Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anabolism
The annual fee on my Chase United card hit a month ago (saw it on my statement when going through my mail). I tried to call to see if there might be any offers but got the same message. Can one get an offer via secure message? I've kept the card just to keep my United miles from expiring, even though I haven't flown them in years. Maybe it's time to close the card now that the miles don't expire.
I would close it or at least downgrade it to a no-AF card. I’d send a Chase a secure message and ask about that.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:31 am

IHG Select Credit Card -- the discontinued $49 AF card
Paid the $49 AF beginning of March. I called to get a retention offer two weeks ago, when the call centers were still open. They didn't have any retention offers, but the Rep at the time, told me to call back in a week or so because things are constantly changing and a retention offer might show up. Well, the call centers closed since then, and so I sent a SM asking for a retention offer, or to close the account if there is no offer. I received a SM saying the card will be closed and the AF will be refunded.

Time line
March 24 - Call asking for retention--nothing offered
March 30 - Sent SM to ask for retention and/or cancel card
April 5 - Received SM reply from Chase--account closed

So it is possible to close a credit card via SM. Not sure if any retention offers would be given over SM tho.

Stay safe everyone
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I would close it or at least downgrade it to a no-AF card. I’d send a Chase a secure message and ask about that.
I sent a secure message saying I'm not sure the card is worth $95 and asking if there are any offers to offset the fee. After I sent it, the system says it may take a week to get a reply.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I sent a secure message saying I'm not sure the card is worth $95 and asking if there are any offers to offset the fee. After I sent it, the system says it may take a week to get a reply.
That jives with the timeline in the post right above yours, it seems. Looks like they are swamped.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That jives with the timeline in the post right above yours, it seems. Looks like they are swamped.
Yeah. I guess I'll pay the $95 since it's now due, and if they don't have an offer and I close the account, they can credit it back to me on one of my other Chase cards.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I canceled my Chase Southwest RR Premier after the $99 AF posted. I had charged roughly $9,000 to it in the past 12 months (and much more in previous years). A Chase representative offered a $100 statement credit, no spend required. I turned it down because I just don't need this card, especially now. I have an active Southwest biz card and plan to apply for a new personal card later in the year.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:37 am

I called in for my Hyatt card, the old one $75 annual fee, they had a $35 statement credit. I took it. I figured it means my free night, if I ever can use it is only $40.
guybrush420 and happychic like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Yeah. I guess I'll pay the $95 since it's now due, and if they don't have an offer and I close the account, they can credit it back to me on one of my other Chase cards.
It's a little late, but for anyone else, UA miles haven't expired since mid 2019. So that shouldn't be a reason to keep any chase ua card. And, just now, around 7:45pm est, I called and waited only 3 mins to connect. I asked to cancel my ua mileageplus explorer due not wanting to pay AF and was presented no RO, just a quick confirmation of cancellation.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jb0506
I called in for my Hyatt card, the old one $75 annual fee, they had a $35 statement credit. I took it. I figured it means my free night, if I ever can use it is only $40.
how much spend over the past 12 months?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Called for a retention offer on the (now no longer available) Ritz Carlton Card.
  • The call was picked up very quickly, no hold (I think that's because it goes to the special JPM executive line)
  • Call was dropped while the first agent said he was checking...
  • Called again, got connected right away to a second agent.
  • Mentioned that I was going to be traveling less and agent was very quick to offer a $150 credit, to appear in 1 to 2 billing cycles
  • While not the greatest deal, and while the $300 annual credit is increasingly more painful to use, the net benefits including Priority Pass make it a keeper. Accepted.
lamont2718 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:39 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Visa

Originally Posted by rj123456
Called for a retention offer on the (now no longer available) Ritz Carlton Card.
  • The call was picked up very quickly, no hold (I think that's because it goes to the special JPM executive line)
  • Call was dropped while the first agent said he was checking...
  • Called again, got connected right away to a second agent.
  • Mentioned that I was going to be traveling less and agent was very quick to offer a $150 credit, to appear in 1 to 2 billing cycles
  • While not the greatest deal, and while the $300 annual credit is increasingly more painful to use, the net benefits including Priority Pass make it a keeper. Accepted.
I'm on a roll today...very little spend on the Marriott Business Visa. $99 AF was auto-paid 2 days ago. Called and was offered a $100 statement credit.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by rj123456
I'm on a roll today...very little spend on the Marriott Business Visa. $99 AF was auto-paid 2 days ago. Called and was offered a $100 statement credit.
What was the wording you give to get the $100 offer? I was denied any offers other than a reduction in minimum payment requirement.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by silvervknight
What was the wording you give to get the $100 offer? I was denied any offers other than a reduction in minimum payment requirement.
I told them that with everything going on I would be traveling much less and the Marriott card would not be very useful to me. FWIW not much spend on this card, but have a great relationship with Chase. (Private Client, multiple bank accounts etc).
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:05 pm

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $60 Retention Offered

AF on my CSP hit on 1st week of April. I tried calling during first 2 weeks but couldn't get through due to wait times. I tried again this week and got through. Initially I was told there are no offers and I had decided to close my account but then the agent told he could see a $60 retention offer when he proceeded to close the account. I took up the offer and keeping the card for 1 more year.

I guess in the current scenario Chase is looking to offer less retention offers and only provide them when pressed forward with cancelation and even that could be YMMV.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I'm March GF cancelled her UA card, no offers, downgraded get Sapphire Preferred to Freedom on March 31.

On April 23, I cancelled my Iberia, Iberia had significant spend on it, but no offers so closed it.

Likely to close most of my Chase cards and transition to other cards with bonuses, I've been loyal, not constantly opening be accounts for bonuses, but when there is a real travel downturn and Chase is just looking for money, they can pay to reacquire me later.

Last edited by zabes64; Apr 26, 2020 at 6:32 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.