 5 anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
Pardon me, if I am not up to date on Chase recon. I have been out of chase since 2018. We just applied for a personal united explorer card and got a denial letter (posted online). "You already have the max. amount of credit we can offer in relation to your income"
Is chase still able to move limits from business card to open a new card? It used to be but I am not sure.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The problem is that it's been "no more than 4" for some people but "no more than 5" for other people.
It's always "no more than 4". Those "other people", as you call them, don't understand what counts and what doesn't. Every single time someone's made the claim that they were approved for a Chase card at 5/24, I've been able to debunk it with further questioning. Every single time without fail. Most often they're counting a card that's been approved but hasn't yet appeared on their credit report.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's always "no more than 4". Those "other people", as you call them, don't understand what counts and what doesn't. Every single time someone's made the claim that they were approved for a Chase card at 5/24, I've been able to debunk it with further questioning. Every single time without fail. Most often they're counting a card that's been approved but hasn't yet appeared on their credit report.
Really? Every single time you've been able to debunk it with further questioning?

That sounds astounding, because at least half the time in these FlyerTalk threads, when I try do further questioning (or see other people do it), it falls on deaf ears. Often because the OPs never return to that thread (especially before FT started doing notifications of replies to your posts).

So if you meant every single time that they answered your questions, that would make sense. But every single person who posted such a claim actually answering your questions, that is what I find so hard to believe. And in that case, for those who never answered, how do you know for sure that they didn't have other answers than you expected?

In all the years that I've following the Applying threads here in the Chase forum, your post above is the first time I've heard someone claim that they know for sure that it's always "no more than 4". So you obviously weren't around during previous discussions about this (in previous versions of the Applying thread) in this forum in previous years, including the one trying to figure out how to prove whether Chase business cards are counted against 5/24 (which would never have been hard if it had been clear at that point that it was always "no more than 4", but which made hard because everyone involved in that discussion back then assumed it could be either "no more than 4" or "no more than 5").
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....obviously weren't around during previous discussions about this .....
I know things today that I did not know last week, last year, or in the previous century. People can learn from these discussions, and from other experiences, and have a firm opinion today when they were undecided earlier.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:09 am

Really? Every single time you've been able to debunk it with further questioning?

That sounds astounding, because at least half the time in these FlyerTalk threads, when I try do further questioning (or see other people do it), it falls on deaf ears. Often because the OPs never return to that thread (especially before FT started doing notifications of replies to your posts).

So if you meant every single time that they answered your questions, that would make sense. But every single person who posted such a claim actually answering your questions, that is what I find so hard to believe. And in that case, for those who never answered, how do you know for sure that they didn't have other answers than you expected?

In all the years that I've following the Applying threads here in the Chase forum, your post above is the first time I've heard someone claim that they know for sure that it's always "no more than 4". So you obviously weren't around during previous discussions about this (in previous versions of the Applying thread) in this forum in previous years, including the one trying to figure out how to prove whether Chase business cards are counted against 5/24 (which would never have been hard if it had been clear at that point that it was always "no more than 4", but which made hard because everyone involved in that discussion back then assumed it could be either "no more than 4" or "no more than 5").
Of course I mean of those that took the time to reply. How could I debunk otherwise? I can't recall if that's happened at all here, but I've done it countless times on reddit and via reader emails through my website.

I will agree that when the 5/24 rule was first applied by Chase, it was murky. And, yes, I was around. All we had to go on were data points. Those data points were unreliable at best. To this day, I'm not sure if Chase biz cards counted at the outset. But you know what? I don't really care. I live in the present day. More than enough time has gone by, and I've seen more than enough reliable data points. The numerator in Chase's 5/24 rule is the same for everyone.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:41 pm

