Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: motoridersd

THIS IS THE 2020 EDITION OF THE RETENTION OFFER THREAD.
THE THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE DISCUSSION HERE:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031754-chase-retention-offers-2021-a.html

Please give us the following data:
Current retention offers (specify the date [mm/dd/yyyy], the card, the offer, how long you had the card and yearly spend)

When you call, you MUST ask if there are any offers on your account. Don't ask for an AF waiver, ask if they can credit your account the $95 (or whatever your AF is) to your account. They cannot remove the AF, but they can credit an amount to offset it. If you cancel your card within 30 days of receiving retention bonus, then Chase may claw back that bonus Note that Chase has shortened the period in which you can close the card and get the fee refunded. It is 30 days for most (or all?) cards.

If you don't get a retention bonus, the card you are holding may have the option of a downgrade. Cards that are downgraded may be upgraded at a later date. Consolidated discussion of that topic is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html

The archived 2019 edition is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2019-a.html

Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier VISA

6/9/20 - No offers. Paid the $89 annual fee
7/13/20 - No offers, cancelled (card opened March 2016 and upgraded to Premier in April 2020, but zero spend on it)
12/11/20 no offers (no spend) called twice

Chase IHG rewards Club Mastercard (older version of Chase IHG)
9/9/20- $25 credit. Zero spend.
11/25/20 - $25 credit. Zero spend required.
12/1/20 - $25 credit. Zero Spend required. Almost zero spend on card and have had it ~5 years, first retention offer.
12/7/20 - $25 credit, Zero spend required, Almost Zero Spend, had card for 7 years, first retention offer

Chase Sapphire Preferred

7/6/2020 offered and took $60 account credit, had card since 2011, $100,000 spend
12/26/2020 offered $60 statement credit. accepted. Took less than 1 min. Had card for 5 yrs. Spend ~10K this year.
12/26/2020 no retention offer. Downgraded to Freedom Unlimited. Spend, ~$6K a year.
1/2/2021 Many years, variable spend, 2019 was probably around 10K (as a Reserved), 2020 less for obvious reasons, no offer, closed

Chase Sapphire Reserve

12/30/2020 Offered $150. Annual spend ~ $40k. AF hit 1 December

Chase World of Hyatt Visa
9/4/20 No offer, had a high spend
11/19/20: $35 statement credit

Chase MP Explorer
13 Nov 2020, offered and accepted $60 credit, had card since 2004, $8000 spend in 2019, $800 year to date

Chase Marriott Boundless
03 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $50 credit (towards $95 fee) with no spend required. $0 spend in last 12 months.

Chase Ritz Carlton Visa
31 Dec 2020. Offered and accepted $150 statement credit with no spend requirement. <$5k spend in 2020.

Print Wikipost

Chase Retention Offers (2020/ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If you dont want to close the card, then dont tempt the fate. For a card that is no longer available for several years already, I am not sure they could restore the "accidental closure", unlike a card that is still available to new applicants.

Also given the current risk adverse policy, it may be not as easy as before to get another card with transfer ability even on the consumer side, let alone Chase has stopped issuing business cards since April. After all it is only $50 saving even if you get it, may not worth the risk. YMMV.

Your prev question is on Ink Preferred which does not get cat bonus earning at office supplies. So it is unclear what Ink Plus retention offer could relate to Ink Pref retention offer as they are all very much card specific, on top of cardholder specific - i.e. some accounts see the offers while other accounts see none of it, on the same product.
I meant to say Ink Plus. That is the card that I have, and it is really nice to have the 5x at office supply stores.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:37 am

Second AMF on the IHG Premier, Around $5K spending for the past year. Rep offered to either downgrade it to the no-fee card, or close the account. Rep also said the free night certificate would be voided after closing the account (which seems to be incorrect) and that I have 90 days from the AMF billing date to close the account for a refund.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Second AMF on the IHG Premier
What is AMF, please?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
What is AMF, please?
I’m guessing Annual Membership Fee
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by op487062
I’m guessing Annual Membership Fee
That makes sense. I had assumed the Annual and the Fee, but I couldn't come up with Membership, probably in part because I think of myself as a customer rather than a member. Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by serpens
What is AMF, please?
Wild guess: Another pointless acronym, along with "TH" (for "taller half" and many others) that save barely any keystrokes while reducing clarity?
SPN Lifer and sdsearch like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
....Another pointless acronym,....
Not entirely. Many posters use AF for Annual Fee, which may create confusion with Air France, depending on context and the reader's background.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mia
Not entirely. Many posters use AF for Annual Fee, which may create confusion with Air France, depending on context and the reader's background.
One could just write "fee".
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mathprof
​​​​​​
Similarly aged Explorer card and maybe $2k spend this calendar year ($30k in 2019) but nothing offered to me just now. Cancelled card.
I have this situation.

Originally Posted by cubachao
holding United Explorer card since 2013, paid AF 5 years in a row. no travel plan so far. 8k spend last year. offered nothing, cancelled.
is it possible to transfer the credit limit from the explorer to another chase card, before I close the explorer?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by mia
“Annual Membership Fee” is what appeared on my statement, so AMF was what I typed. Hope this clears up for anyone who was confused by it.
mia likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

“Annual Membership Fee” is what appeared on my statement, so AMF was what I typed. Hope this clears up for anyone who was confused by it.
Yes, and thank you.

Before I asked what it meant, I searched this thread and the Glossary. At that time, AMF appeared in this thread only when used by you, and there was no entry in the Glossary. In general, I would ask and suggest that people who use acronyms have them added to the Glossary. Failing that, at least define the acronym the first time it is used in a thread.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Can we cancel on the chase website? Or do we have to phone?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:01 am

Thought I'd give it a try and called about my CSR. Agent talked about the $450 vs $550 fee, broadened use of the $300 travel credit, bonus point categories, etc. I pressed for more and they said that they would be able to check for retention offers if I'm calling to cancel the card. I said yes I'm considering it, so they checked and said theres nothing :-p
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Can we cancel on the chase website? Or do we have to phone?
You can cancel by sending a Secure Message.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second AMF on the IHG Premier, Around $5K spending for the past year. Rep offered to either downgrade it to the no-fee card, or close the account. Rep also said the free night certificate would be voided after closing the account (which seems to be incorrect) and that I have 90 days from the AMF billing date to close the account for a refund.
Be careful on the part of the 90 days part - because this is NOT Chase policy which is 30 days from the fee is billed. This is SPELLED out at the back of your paper statement, or online statement there is a section to find it.
Make sure what is the "official policy" is the same as what the rep told me. My gut feeling is the rep is wrong. You dont want to count on being told by the rep without first checking what is the actual policy if you dont want any unpleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.