Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by karenkay
a data point about retention offers on this card:

just called to cancel my $95 chase explorer card, on which I have zero annual spend--except when traveling on united (which I'm obviously not at the moment). got offered a downgrade to no annual fee card, or a a $60 statement credit. took the latter.
thanks! I need to cancel mine. I have enough other cards; I dont even want to boost my credit limit. Ill just try the SM method.

I received a delta offer with 60000 miles so I might go for it.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
United explorer card

United explorer card Roadside Assistance/Roadside dispatch. In the past Ive use the service and whenever I need a jump there was no charge I was just looking online and it says its a paper use service now its $69.95 per event. Am I reading the wrong thing but with the united explorer card I thought it was always free and I thought we had four uses per year, or that may be the Amex old benefit. Now it says unlimited uses. Has anything changed?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:49 pm

Does anyone know if the Biz version of this card offers the same expanded award flight benefit when on the United website?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
United explorer card Roadside Assistance/Roadside dispatch. In the past Ive use the service and whenever I need a jump there was no charge I was just looking online and it says its a paper use service now its $69.95 per event. Am I reading the wrong thing but with the united explorer card I thought it was always free and I thought we had four uses per year, or that may be the Amex old benefit. Now it says unlimited uses. Has anything changed?
I don't recall free roadside assistance ever being a benefit of the Explorer card.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I don't recall free roadside assistance ever being a benefit of the Explorer card.
Yes, Ive been using it for years and never had a charge for either flat tire change or for battery jumps. I just happened to read some thing online and saw the difference in the language and thats my concern that perhaps some thing has been downgraded with the service.
Does anyone else have any first-hand experience?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Yes, I’ve been using it for years and never had a charge for either flat tire change or for battery jumps. I just happened to read some thing online and saw the difference in the language and that’s my concern that perhaps some thing has been downgraded with the service.
Does anyone else have any first-hand experience?
I have never been aware that this benefit was available.

Checking the United SM Explorer Card Visa Signature and Visa Platinum Guide to Benefits (PDF), I see the following on page 19:

Roadside Assistance

If You are stranded away from home with a roadside emergency, such as a flat tire, dead battery or mechanical breakdown, You have access to Roadside Assistance which entitles You to a variety of services while traveling in the U.S. and Canada. To access these services, call Cross Country Motor Club at 1-866-359-5402, toll-free, twenty four (24) hours a day, three hundred sixty-five (365) days a year.

Who is Covered?

You, the Cardholder, are covered when you drive any vehicle you own or lease, and when you drive a vehicle that is furnished to you by the owner, while traveling away from home.

What Types of Vehicles Are Covered?

All self-propelled, four (4) wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, with trucks limited to a carrying capacity of up to two thousand (2,000) pounds, are covered subject to the guidelines section. Commercial vehicles are not eligible for coverage.

What is Covered?

Road service events, such as flat tires, dead batteries, running out of gas, and lockouts, are covered up to a maximum of fifty ($50.00) dollars for each service event, up to four (4) events each year. Assistance will be provided for one (1) service event arising from the same cause during any consecutive seven (7) day period. Coverage includes:
  • Battery Boost – If Your vehicle won’t start due to a dead or weak battery.
  • Flat Tire Service – If You have a flat, we’ll install Your inflated spare
  • Fuel Delivery – If You run out of gas, an emergency supply will be delivered to You with the cost for up to two (2) gallons of fuel covered.
  • Twenty-four (24) Hour Towing Assistance – If a vehicle breakdown requires a tow, our toll-free assistance line has an available network of more than twenty-five thousand (25,000) twenty-four (24) hour preferred service providers across the U.S. and Canada. A customer service representative will arrange to transport the vehicle to the nearest repair facility or location of the motorist’s choice.
  • Twenty-four (24) Hour Lockout Assistance – If You accidently lock yourself out of Your vehicle, a qualified locksmith will be dispatched to unlock the vehicle. Proper identification is required at the time of service. Replacement key costs are the responsibility of the Cardholder.
“Sign and Drive” Service

In most instances, services require no cash outlay (up to the covered limit), but You must sign the provider’s service acknowledgement at the time of service. Excess charges (if any) can be applied to Your Chase card or other payment choice.

The benefits summarized above do not apply to Cardholders whose accounts have been suspended or canceled. The roadside benefits are provided to eligible Cardholders on a complimentary basis. For the full terms that apply to the program, and the state provisions, please visit: www.crosscountry-auto.com/assist24-terms. In the event your financial institution elects to modify or cancel this benefit, you will be provided with thirty (30) days advance notice via additional Guide to Benefits mailings, statement inserts, statement messages or electronic notifications.

Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:58 am

Thanks! TWA884, thats exactly the language I recall. Yes if you go over the $50 limit, the agent when making the service call will let you know. For towing, The only time I used it they took my Origin and destination address is and they said oh youre within the limit there will be no extra charge. Typically with a battery boost they will say theres no extra charge. With a flat tire change they will say no extra charge. That is the only three services I have used. Thanks so much for resourcing and posting. My confusion was from the general visa website for Roadside dispatch there was two conflicting posts I found one saying 50 some odd dollars, and one saying 60 some odd dollars will be charged to your account for each event. I dont know where thats from, I just found it on Google. Thanks again!Flying My confusion was from the general visa website for Roadside dispatch there was two conflicting posts I found one saying 50 some odd dollars, and one saying 60 some odd dollars will be charged to your account for each event. I dont know where thats from, I just found it on Google. Thanks again!Flying Machine
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:00 am

Traveling away from home

Traveling away from home In the language you had posted above TWA 884, Ive never had an issue obtaining service from my home address as well
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Price protection

I have the MPE card. Does it have price protection, is there a time limit to claim a lower price elsewhere after original purchase? Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have never been aware that this benefit was available.

Checking the United SM Explorer Card Visa Signature and Visa Platinum Guide to Benefits (PDF), I see the following on page 19:

Roadside Assistance

If You are stranded away from home with a roadside emergency, such as a flat tire, dead battery or mechanical breakdown, You have access to Roadside Assistance which entitles You to a variety of services while traveling in the U.S. and Canada. To access these services, call Cross Country Motor Club at 1-866-359-5402, toll-free, twenty four (24) hours a day, three hundred sixty-five (365) days a year.

Who is Covered?

You, the Cardholder, are covered when you drive any vehicle you own or lease, and when you drive a vehicle that is furnished to you by the owner, while traveling away from home.

What Types of Vehicles Are Covered?

All self-propelled, four (4) wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, with trucks limited to a carrying capacity of up to two thousand (2,000) pounds, are covered subject to the guidelines section. Commercial vehicles are not eligible for coverage.

What is Covered?

Road service events, such as flat tires, dead batteries, running out of gas, and lockouts, are covered up to a maximum of fifty ($50.00) dollars for each service event, up to four (4) events each year. Assistance will be provided for one (1) service event arising from the same cause during any consecutive seven (7) day period. Coverage includes:
  • Battery Boost If Your vehicle wont start due to a dead or weak battery.
  • Flat Tire Service If You have a flat, well install Your inflated spare
  • Fuel Delivery If You run out of gas, an emergency supply will be delivered to You with the cost for up to two (2) gallons of fuel covered.
  • Twenty-four (24) Hour Towing Assistance If a vehicle breakdown requires a tow, our toll-free assistance line has an available network of more than twenty-five thousand (25,000) twenty-four (24) hour preferred service providers across the U.S. and Canada. A customer service representative will arrange to transport the vehicle to the nearest repair facility or location of the motorists choice.
  • Twenty-four (24) Hour Lockout Assistance If You accidently lock yourself out of Your vehicle, a qualified locksmith will be dispatched to unlock the vehicle. Proper identification is required at the time of service. Replacement key costs are the responsibility of the Cardholder.
Sign and Drive Service

In most instances, services require no cash outlay (up to the covered limit), but You must sign the providers service acknowledgement at the time of service. Excess charges (if any) can be applied to Your Chase card or other payment choice.

The benefits summarized above do not apply to Cardholders whose accounts have been suspended or canceled. The roadside benefits are provided to eligible Cardholders on a complimentary basis. For the full terms that apply to the program, and the state provisions, please visit: www.crosscountry-auto.com/assist24-terms. In the event your financial institution elects to modify or cancel this benefit, you will be provided with thirty (30) days advance notice via additional Guide to Benefits mailings, statement inserts, statement messages or electronic notifications.

Follow up: I used Roadside Assistance in New Jersey on my mothers car in her home garage this past weekend.. My card and drivers license is registered to a California address. Not an issue at all, Service came quickly and jumped the battery. Great benefit and its still active I can confirm that!
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Extra lounge passes and disappeared lounge passes?

I opened a Mileageplus Biz card in Feb this year. In my account (viewable from the app), I see two lounge passes already deposited with Sep 30, 2021 expiration. Aren't we suppose to get the lounge passes on the card anniversary?

My dad canceled his Explorer Biz card in April this year. He received an email with two lounge passes in March. However, they don't show up on his app. Are these passes still valid?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
I opened a Mileageplus Biz card in Feb this year. In my account (viewable from the app), I see two lounge passes already deposited with Sep 30, 2021 expiration. Aren't we suppose to get the lounge passes on the card anniversary?

My dad canceled his Explorer Biz card in April this year. He received an email with two lounge passes in March. However, they don't show up on his app. Are these passes still valid?
To expound on this question - I received my passes and was accidentally downgraded to the no AF card, but then they switched me back to the Explorer...I printed out (saved to PDF) the original passes rec'd before downgrade (which have disappeared from the app), and the new passes are different numbers (which show up in the app). Wondering if the passes I printed are still usable?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 12:12 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I did not have any luck using lounge vouchers after the card had been cancelled. The dates on the emailed vouchers showed as valid. When we presented them at the lounge, the passes didn't work. This was a few weeks after the card was changed.
garkman likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:36 pm

I never realized these lounge passes became invalidated when you canceled your card. In fact, I've sold these passes on Ebay without issue. Now, I know to indicate that these passes expire on the date when my annual fee hits.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:00 pm

When the club pass gets redeemed, does it automatically disappear from your account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.