Hear hear!! Well I've heard enuf to know that I'm now calling it 4/24... others can call it whatever they want. That way I got me a no guess no mess rule of thumb to never apply for a Chase card if over 4/24 no matter what... well... maybe except if I'm 5/24 due to an AU situation... and then I'll be prepared to escalate to a Tier 2 Super ... but frankly if one knows they need to be <= 4/24 in N months then it's up to them to be proactive about not getting thrown on as AUs.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
A few months back applying for the UA personal, I was at 3/24, but with 6 Amex AU's on top of that showing on credit report so it went pending as expected. I was fully expecting to call in to get those removed for reconsideration, but pleasantly shocked to be approved about a week later without any action on my part. Same situation for another friend but it was never approved, and denied for reconsideration after calling in a few weeks later.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:28 pm

5/24 for us has always meant AT LEAST 5 Chase personal cards in 24 months, we max out Chase before looking elsewhere. We never tried for a 6th Chase card so I can't say for sure what would happen.

We take turns, one of us stops getting card for ~ 2 years, the other starts and so on.

When the person who stopped getting cards hits 4/24 they start again.

We have a player # 3 who does not travel so we get cards in my dads name and use the points

P3 just fell to 4/24 in March, I opened him a 140K IHG. He fell back under 5/24 again in June and received IA for the Southwest card today.

P3 fell to 4/24 on June 4 , IA for IHG 140K on 6/15/20.............fell under 5/24 again on June 28............IA approval for SW card using my referral on 8/11/20

2 Chase cards in less than 2 months.
tstauck likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 13, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
5/24 for us has always meant AT LEAST 5 Chase personal cards in 24 months
Prepare for intensive interrogation.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:24 am
RNE

Originally Posted by frudd38
A few months back applying for the UA personal, I was at 3/24, but with 6 Amex AU's on top of that showing on credit report so it went pending as expected. I was fully expecting to call in to get those removed for reconsideration, but pleasantly shocked to be approved about a week later without any action on my part.
You can have 600 AUs; the number doesn't matter. What counts is how many months ago those cards were opened.

Originally Posted by mia
I know things today that I did not know last week, last year, or in the previous century. People can learn from these discussions, and from other experiences...
Unless you're me. There's nothing I can learn. I'm omniscient.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
You can have 600 AUs; the number doesn't matter. What counts is how many months ago those cards were opened.
To clarify, 6 AU's were within 24 months (which is the context/topic here).. So my point was they proactively looked at my report and did not consider the AU's while from other experiences they usually didn't proactively do this and you have to call in to get it removed from consideration for 5/24.
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Hear hear!! Well I've heard enuf to know that I'm now calling it 4/24... others can call it whatever they want
Well, then, nobody will know what you're talking about. The reason everybody uses the same terms is because then everybody understands what they mean. If you create a new term, most people won't understand you, so what the real point? The point of using these terms is to COMMUNICATE, and thus it much more sense to use the same term as everybody else, instead of confusing everyone by making up your own term. If you start posting about 4/24, countless people will think that Chase has tightened up by 1 from 5/24. No one who hasn't read your posts will understand that you meant the same thing by 4/24 that others mean by 5/24.
RNE and flyer4512 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:18 am

Well, then, nobody will know what you're talking about. The reason everybody uses the same terms is because then everybody understands what they mean. If you create a new term, most people won't understand you, so what the real point? The point of using these terms is to COMMUNICATE, and thus it much more sense to use the same term as everybody else, instead of confusing everyone by making up your own term. If you start posting about 4/24, countless people will think that Chase has tightened up by 1 from 5/24. No one who hasn't read your posts will understand that you meant the same thing by 4/24 that others mean by 5/24.
I know right! I won't be the first one who'll be confused!! Or in hipsta speak, No mo dan fo twen fo iz how I flo. OK maybe that's a bit over.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I just applied for the United Infinite card and got the we need a little longer response. While i do already have 4 chase personal cards i am under 5/24. Is the general rule to just wait? I have a fair amount of spend (9-10K) coming up that i actually really to do. So i want this card ASAP. I have not had a United card is about 6-7 years. This will go a long way towards some J/F class international flights, which are still a special treat for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.