Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mramvivek
I just called to check downgrade options for CSP and since I already have CF and CFU, they offered me no annual fee Sapphire card and to my surprise they said this card would have the same transfer partners as in the CSP. Anyone received similar information ? I have read in multiple forums that this card will not have any transfer partners.
That's absolutely incorrect. Clueless Chase phone reps strike again.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:35 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Anyone get a retention offer for CSR recently?

My current card expires in a couple of months. Undecided whether to keep it, though actually I have a ton of points so I would probably need another premium card.

If I do keep it, is it possible to cancel say 3 months after canceling to get the AF refunded prorated?

It's unclear if I would be able to charge enough travel to justify the AF. Especially now that they raised it!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by exp
No. There are no reports of retention offers for Sapphire Reserve.

You have 30 days to cancel for a full fee refund.

Read: New Chase policy (Oct 2016): No Annual Fee refund >30 days after AF billed.

You may receive a prorated refund if you downgrade, rather than cancelling.

Read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-2020-a.html
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:34 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Hmm okay that’s good to know.

So I got to try to get the Ink Preferred and transfer my CSR UR points to it before the annual fee is up.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by exp

My current card expires in a couple of months. Undecided whether to keep it, though actually I have a ton of points so I would probably need another premium card.

If I do keep it, is it possible to cancel say 3 months after canceling to get the AF refunded prorated?

It's unclear if I would be able to charge enough travel to justify the AF. Especially now that they raised it!
If you haven't already seen, they have been running a ton of promos on it for 5x/10x points in various categories (groceries, gas, streaming services, etc). That's helped me justify keeping the card even though my travel spend has dropped to near zero.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
British Airways card spend 30k+ for the last few years annually. AF just posted so I called - no offer - asked for no AF card > not possible/offered - asked to close - agent closed it without any offer
Nice way to loose a customer Chase
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:33 am

Called today to ask about any spending or retention offers on the Ink Preferred. Was told no offers available. Debating on whether $95 just for cell phone insurance is worth it.....already have CSR so travel benefits are not a strong consideration.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

I saw a post by someone yesterday who said s/he had gotten their annual fees waived on their Hyatt and IHG cards. My husband just had the renewal fee hit on his Priority Club card. He called and got $25 of the $49 waived. The free night had already posted.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:12 pm

Just called in to cancel my IHG Rewards Club card with the $49 AF. Wasn't expecting retentions and was fully intending on cancelling. CSR offered $25 statement credit to keep it. I ended up accepting and keeping the card.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by crapz1
Just called in to cancel my IHG Rewards Club card with the $49 AF. Wasn't expecting retentions and was fully intending on cancelling. CSR offered $25 statement credit to keep it. I ended up accepting and keeping the card.
Do you put any spend on the card?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Diners Club
Called for Southwest Plus/Premier. AF hit on both cards last month. 4+ year holder.
Offer for 6 months 1.99% interest.

...... Awful

~2k spend on each card
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by tmousewins
Ritz holder since 2018. Minimal spend, also have the Bonvoy Brilliant. I called previously and they were firm that there were no offers. Today was the end date of my statement. Called again, said that I "had a friend who got a $150 statement credit" (as seen here on FT) and said that I would really appreciate that credit. Magically, she said it WAS there. Accepted $150 statement credit. Keeping card open.
when did you first call? The first day the AF posted?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Originally Posted by tmousewins
Ritz holder since 2018. Minimal spend, also have the Bonvoy Brilliant. I called previously and they were firm that there were no offers. Today was the end date of my statement. Called again, said that I "had a friend who got a $150 statement credit" (as seen here on FT) and said that I would really appreciate that credit. Magically, she said it WAS there. Accepted $150 statement credit. Keeping card open.
Ditto here ... I called a week after my statement closed with the $450 annual fee and called in explaining that the value of the card is significantly compromised for me right now with all of the travel restrictions (a very true statement). I explained that I was having difficulty justifying paying $450 for another year of use when my ability to use my card benefits are so diminished right now (another very true statement). The rep showed understanding and appreciation for my business and immediately offered me a $150 statement credit to keep the card and pay the annual fee. No other requirements. I chose to keep the card open.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:48 pm

Got the $49 AF hit 2 days back on IHG card. If I cancel, would I lose the 2 free nights certificated I have in my IHG account?

Last edited by MNSWEEps; Aug 7, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Ditto here ... I called a week after my statement closed with the $450 annual fee and called in explaining that the value of the card is significantly compromised for me right now with all of the travel restrictions (a very true statement). I explained that I was having difficulty justifying paying $450 for another year of use when my ability to use my card benefits are so diminished right now (another very true statement). The rep showed understanding and appreciation for my business and immediately offered me a $150 statement credit to keep the card and pay the annual fee. No other requirements. I chose to keep the card open.
Do we need to wait until the statement closes? I called today, 3 days after the AF posted, and there were no offers available. Do they become available after statement closing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.