Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. The 2020 version is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997467-sapphire-reserve-higher-annual-fee-550-lyft-doordash-benefits.html
It was a continuation of THIS discussion.

Use this thread to discuss the Sapphire Reserve card offer. There are separate threads to discuss:

$300 Travel Credit
Priority Pass
Concierge Service
Travel Insurance
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck reimbursement.

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are (with limited exceptions) subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Landing page with bonus offer (50,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...304&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. (verified in Post #2635 ; also verified by Chase)

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
(** Note that this no longer seems to work checking on 5/18 - the account number in the secure message header is XXXXXX'd out except for last 4 digits)
(** Also I do not see any recent comments 5/18 on timely shipping or shipping method)

1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is five years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2021.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) 2017-2019, archived

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Mine was almost instantly. Does not take long
I keep reading this but on my ink preferred I met the min spend 2 days before the statement close date (which was yesterday) and I still haven't seen it posted. Hope to see it there Monday.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:45 am

Anyone having trouble with Starbucks terminals using chip?

Used it at various other places using chip and works fine but Starbucks always gives the card problems. I paid with my RCR chip on the same terminal and worked just fine.

This is from 3 different Starbucks locations, different cities.

EDIT: terminal says "Cannot Process" and when I called Chase, they said they don't see the rejected transaction
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just to clear up a question I posed earlier about Global Entry: I was told at my interview today (which took all of 10 minutes) that if you already have Pre-Check, both numbers are valid. There is no issue with have two Pre-Check accounts. I just have to wait for my older PreCheck account to expire. In the meantime, I can use either or both.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Appleman
My wife and I just had our Global Entry interviews at the airport. Easy Peasy. And reimbursement from Chase was instantaneous when we paid the fees about two weeks ago.
Same here. Went to Miami airport to get it done. Took 10 minutes.

I received our cards in about 7 days.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I keep reading this but on my ink preferred I met the min spend 2 days before the statement close date (which was yesterday) and I still haven't seen it posted. Hope to see it there Monday.
In the past, I can always see the bounces rewards pending after few days meeting the spending requirement. However, for my new Sapphire Reserve and Ink Preferred cards, I am not seeing the pending bounces and the bounces are not posted to my accounts after statements.

For the Reserve account, I met the spending 3 days before statement and 100K was not posted to the statement. It has been two weeks since meeting spending requirement, I still don't see the pending 100K yet. I did send them message and they said I have met the spending and the 100K will be posted in 6-8 weeks.

For my Ink Preferred account, I met the spending requirement 10 days before statement and just got the statement yesterday. Once again, 80K is not posted and I can't see it pending on next statement. Will send message to them and find out.

Is it happening to anyone else?

BTW, I use my cards to pay my federal tax to meet the spending requirement. Don't know if it causes the delay on posting the bounces.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by youarewbd
In the past, I can always see the bounces rewards pending after few days meeting the spending requirement. However, for my new Sapphire Reserve and Ink Preferred cards, I am not seeing the pending bounces and the bounces are not posted to my accounts after statements.

For the Reserve account, I met the spending 3 days before statement and 100K was not posted to the statement. It has been two weeks since meeting spending requirement, I still don't see the pending 100K yet. I did send them message and they said I have met the spending and the 100K will be posted in 6-8 weeks.

For my Ink Preferred account, I met the spending requirement 10 days before statement and just got the statement yesterday. Once again, 80K is not posted and I can't see it pending on next statement. Will send message to them and find out.

Is it happening to anyone else?

BTW, I use my cards to pay my federal tax to meet the spending requirement. Don't know if it causes the delay on posting the bounces.
This is the reason why. Go to the Wiki of the STICKY of this forum Apply Chase Credit Card, you will find your answer.

The spends need to be posted 7 to 10 days before statement cut, to be able show up in current statement because Chase system cuts off the tallying of required spend at least a week or more before the statement date. Well known fact as it has been like that for YEARS.

The bonus will be on your next statement.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Never said they did care. In order to make any sense out of what I said, you would have had to read the comment of the person I was responding to. Basically he said that Chase didn't like people who use cards to charge to bonus categories only. I was saying that Chase encourages that by allowing transfers from cards like the Freedom, or Freedom UL to the CSR which will allow you to get extra value out of your points.

