Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:38 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by KuroNekko
Hello

Can anyone tell me whether I have lounge access?

I am flying from HKG to KUL on CX J, and transiting at KUL to SIN on WY Y .

Can I use my boarding pass from the HKG to KUL to gain access to the golden lounge or the Cathay lounge.

Thanks
Your next flight out has to be on a oneworld carrier. No lounge access in KUL.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by KuroNekko
Hello

Can anyone tell me whether I have lounge access?

I am flying from HKG to KUL on CX J, and transiting at KUL to SIN on WY Y .

Can I use my boarding pass from the HKG to KUL to gain access to the golden lounge or the Cathay lounge.

Thanks
No. Even if your next flight was on a OneWorld carrier you wouldn't have access without status. Arriving business class short-haul doesn't grant lounge access in and of itself.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC - Must I flash it?
thanks for the quick response
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: HH S*G SPG FPC
Which lounge in DOH airport?

Hi I am going to be travelling in J on CX codeshared flight on QR metal for the 1st leg and 2nd leg on CX metal. From OSL-DOH-HKG.

Will I be able to access the Al Mourjan Buisness lounge? Some comments seem to say yes but when I look at the QR website it says the lounge is exclusive for QR travellers?

If not, what are my lounge alternatives on CX ticketed flight.

I haven't seen any good comments re the other biz class Oryx lounge in DOH airport.

Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there redkitty, you may (or may not ... !) have noticed that I raised pretty much the very same question myself one month ago on this same thread (post #541 dated Nov 8th) .

Unfortunately, I didn't get any answers so am still in a quandary and will be interested to see if your post brings anything.

Since first raising my query, I'm now more inclined to think that Al Mourjan is indeed restricted to QR pax only (so, no access if flying on another OW member, eg CX).

When you say what are your lounge alternatives as a CX traveller.....I believe the only option is, sadly, the seemingly substandard Oryx lounge. I'm in the same situation.

But let's hope we can get some definitive info one way or the other from someone who knows !
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there redkitty, you may (or may not ... !) have noticed that I raised pretty much the very same question myself one month ago on this same thread (post #541 dated Nov 8th) .

Unfortunately, I didn't get any answers so am still in a quandary and will be interested to see if your post brings anything.

Since first raising my query, I'm now more inclined to think that Al Mourjan is indeed restricted to QR pax only (so, no access if flying on another OW member, eg CX).

When you say what are your lounge alternatives as a CX traveller.....I believe the only option is, sadly, the seemingly substandard Oryx lounge. I'm in the same situation.

But let's hope we can get some definitive info one way or the other from someone who knows !
One data point, and it shouldn't be taken as anything more than that: in November 2014, I was departing DOH on BA in Y. I got an Oryx lounge invite and went there. Not quite understanding the distinction between that lounge and the Al Mourjan, I went to the Al Mourjan. Got in just fine with my OW sapphire status. It seems like I probably shouldn't have gotten in, but there you have it.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
One data point, and it shouldn't be taken as anything more than that: in November 2014, I was departing DOH on BA in Y. I got an Oryx lounge invite and went there. Not quite understanding the distinction between that lounge and the Al Mourjan, I went to the Al Mourjan. Got in just fine with my OW sapphire status. It seems like I probably shouldn't have gotten in, but there you have it.

Well thanks for the contribution - even if it as you say, not a direct comparison. Plus, it's possible things might have changed anyway since your own visit, given that the various QR lounge facilities at DOH have been revamped I believe (?) within the last year or so.

Hard to draw any conclusions - on the one hand your Sapphire status trumps my current lowly Ruby ; but on the other hand, you were travelling Y and I will be J.

Good that you managed it, all the same ^
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I haven't been to the Hamad International Airport, but I tend to think that some airlines may still limit access to their own passengers as well as OWE/OWS on OW flights. Access by CoS may be different. BA used to be like that, but I am not certain if they still are. That may be the case here.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by redkitty
Hi I am going to be travelling in J on CX codeshared flight on QR metal for the 1st leg and 2nd leg on CX metal. From OSL-DOH-HKG.

Will I be able to access the Al Mourjan Buisness lounge? Some comments seem to say yes but when I look at the QR website it says the lounge is exclusive for QR travellers?

If not, what are my lounge alternatives on CX ticketed flight.

I haven't seen any good comments re the other biz class Oryx lounge in DOH airport.

Thanks
I reckon you'll get in.
Their LHR lounge has the same stricture on the website, but oneworld J & F pax do have access there.

Probably worth having a look in the QR forum too.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by DH188
I reckon you'll get in.
Their LHR lounge has the same stricture on the website, but oneworld J & F pax do have access there.

Probably worth having a look in the QR forum too.
Hi there, as I am due to take same flights/route as redkitty (my posts above refer), I followed your advice and checked out the QR forum.

By sheer chance the very same issue was raised there just a day or so ago. Happily, someone with (very recent) first-hand experience then posted to say that he/she was indeed allowed access to Al Mourjan, seemingly without problem.

Sounds like your encouraging response was justified ^
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:42 am

JFK First Class lounge for Cathay? Seems to not exist...

flying for the first time from jfk to hkg departing from jfk.

there seems to be no first class lounge for cathay/British Airways at JFK. there seems to be one single "Galleries Lounge" for Business/First Class at JFK only.

is that really true?

one would think that the British Airways First Class lounge at JFK would be also available for First Class ticket holders of Cathay, right?

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Dualmonitors
flying for the first time from jfk to hkg departing from jfk.

there seems to be no first class lounge for cathay/British Airways at JFK. there seems to be one single "Galleries Lounge" for Business/First Class at JFK only.

is that really true?

one would think that the British Airways First Class lounge at JFK would be also available for First Class ticket holders of Cathay, right?

thanks in advance.
The Galleries has a first class section that you will have access to (I think that's the "First Class lounge" you are referring to). BA also operates a separate Concorde Room for their own F pax at JFK.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
The Galleries has a first class section that you will have access to (I think that's the "First Class lounge" you are referring to). BA also operates a separate Concorde Room for their own F pax at JFK.
thanks Apieinthesky.

may i ask if you mean that me, holding a Cathay boarding pass for First Class, can enter the Galleries' First Class SECTION?

also: would i be entitled to use the BA separate Concorde Room as i'm not holding a BA boarding pass?

according to the cathay site, it merely says at JFK, one can use the Galleries Lounge, with NO MENTION whatsoever of any separate First Class section at all, and certain no mention of any BA/Concorde Room.

thanks again in advance for your clarification. most appreciated.

i am a careful person and will likely arrive at JFK 3 full hours prior to departure, so that's a long time to spend there plus i have to find a place for lunch, as the flight isn't until 1:55pm!!! those airport restaurants are very so-so. i typically have gone for a "toss your own salad" type of place.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dualmonitors

also: would i be entitled to use the BA separate Concorde Room as i'm not holding a BA boarding pass?
Unfortunately not. BA's Concorde room is outside the Oneworld lounge agreement - access is strictly for BA passengers only, not those on other airlines.

The main BA lounge is divided into two - a business class section, and one for first class. You'll have access to the dedicated section for First.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
What lounge does CX use for its F class passengers flying out of Zurich?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.