Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
There are two downgrade choices for this card, one that earns miles and one that earns United Airlines cash back. Downgrading a card that's over 12 months old is fine. As far as upgrading in 6 months, I'm not sure. I would imagine Chase would prefer consumers to have a fee card instead of a no fee card, but maybe someone else knows if there are any restrictions and could chime in. The UR earnings cards have some limitations.
Try asking JPM to either discount or delay the annual fee, I will be interested to see what they say
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:26 pm

Just got the following offer for my Explorer Card
Register your UnitedSM Explorer Card for this special offer by June 1, 2020, at united.com/springbonus or by clicking the button below. • Spend $1,000 on your card between April 1 and June 30, 2020.
I registered but still considering if I will do it, basically is an extra mile per dollar, I may put my non bonused spend on it, but not spending too much now except groceries and this quarter groceries is a 5x category with Chase Freedom.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by N104UA
Just got the following offer for my Explorer Card

I registered but still considering if I will do it, basically is an extra mile per dollar, I may put my non bonused spend on it, but not spending too much now except groceries and this quarter groceries is a 5x category with Chase Freedom.
not eligible on both cards
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
not eligible on both cards
eligible on a card that I will close in May. So... no thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Rock with my MP Select. (Need to keep it for credit history.)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Rock with my MP Select. (Need to keep it for credit history.)
It stays on your credit history for 10 years. Or you could ask to downgrade to a no-AF card.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:20 pm

So I see 2 offers for the explorer card:
A) 60K signup bonus for $3K purchase in 3 months, first annual fee waived
B) 25K signup bonus + $250 actual credit (not necessarily united) for $2K purchase in 3 months, first annual fee waived

Any recommendation on which version is better? Are the 35K points difference (60 - 25) worth more than the $250 credit?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
So I see 2 offers for the explorer card:
A) 60K signup bonus for $3K purchase in 3 months, first annual fee waived
B) 25K signup bonus + $250 actual credit (not necessarily united) for $2K purchase in 3 months, first annual fee waived

Any recommendation on which version is better? Are the 35K points difference (60 - 25) worth more than the $250 credit?
In a normal year, I'd gladly pay $250 for 35k UA miles, but in covid times it probably depends on your outlook for travel and whether you need cash more than miles.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:01 pm

Has anyone tried to ask Chase to upgrade the Explorer card to the Club Card and still get the sign up bonus? Amex often gives me upgrade offers but have never heard if anyone has tried with Chase.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:30 pm

2,500 bonus sign-up miles

Random

Last edited by Kens106; Dec 21, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
There are two downgrade choices for this card, one that earns miles and one that earns United Airlines cash back. Downgrading a card that's over 12 months old is fine. As far as upgrading in 6 months, I'm not sure. I would imagine Chase would prefer consumers to have a fee card instead of a no fee card, but maybe someone else knows if there are any restrictions and could chime in. The UR earnings cards have some limitations.
Called to downgrade my 1-year-old MPE card to avoid the AF. The only options offered were 1) pay the fee with $, 2) pay the fee with points, or 3) close the card. Specifically asked about PC to TravelBank card and that was not an option. Tried again with an SM, asking again for a TB card. Denied again. Said I could close the MPE card and apply for a different card.

Suggestions?
Old May 14, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jc719
Called to downgrade my 1-year-old MPE card to avoid the AF. The only options offered were 1) pay the fee with $, 2) pay the fee with points, or 3) close the card. Specifically asked about PC to TravelBank card and that was not an option. Tried again with an SM, asking again for a TB card. Denied again. Said I could close the MPE card and apply for a different card.

Suggestions?
has it been at least 366 days (maybe 367 since this year was a leap year) since you signed up? Chase will only let you downgrade cards after 1 full year so if it has been 360 days you are out of luck. If the AF hasn't hit, I would wait until it does then call about 25 days after it hits you have either 30 or 45 days after the AF to cancel and get a refund of the fee. (you should be able to see on your credit report the open date or call Chase and they will tell you)
Old May 14, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suggestions?
Ask about the United MileagePlus no-AF Card that earns 1/2 per dollar. I was offered that as a downgrade option for my UA Select VISA via Secure Message. I was *not* offered the TravelBank VISA even though I specifically asked about that one.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
has it been at least 366 days (maybe 367 since this year was a leap year) since you signed up? Chase will only let you downgrade cards after 1 full year so if it has been 360 days you are out of luck. If the AF hasn't hit, I would wait until it does then call about 25 days after it hits you have either 30 or 45 days after the AF to cancel and get a refund of the fee. (you should be able to see on your credit report the open date or call Chase and they will tell you)
I think the open date was Apr 27 (today is May 14). AF posted May 1. Statement closes May 19 (changed the payment date somewhere along the way). I'll wait a little while and try again. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:31 am

I think the open date was Apr 27 (today is May 14). AF posted May 1. Statement closes May 19 (changed the payment date somewhere along the way). I'll wait a little while and try again. Thanks.
Is your credit limit at least $5k on that card? Any lower and it can't be product changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.