Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.


Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)


Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)



Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki









Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Old Aug 13, 2020, 6:34 am
  #1051  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by mia
Which reply is accurate?
This one:

Originally Posted by shun
you can send chase a secured message
TWA884 likes this.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:35 pm
  #1052  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New york, NY
Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by pallhedge
This one:
False. You have to call for card cancellations. I think shun was just offering an alternative suggestion. You missed it because you wanted to jump in with your uninformed guess. Please preface your comment as such rather than stating an opinion so matter of factly and potentially influencing others the wrong way (wasting their time).
Finance_underling is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:39 am
  #1053  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,095
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
You have to call for card cancellations.
Not in my experience. Which card(s) have you tried to cancel by SM, and how recently were you told that you had to call? Did you pushback and tell them that there was nothing to discuss?
beltway, pallhedge and xov91 like this.
mia is online now  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:36 pm
  #1054  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
You have to call for card cancellations.
This is a false, uninformed comment. It wasn't a guess nor an opinion, so I didn't need to preface it as such. I've closed multiple Chase cards via SM, the most recent only a few short weeks ago. It's also commonly discussed on reddit churning, particularly by those opening and closing cards for spouses who don't like to call the bank.

Here is the SM response confirming my recent CSP cancellation:
Hello XXXXXX, Thank you for contacting us. We understand your concern about your account and will be more than happy to help you. We're sorry you decided to close your account and hope you consider us for any future banking needs.

XXXXX, we closed your account, as you requested. We'll credit your account for the annual fee of $95, and you'll see it within 1 to 2 billing statements. We'll update the credit reporting agencies and tell them the account is closed. In the meantime, use a copy of this letter as verification. Also, we'll continue to send monthly statements until the account has a balance of zero.

If you haven't already done so, please:

- Destroy all cards and access checks.
- Contact merchants that automatically bill the account and make other payment arrangements.
- Make payments on the balance by the due date.
- Tell anyone else who uses the account that it's closed.
- Review the current terms and conditions - they still apply.

If you no longer want to receive alerts or view your account details online, you can sign in to chase.com and manually remove them.

If your account earns rewards, check your rewards activity:

- If you redeem rewards through Chase, you have at least 30 days to use them or you'll lose them.
- If you redeem rewards through a partner loyalty program, we'll transfer them to the partner.
- Before your rewards are used or transferred, you can lose them for program misuse, fraudulent activities, failure to pay, bankruptcy, or other reasons described in the terms of your rewards program.
- See the terms of your rewards program for details.

I hope I was able to address your concern. We appreciate your business, and thank you for being a Chase customer. Have a great day.

Thank you, XXXXX Chase Email Servicing
Next time, get your facts straight before accusing someone of wasting FTers time.
beltway likes this.

Last edited by pallhedge; Aug 15, 2020 at 2:38 pm Reason: spelling correction
pallhedge is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:35 pm
  #1055  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New york, NY
Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by mia
Not in my experience. Which card(s) have you tried to cancel by SM, and how recently were you told that you had to call? Did you pushback and tell them that there was nothing to discuss?
My most recent attempt was last year when I was told to call for cancellation (I do not remember which card). And today I spoke with a Chase rep who confirmed that he has never seen a card successfully cancelled over SM. What do you mean by "pushback and tell them there was nothing to discuss"? Did they or I? Please clarify.
Finance_underling is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:44 pm
  #1056  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New york, NY
Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by pallhedge
This is a false, uninformed comment. It wasn't a guess nor an opinion, so I didn't need to preface it as such. I've closed multiple Chase cards via SM, the most recent only a few short weeks ago. It's also commonly discussed on reddit churning, particularly by those opening and closing cards for spouses who don't like to call the bank.

