Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:53 pm

The wifey is at 3/24. Applied for a Sapphire Reserve and was declined. Letter stated too many cards opened in last 24 months. Called Reconsideration. She went over her history with them, verified that she was at 3/24 and NOT at 5 or over. They also verified with her that she was only an authorized user on a few of my cards, not the primary. They said okay, we'll reconsider this and get back to you.
Today (SUNDAY), Chase Sapphire fraud dept called and left a voicemail. Said to call back on Monday as they were closed today.
Does anyone have experience what to expect when she calls??...mostly concerned about why Fraud would be calling her and not Recon Dept. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
The wifey is at 3/24. Applied for a Sapphire Reserve and was declined. Letter stated too many cards opened in last 24 months. Called Reconsideration. She went over her history with them, verified that she was at 3/24 and NOT at 5 or over. They also verified with her that she was only an authorized user on a few of my cards, not the primary. They said okay, we'll reconsider this and get back to you.
Today (SUNDAY), Chase Sapphire fraud dept called and left a voicemail. Said to call back on Monday as they were closed today.
Does anyone have experience what to expect when she calls??...mostly concerned about why Fraud would be calling her and not Recon Dept. Thanks!
Everyone that I know that has had to speak to the Fraud Prevention dept just had quick identity verification questions. They're probably just doing their due diligence to be sure that it isn't someone using a stolen identity. While I'm sure this is coincidental, they all got approved after verifying their identities
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
I'm sure this is coincidental, they all got approved after verifying their identities
Add one more to your list. She was approved today!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:01 pm

Just wanted to post a DP that differs from the Wiki:

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card

"2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720."

In my case, the header of the message shows my card number all X'ed out except for the last 4 digits.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by elsenor
For those that applied in branch on the last day, did anyone have any issues or delays with the second 50k?

I noticed only 50k had posted so I called the CSR number and was told that he would escalate the matter and should see the points after 10 business days. Then I received a somewhat conflicting letter about my call and the second 50k would take 6-8weeks...
I applied at a branch a couple of days before the last day and received the 100k points with no issue automatically.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I applied at a branch a couple of days before the last day and received the 100k points with no issue automatically.
This was just a problem for those of us that applied on the very last day in branch since they were having technical difficulties. Some folks were turned away and advised the 100k signup would not be possible. I was lucky enough to have a branch rep know the workaround, but the 100k wasn't automatic once the spend was met.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Add one more to your list. She was approved today!
Great, good to hear! Congrats and have fun
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:47 pm

Sadly I need a new card - looks like I missed the 100K sign on bonus by a few months. Is there any chance that the 100K sign on bonus will come back? I see a number of folks predicting 100K targeted mailers - did that ever come to fruition?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Sadly I need a new card - looks like I missed the 100K sign on bonus by a few months. Is there any chance that the 100K sign on bonus will come back? I see a number of folks predicting 100K targeted mailers - did that ever come to fruition?
I got in on the 100K offer at the 11th hour, applied in-branch after it dropped to 50K elsewhere and that way I still got the 100K. From what I read, that option disappeared in March.

I've not heard anything but rumors about targeted 100K offers. There's speculation that the 100K public offer may come around again, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high. The cards have been very popular -- probably more so than Chase expected. I hate to say it, but I think further nerfs are more likely than new generous promos. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:23 am

My wife was approved this morning for her Reserve!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
It may be that PP has to adapt to change. In this case, it has to adapt to success!

It seems like there is still a mutual benefit for all concerned for PP/PP members to have access to the lounges that might sit idle for much of the day. Now, PP membership has surged with the CSR and other credit cards offering membership. Travelers are more savvy, and head straight to the lounge if they can. Yes, PP saw unprecedented membership increases with the CSR, but the one year mark is approaching and cardholders will have to evaluate the fees. They can't continue to grow until they manage the members that they already have on the roster. Maybe PP membership will naturally dwindle if/when a good portion of CSR cardholders don't renew, and the capacity problem will fix itself without intervention.

Perhaps there needs to be some sort of alternative when a member can't access a lounge. When entry is denied, perhaps issue a $15 food & beverage voucher that can be used at other airport vendors? Or a 30% reimbursement up to XXX per day for dining purchases? Or, what if you, as the PP cardholding member, were able to enter with no guests, when capacity is full?

Maybe this is naive thinking, but I consider lounge access one the prime reasons to keep a high annual fee credit card.
And a now that they aren't giving the generous CSR signup bonus (main reason I signed up for the card) they are probably going to get a lot fewer new signups and I'm sure a lot of people will drop the card after the first year since the CSR doesn't have any bonus categories.

