Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:09 am

Marriott Boundless - negligible spend on card (~$100), paid AFs for the past few times.
Called twice, both times reps immediately replied no credits available...doesn't feel like they even tried to look.

Last edited by Yunnnn; Jun 14, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
British Airways

Offered a $50 statement credit, no spend. No other offers. Accepted.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Marriott Boundless Personal Card

Marriott Boundless Personal, have had it for years, minimal spend, no offers, even with a supervisor (I didn't ask for one, the front line rep just transferred me without asking)

Will probably cancel... have a few weeks left to decide.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:43 am

United MileagePlus Explorer card. $95 annual fee due yesterday. Not a whole lot of use in the last year. I asked if there was a statement credit or any break on the fee, pointed out I am not traveling lately but hope to do so in the future, and have multiple cards and accounts with Chase (all our banking is there). Was told the only offer was a limited-time low APR rate, which I don't care about. Cancelled.

They were not going to get the $95 either way but could have kept me as a user of the card! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Ritz Carlton VISA

Data point: called today to ask whether offers were available (my annual fee just posted) and was told I could receive a $150 "courtesy credit". Not bad! In a year where it's not easy to use the card's benefits, the credit helps justify keeping the card.

Last edited by mia; Jun 16, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Also for the Marriott Boundless. Asked if Chase was offering anything for the annual fee considering the current situation. He immediately offered a $100 statement credit without making me listen to any script. Super easy and extremely professional.
Has anyone seen these $100 credits post on their accounts? I cant seem to recall what time frame he gave me. I had called on 6/11
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:52 pm

How long does it usually take for a no-spend statement credit retention offer to post?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Marriott Boundless - negligible spend on card (~$100), paid AFs for the past few times.
Called twice, both times reps immediately replied no credits available...doesn't feel like they even tried to look.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Marriott Boundless Personal, have had it for years, minimal spend, no offers, even with a supervisor (I didn't ask for one, the front line rep just transferred me without asking)

Will probably cancel... have a few weeks left to decide.
I've had this card for many years through its various names. I rarely use it, but each year have asked for any type of retention offer, declined every single time. And with the Bold card now available, I'm always directed to downgrade to avoid the annual fee.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by chicagoal
United MileagePlus Explorer card. $95 annual fee due yesterday. Not a whole lot of use in the last year. I asked if there was a statement credit or any break on the fee, pointed out I am not traveling lately but hope to do so in the future, and have multiple cards and accounts with Chase (all our banking is there). Was told the only offer was a limited-time low APR rate, which I don't care about. Cancelled.

They were not going to get the $95 either way but could have kept me as a user of the card! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same here. No offer other than to downgrade to no AF card, wait 12 months, and then I can upgrade again if I so desire. I use my card - and surprised they don't want to keep me.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:34 pm

Anyone?

Originally Posted by anabolism
How long does it usually take for a no-spend statement credit retention offer to post?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:33 pm

Southwest Premier Business

No offers after calling four times in the last two weeks and saying I was thinking of cancelling. The AF posted on June 1st. I've only spent $4 on the card in the last year.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:20 pm
soy

Programs: various
Marriott Boundless, 5yrs old, negligible spend.
Encouraged by posts upthread, called up asking for fee relief due to Covid and agent offered to look before telling me no offers. HUCA with same result, other than this time suggesting downgrade to Bold.
3rd time a charm, right - so called up a next day and this time said I was thinking of closing. Agent asked my name.....and then told me account was closed

Called back later and they re-instated it, but stunned how quickly it was closed, especially when I just said I was 'considering' it. Never even asked if I was sure.
The free night is worth the fee for now, though we will see what 2021 brings.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:28 am

That's alarming! I'm just about to give up on trying to get retention offers from Chase, but in the past I've only been able to get an offer (sometimes) by saying I'm thinking of cancelling. I'm surprised you were able to re-open the account.

Originally Posted by soy
said I was thinking of closing. Agent asked my name.....and then told me account was closed

Called back later and they re-instated it, but stunned how quickly it was closed, especially when I just said I was 'considering' it. Never even asked if I was sure.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:50 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by BarronConrad
That's alarming! I'm just about to give up on trying to get retention offers from Chase, but in the past I've only been able to get an offer (sometimes) by saying I'm thinking of cancelling. I'm surprised you were able to re-open the account.
Apparently Chase will re-open within 30 days. No credit pull, same card number.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called after 2 weeks when AF billed on June 1st. No offer on Ink Plus owned for 5 years and only had one retention offer at year 2. Spend was about 11K prev 12 months.

May call one more time after statement closed in a few days. This is the only Chase card I have that has transferrability so I may keep it until I am eligible to get another Sapphire card or the Ink Pref in Jan 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.