Here is the SM response confirming my recent CSP cancellation:Next time, get your facts straight before accusing someone of wasting FTers time.
When I stated that cards must be cancelled via phone, I was speaking from experience with SM and phone representatives. That being said, I rarely cancel and never churn cards. Therefore, I don't have that many data points as you claim to have. I'll take your word for it.
Finance_underling is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:48 pm
  #1057  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,095
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
....What do you mean by "pushback and tell them there was nothing to discuss"?.
If I ask to close an account by SM, the first reply may suggest that I "call for assistance". I explain that I do not need any help because the decision is already made, please close the account now. This has worked at every issuer, including Chase. pallhedge has also shown you that the agent you spoke with is uninformed. The SM agents have pre-written email which they send when they close an account.
beltway and TWA884 like this.
mia is online now  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 6:50 pm
  #1058  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,958
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
My most recent attempt was last year when I was told to call for cancellation (I do not remember which card).
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
I rarely cancel and never churn cards.
If you "rarely cancel" cards, is there really more than one card you canceled with Chase last year? If not, it should obvious that the only card you cancelled with Chase last year would been the one where you were told to call for cancellation, right?
sdsearch is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:24 pm
  #1059  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New york, NY
Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you "rarely cancel" cards, is there really more than one card you canceled with Chase last year? If not, it should obvious that the only card you cancelled with Chase last year would been the one where you were told to call for cancellation, right?
Sorry I don't understand or follow. RE: last year cancellation attempt, I tried to cancel the WOH or Explorer card over SM. I ended up not cancelling or calling. So you are correct (?) that it is obvious that the only card I tried to cancel was the one I was told to cancel over phone. Does this answer your question?
Finance_underling is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:58 pm
  #1060  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,958
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
Sorry I don't understand or follow. RE: last year cancellation attempt, I tried to cancel the WOH or Explorer card over SM. I ended up not cancelling or calling. So you are correct (?) that it is obvious that the only card I tried to cancel was the one I was told to cancel over phone. Does this answer your question?
Well, what I don't understand is if you really "rarely cancel" cards, then why do you not remember why you try to cancel that card and thus which card it was? If you had succeeded, it would have a cancellation which you say is "rare", so I presume the attempt to cancel would itself be rare.

I cancel relatively rarely too these days, and I remember why I decided to cancel each card I cancelled (and thus I would except that I would have remembered why I decided to cancel any card that I might have failed at cancelling).

I cancelled my Delta Amex card because it was not worth holding onto it for me, especially after Amex denied me an application for a no-AF Delta Amex card that was "picked especially for you" even though the denial was on the basis of me having the other Amex card already, which their system should have known.

I cancelled my personal AA Aviator card because they degraded the benefits and meanwhile the benefits worked at better for me on the business AA Aviator card which I had applied for several months earlier, and I didn't need both.

So you can't remember why you would have been cancelling that card, and thus which of those two cards it was? For me, the WOH card is a keeper because of the annual free night cert, while the UA card is a less obvious keeper because of lounge passes and supposed better award availability.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:10 pm
  #1061  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New york, NY
Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, what I don't understand is if you really "rarely cancel" cards, then why do you not remember why you try to cancel that card and thus which card it was? If you had succeeded, it would have a cancellation which you say is "rare", so I presume the attempt to cancel would itself be rare.

I cancel relatively rarely too these days, and I remember why I decided to cancel each card I cancelled (and thus I would except that I would have remembered why I decided to cancel any card that I might have failed at cancelling).

I cancelled my Delta Amex card because it was not worth holding onto it for me, especially after Amex denied me an application for a no-AF Delta Amex card that was "picked especially for you" even though the denial was on the basis of me having the other Amex card already, which their system should have known.

I cancelled my personal AA Aviator card because they degraded the benefits and meanwhile the benefits worked at better for me on the business AA Aviator card which I had applied for several months earlier, and I didn't need both.

So you can't remember why you would have been cancelling that card, and thus which of those two cards it was? For me, the WOH card is a keeper because of the annual free night cert, while the UA card is a less obvious keeper because of lounge passes and supposed better award availability.
I'm not sure why stating I "rarely cancel cards" is causing this extreme reaction from you. As I stated before, I tried to cancel the WOH or Explorer card but ultimately did not. Having not cancelled one or the other, I do not remember which one. I was on the fence with both last year. No offense but I did not read through your personal pros and cons for keeping some cards, but I'm sure you had good reasons for them. I clearly do not dedicate as much concern to that.
Finance_underling is offline  
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:24 pm
  #1062  
Moderator: Travel Buzz
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 3,112
Moderator Note: Lest this thread goes down the rabbit hole, let me step in with a gentle reminder: Please do not get personal with each other. Don't bicker. Be nice. Review Rule 12 for the complete details. Thanks!
TravelinSperry likes this.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:30 pm
  #1063  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SMF
Posts: 1,262
If nothing else, I learned a little more about this business regarding cards. Tact is an art and not everyone is good at it.
Tailgater is offline  
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:20 pm
  #1064  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 13,020
a data point about retention offers on this card:

just called to cancel my $95 chase explorer card, on which I have zero annual spend--except when traveling on united (which I'm obviously not at the moment). got offered a downgrade to no annual fee card, or a a $60 statement credit. took the latter.
IndyHoosier and 5557223 like this.
karenkay is offline  
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:58 pm
  #1065  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SEA/NYC/IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,017
Does anyone happen to know what the modified benefits are on the no-annual-fee version of this card? The only thing I really care about from this is access to increased award space (and maybe boarding group if/when I lose status?).
Polytonic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.