The PP option was a nice incentive for me since I fly out of LAS a lot and Delta doesn't have a skyclub there but I am in a unique situation where our firm has a large parking bill every month and we pay for our employee parking and I can charge it on my CSR and get reimbursed and with a $10K+ a month parking bill the points really add up when you use them for travel.

Something that chase could do to make the PP benefit more attractive on the high annual fee cards like CSR is work out an arrangement with United that those card holders get access like Am Ex Plats do with the Delta skyclubs. Only problem is with the Delta/Am Ex agreement you have to be flying Delta and if they did the same arrangement with United, I'm sure you'd have to be flying them as well and I'm always on Delta when I access a United lounge.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Loun...its-Distillery

Sometimes I'd even prefer it to the lounge...
Same here. One of the big benefits for lounge access for me is flight assistance during irops and the PP lounges obviously can't offer that benefit like an airline lounge
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
... the CSR doesn't have any bonus categories....
Aside from travel and dining?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Aside from travel and dining?
I meant quarterly categories like the freedom.

For most people on FT who spend a lot in travel it is a great card, especially seeing that things like parking and uber qualify as travel.

But for a lot of people like my parents that signed up for the card for the bonus (no brainer $1,500 in travel benefits or if you want the cash $1,000 in cash for an annual fee that comes out to $150 if you charge $300 in travel) who only travel a few times a year the annual fee really isn't worth it when you can get a 2% on anything cash back card with no annual fee. If it wasn't for MS I probably wouldn't keep the card since I try to put $120K a year on my delta cards for the 100K MQMs. The 100 MQMs on Delta are a lot more valuable to me than the rewards I would get on the chase card but after the minimum spend on the MQMs the CSR gets used for all my travel including delta (4.5 chase points/$ are more valuable to me than 2 skypesos/$). But people like my parents don't use the PP benefit except in Vegas since there are no PP lounges in the cities they travel to.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I meant quarterly categories like the freedom.

For most people on FT who spend a lot in travel it is a great card, especially seeing that things like parking and uber qualify as travel.

But for a lot of people like my parents that signed up for the card for the bonus (no brainer $1,500 in travel benefits or if you want the cash $1,000 in cash for an annual fee that comes out to $150 if you charge $300 in travel) who only travel a few times a year the annual fee really isn't worth it when you can get a 2% on anything cash back card with no annual fee. If it wasn't for MS I probably wouldn't keep the card since I try to put $120K a year on my delta cards for the 100K MQMs. The 100 MQMs on Delta are a lot more valuable to me than the rewards I would get on the chase card but after the minimum spend on the MQMs the CSR gets used for all my travel including delta (4.5 chase points/$ are more valuable to me than 2 skypesos/$). But people like my parents don't use the PP benefit except in Vegas since there are no PP lounges in the cities they travel to.
Even for people like us who travel a lot, out of our own dimes, CSR is still NOT worth the $150 Net AF - because the difference is only 1% above CSP which offers 1st year free if applied anew.

The 1 to 1.5 travel redemption heavily advertised by Chase is only good in theory. When put it to use, there are so many perils to worry about as evidenced in the DPs reported in the STICKY, makes the pts under CSR really should be valued the same as 1 penny / pt worth, or the value transferred to the partners, but NOT at the theoretical value of 1.5 pennies.

We almost always travel in premium cabins on international long hauls so the PP benefit for international travel is very minimal other than very occasionally dingy lounges in dingy airports (like the one we used at GDN in May - we actually would be more comfortable staying at the lobby of the Hampton Inn across street to the airport than at the dingy PP lounge inside airport).

Therefore the PP benefits to us are for domestic flights which we often fly coach.

Unfortunately domestically almost all PP accessible lounges (AS, AF/KLM) have not strictly enforced the capacity control clause that gives them right to deny PP entry - all thanks to Chase has not worked out the number of guests details - Now it means the AS lounges only admit the holder of the PP card and NO guest if it would give admission at all... This means if a couple traveling if only one spouse has the PP card, the other spouse would not be admitted unless paying for it, not to mention if a family is traveling together....

SLC only has one DL lounge...

Then for the Toronto - US the only PP transborder lounge is at T1 used by AC and UA. So if you are flying AA, you are SOL as AA uses T3.

The list can go on and on....

In this sense the PP benefit is greatly diluted for anyone who has lots of domestic travels.

Not to mention the experiences using various insurance protection with a Chase card seems to be vastly inferior than using an AMEX card...

Come Sept I suspect the attrition rate of this card would be rather high. That Dimon and his team would need more than the estimated 7 years to break even as he mentioned such on Q4 investor conference as an excuse to "mitigate" the $300 million loss incurred to introduce this card as a mean to break into the High End card market... The CSR experiences so far is anything but "High End".

It would be interesting to hear how Dimon spin the wheel in Q4 2017 investor conference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.