Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
CSP, $17k in last 12 months, said I wanted to cancel. Asked if there was a retention offer, no offer. Asked for retention dept. - "I am in retention".

Said I would transfer my UR points and call back to cancel when I got to the confirm cancel step.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AC Altitude 25k, SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
CSP - No offer, cancelled card

Called today to inquire about a possible retention offer or otherwise cancellation. I've had the card since April 2017 and have never requested a retention offer from Chase. I asked about retention offers, but the phone agent didn't seem to even acknowledge that portion of my request. I went ahead with cancellation of the card. I have Amex Gold & Platinum and the Ink Business Preferred, so no huge loss for me. Will reapply next year for a new 60k bonus (assuming they're still offering it at that point in time).
Old May 10, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Called today:
CSR: could not get Chase to issue $100 statement credit against $550 AF that hits in Dec 2020 (Bold ask, but worth a try...)
United Mileage Plus: Chase wold not waive the $95 AF that hit last week, but stated that I have 41 days to cancel or downgradeto get a full refund.I need to preserve the credit line. With CSR (and AMEX) now offering 5x grocery points for a while and no plans to fly United, the value of the United card has dwindled. Any advice on what to do with this one?
Old May 10, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: AC Altitude 25k, SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Called today:
CSR: could not get Chase to issue $100 statement credit against $550 AF that hits in Dec 2020 (Bold ask, but worth a try...)
United Mileage Plus: Chase wold not waive the $95 AF that hit last week, but stated that I have 41 days to cancel or downgradeto get a full refund.I need to preserve the credit line. With CSR (and AMEX) now offering 5x grocery points for a while and no plans to fly United, the value of the United card has dwindled. Any advice on what to do with this one?
They allow you to move your credit line to another Chase card. Personally, I would cancel it after doing that and apply again with a new signup bonus after travel is practical (unless it's one of your oldest accounts). If it's one of your oldest accounts, I would probably just downgrade it.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nevermind1534
If it's one of your oldest accounts, I would probably just downgrade it.
Likely the outcome. Thanks!
Old May 10, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Likely the outcome. Thanks!
I have the old UA Select Visa. The $95 AF posted, so I reached out via secure message. No offer to compensate for the AF, so I asked if downgrade was possible. I mentioned Freedom and UA TravelBank cards as possible choices I would be interested in. Reply was that Freedom wasn’t possible (I expected that), and that I could get the No AF MileagePlus Visa. I think it earns 1/2 mile per dollar; doubt it has any meaningful benefits. Discount on inflight food/WiFi like the TravelBank perhaps? No word about the TravelBank card. I read in one of these threads about a month ago that UA no longer allowed downgrades to that card, but it appears to still be available for new signups. In any case, was told I have to call to make the switch. Added to my todo list for tomorrow.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Called today:
I used Secure Messaging to have Chase move my credit line to my Chase BA card and close the Chase United card. They said they could move all but $500, something about a maximum amount of credit that could be transferred. I had been keeping the card to prevent my UA miles from expiring (haven't flown them in years), but no need for that now.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got the United Explorer Mileage Plus business card with $95 AF due in a week. Is there any way to downgrade this to a no fee? The only reason I need to keep it, really, is to a) keep UA points alive (if not flying etc) and b) have access to more award flights (but since unlikely to even use them over the next year, prob not necessary).

If I end up canceling, can I do that via secure message? Their SM page says takes a week to respond, which gives me pause.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456
Called for a retention offer on the (now no longer available) Ritz Carlton Card.
  • The call was picked up very quickly, no hold (I think that's because it goes to the special JPM executive line)
  • Call was dropped while the first agent said he was checking...
  • Called again, got connected right away to a second agent.
  • Mentioned that I was going to be traveling less and agent was very quick to offer a $150 credit, to appear in 1 to 2 billing cycles
  • While not the greatest deal, and while the $300 annual credit is increasingly more painful to use, the net benefits including Priority Pass make it a keeper. Accepted.
Thanks heaps for sharing! I was going to cancel the card after unsuccessfully trying to get retention offer, then saw this and called again and was offered the 150 credit as well.
rj123456 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've got the United Explorer Mileage Plus business card with $95 AF due in a week. Is there any way to downgrade this to a no fee? The only reason I need to keep it, really, is to a) keep UA points alive (if not flying etc) and b) have access to more award flights (but since unlikely to even use them over the next year, prob not necessary).

If I end up canceling, can I do that via secure message? Their SM page says takes a week to respond, which gives me pause.
See my post just above yours. I cancelled via SM. I had been keeping the card to prevent UA miles from expiring, but that's not necessary since UA changed the program (before COVID-19) so that miles don't expire.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

I have received replies to my SM within 24 hrs recently (twice).
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:12 pm

Wonder what the consensus is on the wave of southwest cardholders from the end of 2019 is as far as getting AF reduced intra year? Both personal and biz cards.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mirob
Thanks heaps for sharing! I was going to cancel the card after unsuccessfully trying to get retention offer, then saw this and called again and was offered the 150 credit as well.
Did any of you get the retention offer last year. I got the %150 credit last year so not sure if they will give me this year. I heard its only every other year but 2020 is different
Old May 13, 2020, 1:33 pm

Chase Marriott Premier Plus Business. Zero spend on card since last annual fee. Retention offered $100 statement credit. Accepted! Chase is paying me $1 to use my 35k free annual night this year!!! Woo-hoo! Now if only I could leave the house....
Biscoff27 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mirob
Just called but no offer... annual fee posted a couple weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.