In fact I will go on to say I earn most of my UR points with the Freedom and Freedom UL. Those two cards greatly enhance the value of the CSR and without that ability, I would not see much of a reason to keep it.
So the only thing that makes the CSR valuable is the ability to earn points with Freedom and Freedom UL. Need you to explain that.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
So the only thing that makes the CSR valuable is the ability to earn points with Freedom and Freedom UL. Need you to explain that.
It's really quite simple. With the exception of about $5,000 in spending in the dining and travel categories, the rest of my spend goes on my Freedom when I can earn 5x points in bonus categories, or Freedom UL where I can earn 1.5 points for everything else. If all this additional spend was on the CSR, it would only be earning 1 point/$. And since I'm able to transfer these over to the CSR, I'm still able to take advantage of what that card has to offer except I have a lot more points to work with. Take that away, you might as well have a 2x cash back card.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Mar 22, 2017 at 5:55 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It's really quite simple. With the exception of about $5,000 in spending in the dining and travel categories, the rest of my spend goes on my Freedom when I can earn 5x points in bonus categories, or Freedom UL where I can earn 1.5 points for everything else. If all this additional spend was on the CSR, it would only be earning 1 point/$. And since I'm able to transfer these over to the CSR, I'm still able to take advantage of what that card has to offer except I have a lot more points to work with. Take that away, you might as well have a 2x cash back card.
By that reasoning, why keep the CSR at all? With the $450 fee, even after you take out the $300 travel per year, you are left paying $150 for the card. That is a bunch of points you have to make up just to get to even.

I have the Freedom and most quarters get the spend. However, some quarters the categories just don't match up. I always hit the gas and grocery quarters but some of the others I don't. I just think CSR is a pricey card to carry if you don't find value in it
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
By that reasoning, why keep the CSR at all?
The best redemption value is transferring to airline or hotel programs. To do this you must have at least one card that carries an annual fee. Most of these cost $95/year, and two are $150 (450-300). The decision for many of us is do we want a $95 card or a $150 card?

For the extra $55 Sapphire Reserve provides a Priority Pass membership, some VISA Infinite benefits, one extra point per dollar on dining, and an option to pay-with-points for revenue travel at $0.015 rather than $0.0125 or $0.01. The pay-with-points valuation drops out if you plan to transfer 100% of your points, but I think many find it useful to have this option as a backup for times when award tickets are not available at the Saver level.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by mia
The best redemption value is transferring to airline or hotel programs. To do this you must have at least one card that carries an annual fee. Most of these cost $95/year, and two are $150 (450-300). The decision for many of us is do we want a $95 card or a $150 card?

For the extra $55 Sapphire Reserve provides a Priority Pass membership, some VISA Infinite benefits, one extra point per dollar on dining, and an option to pay-with-points for revenue travel at $0.015 rather than $0.0125 or $0.01. The pay-with-points valuation drops out if you plan to transfer 100% of your points, but I think many find it useful to have this option as a backup for times when award tickets are not available at the Saver level.
Excellent explanation. Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mia

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to explain that so I didn't have to.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
There's really no reason to keep the CSP over the CSR if you do any traveling at all, and if you don't, I don't suppose you'd need either card.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:10 am

I just wish they'd eliminate the $75 fee for authorized user. I have the CSR card but hubby doesn't and can't get it because of 5/24 and not being preapproved in branch. So if I want to transfer to his Hyatt or airline accounts, he has to be an authorized user. I may downgrade to CSP when my annual fee is due. I need to weigh it out.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lyst
I just wish they'd eliminate the $75 fee for authorized user. I have the CSR card but hubby doesn't and can't get it because of 5/24 and not being preapproved in branch. So if I want to transfer to his Hyatt or airline accounts, he has to be an authorized user. I may downgrade to CSP when my annual fee is due. I need to weigh it out.
Does your husband not have a UR earning card (non-CSR, like CSP)? If he does, you could transfer the UR to his account and then he could transfer to Hyatt/airline accounts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.