Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:55 am

What's the current method to cancel card or see if there's a retention offer? I have the old $49 IHG card.

When I call the number on the back of card, it provides a list of services that the call center can handle...... canceling a card wasn't one of them. I went to go send a secured message to Chase but it said expect 1 week for a response. I need to make a move here by the end of the week. I just don't want to bombard the call center if they're limited right now due to COVID-19. Is calling in still the way to go?

Edit: I just called the number on the back of the card and waited through the prompts to speak with a rep.

No retention offer on the $49 IHG. Option to downgrade to $29 IHG club card. Canceled card.

Last edited by m22nyc25; Apr 27, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:51 pm

I have the old Hyatt card with the $75 annual fee that was due as part of my last statement. I called the number on the back of my card today and went through all the prompts before I got to a live agent.

I indicated I was thinking about canceling my card because of COVID-19 and not being able to travel any time soon. The Agent mentioned something about how I should try to accrue points now because we all will be able to travel later in the year before immediately indicating that Chase is offering a $35 statement credit with no conditions/spend requirements. I accepted the offer, rationalizing it as a $40 cost for the free hotel night that I'll eventually use.

Going through the prompts and waiting on hold took about 9 min, the actual conversation with the Agent took about 1 min.
sdsearch and happychic like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
I'm a longtime CSR holder, also have Bonvoy Boundless, Freedom Unlimited, and Freedom.
Am also Chase Private Client

CSR AF hits Oct 1
Boundless hit March 1

Called for CSR and Bonvoy Boundless and got nothing on either.

Does anyone know if HUCA has any success here?

That's pretty shameful IMHO. CitiGold constantly sending me great offers so might when I have time plan it out.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Retention offers are most likely during the brief time period where the annual fee has posted to your statement but has not yet been paid by you. So your window for the Boundless may have just passed, and for the CSR, it's still a few months off. That said, Chase has been very stingy with retention offers for years, and only recently have DP started up again in a meaningful way. It's still hit or miss.

A sure bet to reduce your expenses would be to downgrade the CSR and get the difference in annual fee charges reimbursed for the remainder of your cardmember year and until your personal travel resumes enough to warrant the fees, presumably about a year off. This is a route I'm considering for our pair of sockdrawered CSRs.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
....for the CSR, it's still a few months off. ....
To my knowledge Chase has not offered retention bonuses on Sapphire Reserve, but has been giving some cardholders a preemptive $100 credit at renewal to offset the fee increase from $450 to $550.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Haven't used last year free night so far so I am thinking of cancelling the IHG card with $89 annual fees. Anyways with 40000 point cap its not much useful. They have already credited free night cert for renewal. What happens if I cancel the card now? Do I loose those free night certs or get to keep them?
Old May 4, 2020, 11:42 am

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless(TM) Credit Card

Annual Fee post $95 and called but told zero offset or rebate so transferred credit line to another Chase card and closed the account, minimal spend on this card just took the sign up bonus and done.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Legacy UA (Platinum + Club)

Legacy United MP Platinum $140: haven't used in over a year and never used the annual companion certificate. No retention - wasn't expecting one anyway so finally closed the account.
Legacy United MP Club $450: Offered $100 statement credit to soften the blow with zero spend - took it as as the new club card even with 100k bonus miles and better earnings I still can't justify a $550 annual fee to mainly use the overcrowded clubs when they do all reopen - probably will cancel this card in 2021.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:51 pm

I called today, waited on hold about 15 minutes, then spoke to a Chase rep. I told her I was considering canceling my Chase IHG Premier card and she said, "one moment, let me transfer you to the retention department." After about 40 seconds, she returned to the line and started telling me the details about a card she could downgrade me to. I interrupted her and said, "I'm sorry, I thought you were transferring me to the retention department?" She stammered a bit and awkwardly said "due to COVID19 we don't have a retention department right now", then went back into her spiel about a downgraded card.

It appears that others have had success in getting connected to the retention department in recent days -- maybe they are using a different #? I'm calling the phone number printed on the back of the Chase card.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
sent this via SM? Think it will get me anywhere?

"Could you please waive my annual fee on my United card this year as I cannot travel due to the virus? I might like to keep the card but it does not make sense to pay the fee right now.

Please do not make me call the 800 number to inquire about this as your hold times are incredibly long and your banner ads say to not bother calling in."
Old May 5, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
sent this via SM? Think it will get me anywhere?

"Could you please waive my annual fee on my United card this year as I cannot travel due to the virus? I might like to keep the card but it does not make sense to pay the fee right now.

Please do not make me call the 800 number to inquire about this as your hold times are incredibly long and your banner ads say to not bother calling in."
IMO, you will find out in 4-5 days that this got you nowhere. Banks don't "waive" annual fees, they provide statement credits (or points/miles) to offset it. Just call, the hold times are not awful.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:12 am

Chase IHG $89 and $49 - both unable to waive fees or make offers due to the value of what I get with the card. (according to the rep) I HUCA twice each time same thing.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:04 pm

IHG ($49 fee) card. Have had it for many years, no offer. No prior offers (have never asked as the free night used to be easily worth the fee).

However, agent said my Hyatt card (for which I had already paid the fee) offered a $50 credit. Took that. It's almost like I made a dollar!
Old May 5, 2020, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pallhedge
IMO, you will find out in 4-5 days that this got you nowhere. Banks don't "waive" annual fees, they provide statement credits (or points/miles) to offset it. Just call, the hold times are not awful.
That seems consistent with the wiki:

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it.”

I am about to send a SM for my old UA Select. I guess I will start with a request for offers. If there is nothing, I will attempt to get it downgraded to the TravelBank card.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just called about my Ink Business Preferred. I didn't have to wait on hold for more than a minute after going through the phone tree. I mentioned not being able to use the card benefits because of COVID, asked for an account credit or points to offset the fee - the rep said it was not possible. I closed it. I was a little sad to see it go because I like the cell phone insurance, but I have so many cards with fees right now that something had to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.