Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Clarification on F Lounge use when arriving on F, departing J (long next day transit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification on F Lounge use when arriving on F, departing J (long next day transit)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ

I was just wanting to know if someone can clarify the rules for F lounge access in HKG when one arrives in F and departs in J.

I'm on CX 879 from SFO in F arriving at 1900 and I've planned to make a transit of ~24 hrs before flying to TPE in J (No afternoon/evening flights with F cabin in afternoon/evening). Does it have to be a SAME DAY connection in order to use the F lounge or will a 23 hour 'connection' still allow me access to the F lounge with my F boarding pass from the day before?

Philippine call center told me I can't use F lounge on departure because the departing flight is in J.

As I'm aware, anything under 24 hrs is a transit and not a stopover and therefore I should be entitled to use the F lounge?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
I'm not sure if CX has a policy allowing it on a next day connection, but as per oneworld rules you do not have access.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:36 am
Suspended

It's not the end of the world to be in a J lounge.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
It's not the end of the world to be in a J lounge.
He wants an answer to a question, not your opinion on the relative merits of the lounges.
itslit509 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

My experience, in 2011. We arrived in F from JFK, spent 22 hours in HKG and were flying out in J to DPS (Bali), this was a reward ticket using American miles, I did not have any kind of status with CX or AA. We were allowed to use F lounge the morning of our HKG-DPS flight as it was part of the same reservation for F-Class and this airplane only had J-Class available. I don't know if that changed, but at least that is my experience from 3 years ago.

I am doing a similar flight later this year JFK-HKG (22 hour stop) - SIN, and it is in F-class and J-Class, it is a reward ticket using AA miles, so I assumed we will be allowed to use F-Class lounge the morning of HKG-SIN flight, I hope that policy did not change.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:42 pm

Reward ticket should not make a difference in applying the rules. It is just like purchased ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: CX DM
Called MPC HK, the agent's first response was no you do not, regardless of connection length. The "reason" she offered was that, for your onward J flight, because CX already has a J lounge that you can access, therefore no special arrangements would be made for you to access the F lounge.

I mentioned this seemed to be in conflict with at least the OW rules, she offered to call the airport lounge staff to confirm, and the reply was yes, you can use the F lounge if coming off an F flight for a transit to a J.

I specifically asked if anything changes if the onward flight, while within 24 hours so that it qualifies as a transit, was on the following day, she said this does not matter as you are still transiting. You can access the F lounge at any point during your transit so long as the lounge is open. But if it is over 24 hours, it is not a transit, and you will not have this access.

So this is good news for you
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

I think if you explain clearly to the lounge reception and tell them there is no F class flight in tpe and you have been "downgraded" then they might let you in
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I don't think it's a yes officially, but as others have said, if you ask the agent nicely, more likely than not they will let you in
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
He wants an answer to a question, not your opinion on the relative merits of the lounges.
Maybe time to have this in a sticky somewhere as this is a topic that crops up time and time again, surely the powers that be on here would have noticed this by now.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by marcuslai
Called MPC HK, the agent's first response was no you do not, regardless of connection length. The "reason" she offered was that, for your onward J flight, because CX already has a J lounge that you can access, therefore no special arrangements would be made for you to access the F lounge.

I mentioned this seemed to be in conflict with at least the OW rules, she offered to call the airport lounge staff to confirm, and the reply was yes, you can use the F lounge if coming off an F flight for a transit to a J.

I specifically asked if anything changes if the onward flight, while within 24 hours so that it qualifies as a transit, was on the following day, she said this does not matter as you are still transiting. You can access the F lounge at any point during your transit so long as the lounge is open. But if it is over 24 hours, it is not a transit, and you will not have this access.

So this is good news for you
Awesome, thanks so much marcuslai! I suppose you had a better chance speaking Canto to the HK agent rather than English to the Filipino, who didn't think about contacting the lounge..

Originally Posted by correctioncx
I think if you explain clearly to the lounge reception and tell them there is no F class flight in tpe and you have been "downgraded" then they might let you in
Which is actually the case, funnily enough. Damn plane got changed from a 744 to 773. And the seat assignment went from 1A to 12E!! That's how I noticed something was up.

Indeed, maybe this thread needs to go somewhere visible because I did try finding info on it before I made a new thread. But my search came up empty handed for the specific question I was asking. But it's great to have confirmation that a transit does qualify for F lounge access.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:30 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've added a link to this thread in the Lounge Access FAQs under I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...unge-faqs.html

Maybe time to have this in a sticky somewhere as this is a topic that crops up time and time again, surely the powers that be on here would have noticed this by now.
A reminder that the wiki posts in the FAQ threads (and any other thread) are editable by most people with more than 90 posts so if members feel there is a good update that can be made, feel free to do this.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by marcuslai

This is over and above the oneworld rules that I posted above which specifically states same day or flight before 6am the following day.
The Cathay lounge access rules does not state anything above this:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...tance.HKG.html

So I wouldn't assume this is correct. That's not to say they won't allow access, but they do not have to.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Hold on to your incoming F BP and show it at the lounge saying your came in on transit from JFK and they will let you in as long as your departing flight is within 24 hours of arrival time of the incoming flight (Scheduled, not actual)...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I've added a link to this thread in the Lounge Access FAQs under I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...unge-faqs.html

A reminder that the wiki posts in the FAQ threads (and any other thread) are editable by most people with more than 90 posts so if members feel there is a good update that can be made, feel free to do this.
Just wanted to make sure I'm interpreting the FAQ correctly.

If I'm coming off a CX F flight but connecting to a QR J flight, I will NOT have access to the CX F departure lounges? It would have to be CX F to CX/KA J to have access?

Thx!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.