Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:22 am

United MP with the $95 AF. No offers, cancelled. Actual conversation with Chase rep took 90 seconds.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Ink Business Preferred, 2nd AMF, about $15K spending in the previous year (bonus + mostly 3x categories).
Asked for any offer and was told that there is none. Asked to downgrade to Unlimited and was told that the system says the account was ineligible for product change.
Will call again later and update.
Called twice and sent a SM, all got the same answer - no retention bonus and no downgrade offer. Transferred CL to Ink Cash and closed the account.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Mar 22, 2020 at 1:35 am
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:46 pm

Chase Marriott Business card

Called today and was on hold for 15+ minutes. Said the $99 annual fee had posted, mentioned that I have other business cards, and asked about any offers to motivate me to keep the card. Was offered a $100 statement credit to post in the next 1-2 statement cycles. Accepted of course. Am Chase Private Client, this is my only business card with them (have lots of personal cards); use it for some ongoing expenses that post each month, but not a huge total spend each year.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:22 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
It would be my assumption that considering the current economic state and unknown future that Chase may be ok with some of these cancellations especially from people with multiple CL's, Its a way to reduce their risk. It will be interesting to see if retention offers increase or decrease. Rewards cards are such a large part of the ecosystem since the last financial crisis.
Happy likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:45 am

Two data points from separate calls within the last week or so:

1) Amazon rewards card that I got in November. Called to cancel mainly in frustration because it only earns the 3 or 5% on amazon.com, not "all your Amazon purchases", and I buy a fair bit from amazon.de as well. I didn't ask for offers, but the friendly Filipino rep offered me $25 to keep it... oooookay, it's a no-AF card, sold. Still not using it on .de though.

2) CSR: nothing offered, just downgrades to CSP or the Freedom cards. Downgraded to CSP.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
CSP: got the card in 2019 without AF, first AF posted in March 2020, roughly $13-14 k spend during that year:

No offers, CSR only talked about downgrading and recommended Freedom Unlimited to keep my points.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
CSR: had open for 3 years. 6k organic spent last year. Explained that I am not getting as much value from card due to reduced travel because of COVID-19 and plus the new higher AF. Rep said there were no offers on account and ask I would still like to close. I decided to product change to Freedom. Have strong history with Chase (Sapphire checking, mortgage, biz cards) but didn't help get an offer here. Will get CSR or CSP for SUB in a year after I am passed the 48 month rule.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:49 pm

Southwest Priority - They are still doing the $70 statement credit. Had to wait on hold 20 minutes. The rep sounded surprised and almost grateful I accepted the offer.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:28 am

Southwest Priority
Another data point--Just called (3/26) and received $70 statement credit.
Hold time was 7 minutes, but the phone conversation was only 2 minutes.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by astrowar81
Southwest Priority
Another data point--Just called (3/26) and received $70 statement credit.
Hold time was 7 minutes, but the phone conversation was only 2 minutes.
after AF is charged or before?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
after AF is charged or before?
I've already paid the annual fee in early March.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Chase (old) IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card. Called in for a waiver or fee reduction. None offered. Asked if I could downgrade to a no-fee card, the best she do was downgrade to the IHG Traveler Credit Card with $29 AF. Did not accept and closed account.

I was going to keep this card originally but thinking about how little I will be traveling in the next year, this card with the now capped annual cert is of little use to me.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:45 pm

P2 called to cancel SW Business Premier and was greeted by a message that they were not taking calls except for a few select items and was directed to send a secure message. Did others encounter this and just hold anyway? I assume so based on the references to hold times above. We have the personal card so no real reason to keep the business so we just sent a SM to request cancellation will try for a retention offer on the personal in a couple months.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Burton Codh
P2 called to cancel SW Business Premier and was greeted by a message that they were not taking calls except for a few select items and was directed to send a secure message. Did others encounter this and just hold anyway? I assume so based on the references to hold times above. We have the personal card so no real reason to keep the business so we just sent a SM to request cancellation will try for a retention offer on the personal in a couple months.
Just got this message as well, I sent a secure message to see what they can do as my CSR annual fee hit on my March statement but I don't know when I will be able to use the benefits again
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The annual fee on my Chase United card hit a month ago (saw it on my statement when going through my mail). I tried to call to see if there might be any offers but got the same message. Can one get an offer via secure message? I've kept the card just to keep my United miles from expiring, even though I haven't flown them in years. Maybe it's time to close the card now that the miles don't expire.

Originally Posted by Burton Codh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.