Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
I just called and received $150 statement credit as a retention offer for my Ritz Card. My fee isn’t due until later this year. I wasn’t sure if I was to post this here or on the retention thread.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
I just called and received $150 statement credit as a retention offer for my Ritz Card. My fee isn’t due until later this year. I wasn’t sure if I was to post this here or on the retention thread.
did you get that offer last year?. Just wondering usually they offer this once in 2 years wanted to know if that changed this year.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by venkallu
did you get that offer last year?. Just wondering usually they offer this once in 2 years wanted to know if that changed this year.
No, I didn’t get it last year. This is the first time and I’m surprised it was mid-year.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:13 am

5/21/2020
United Explorer MileagePlus Business
First anniversairy, paid $95 annual fee first year.
$6k annual spend.
No offer, no option to downgrade, only to cancel.
Will call again before 41 days is over in June or will ask them to transfer credit line to another Chase account and cancel.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:59 am

Dp

ihg $49 annual fee card: no offers.
interestingly I was trying to cancel my ink cash card now to try and get a new ink cash card 2 months from now I was offered 50 bucks to keep a no annual fee card open.. Accepted right away
Old May 25, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Was wondering if anyone has not been billed the annual fee when it should be due?
Old May 25, 2020, 12:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
Was wondering if anyone has not been billed the annual fee when it should be due?
Yes, there have been previous reports of missed annual fees. Bear in mind that Chase always bills fees on the first day of a month, not on the card anniversary.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fastec34
I have the old Hyatt card with the $75 annual fee that was due as part of my last statement. I called the number on the back of my card today and went through all the prompts before I got to a live agent.

I indicated I was thinking about canceling my card because of COVID-19 and not being able to travel any time soon. The Agent mentioned something about how I should try to accrue points now because we all will be able to travel later in the year before immediately indicating that Chase is offering a $35 statement credit with no conditions/spend requirements. I accepted the offer, rationalizing it as a $40 cost for the free hotel night that I'll eventually use.

Going through the prompts and waiting on hold took about 9 min, the actual conversation with the Agent took about 1 min.
Just tried the same with the same card. No offer given. Moved the credit line and cancelled the card. Figured if/when I'm ready, better to re-sign up and get a new bonus, which would be more valuable than the Cat 4 Cert (which is a PITA to use) It's been years since i've opened the card originally.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
did you mention to cancel or did you just ask for retention offers?
Old May 29, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: UA G
Hyatt card with $15k spend on it on its first renewal. Specifically asked for both offers and retention offers and got nothing. Cancelled it.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:02 pm

I did this same thing and they offered it to me. Mine is renewing in a few months. How long did it take for credit to post
Old May 29, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, there have been previous reports of missed annual fees. Bear in mind that Chase always bills fees on the first day of a month, not on the card anniversary.
Hi Mia,
So in that case is it better to request product conversions on the 2nd and forward so you get a few extra weeks?
Old May 30, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
did you mention to cancel or did you just ask for retention offers?
I just asked for retention offers.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I did this same thing and they offered it to me. Mine is renewing in a few months. How long did it take for credit to post
It posted a few days after my request.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold
Chase Sapphire Preferred

5/31/2020
Called to cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred. I had the card for a little over four years, annual spend about $16K. I was offered a $60 statement credit to keep it which I refused. I may go for Chase Sapphire Reserve in the coming months if they increase the sign up bonus.

Last edited by dabears; May 31, 2020 at 10:47 am Reason: speling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.