Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I've heard TBIT at LAX is now open to anyone with a same day departure out of LAX.

I'll be flying HKG-LAX-SEA. CX F from HKG to LAX then AS to SEA. Anyone know if it is possible for me to access the OneWorld lounge or possibly Qantas F Lounge in TBIT as an "arrival lounge" during my layover?
Are you in F LAX-SEA? I believe AS grants lounge access to F passengers (excluding upgrades):

Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class Award ticket (e.g. A, D, F or P class of service) on flights operated by Alaska Airlines have access to the Alaska Airlines Board Room only on their day of flight.
source

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I suppose you are departing from T6. I wasn't aware there is a way to get to TBIT departure from T6. Do you have Board Room membership?
To access TBIT from T6, one must clear security at TBIT like normal. There is a T4-TBIT post-security connector currently under construction; not certain when that's scheduled to be done. Once it's complete, since T4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are connected airside, TBIT will be accessible from all of those terminals.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
MPC Lounge access with point redemption

Hi guys,

Haven't seen an answer to this so far (sorry if it has been already asked).

I've redeemed a lounge access pass for 9000 AM points as a Green MPC. I'm travelling in J from Syd-Mxp via Hkg, but with a mate in Y with no status, so with this pass he should be able to get in.

I can obviously do a bit of a lounge hop if I like with my J ticket, but can he join me? Does anyone know if you are stuck in the one lounge with a lounge redemption or can you go to different CX lounges?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mitellic
Hi guys,

I've redeemed a lounge access pass for 9000 AM points as a Green MPC. I'm travelling in J from Syd-Mxp via Hkg, but with a mate in Y with no status, so with this pass he should be able to get in.

I can obviously do a bit of a lounge hop if I like with my J ticket, but can he join me? Does anyone know if you are stuck in the one lounge with a lounge redemption or can you go to different CX lounges?

Thanks!
For 9000 AM points I think you should be entitled to switch lounges at any time you want. You straight up paid for lounge access as you wait for your flight, so you should be able to use any lounge at any time. They'll likely put a reentry stamp on your friend's BP each time he switches lounges.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Just make sure you ask for the re-entry stamp and you should have no issues at the other lounges.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
For 9000 AM points I think you should be entitled to switch lounges at any time you want. You straight up paid for lounge access as you wait for your flight, so you should be able to use any lounge at any time. They'll likely put a reentry stamp on your friend's BP each time he switches lounges.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just make sure you ask for the re-entry stamp and you should have no issues at the other lounges.

That's a relief! Thanks again
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Kinda random questions but hopefully someone can answer! I'm oneworld Sapphire travelling in economy.

Are the showers in a particular lounge better than others?

Do they provide disposable shaving kits in any of the lounge showers?

Last edited by Schwann; Oct 14, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Kinda random questions but hopefully someone can answer! I'm oneworld Sapphire travelling in economy.

Are the showers in a particular lounge better than others?

Do they provide disposable shaving kits in any of the lounge showers?
I have only been in to the Wing showers, these are good, with plenty of them so no waiting. All lounges should have showers with disposable shavers, toothbrushes, etc.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I have only been in to the Wing showers, these are good, with plenty of them so no waiting. All lounges should have showers with disposable shavers, toothbrushes, etc.
The Cabin dun have showers (but I actually prefer it to the other lounges for the salad bar!)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:38 pm

Total CX newbie here, and generally fly coach on other airlines, so please forgive if any of this is totally misguided...

I'm in Washington DC, and planning to visit friends in Bangkok next year. I'll be travelling with my wife and 2 kids (ages 8 and 4). I have a boatload of AA miles, and have read that a great use of them is F/J on CX. I'd plan on CX from JFK to HK and then on to Bangkok. However, from what I've read, it seems like J/F travel isn't really conducive to flying with kids. They're well behaved, so that's not really the worry, but they're used to being right next to us. My wife doesn't sleep well on planes generally, and especially in coach with the kids bugging her. So, I'm thinking it would be nice to book her in F for a special treat, and she can have the nice meal and the PJs and all that and hopefully get a good night's sleep and be in a good state when we get to Asia. I can deal with the kids in coach, especially since they'll be zonked out if we take the 1am flight out of JFK.

My question is twofold -- 1., does that generally make sense, i.e., is it true that F or even J won't be great with young kids?

And, 2. Lounge access? With mom in F, would the 4 of us be able to use the lounge in JFK and then in HK?

Any other thoughts or input would be appreciated. I have enough miles for all of us in F, but just wouldn't want to feel like i'd wasted them. (You can save the suggestions of wife and me in F and kids in coach -- I've had that fantasy already!)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:22 pm

In answer to your first question, both F and J on CX long-haul are separate "suites", self-contained sitting and sleeping compartments, so it's not like seating two or three abreast where the kids could talk with or lean over and touch Mom or Dad when they wanted to. They'd be separated, and unless they can cope with that for a long flight (we're talking about 17 hours here), it's likely they'd be jumping up and standing in the aisle pestering their parents (and possibly disrupting other pax and the flight attendants) if they were in F or J. So, your plan to put them in coach and stay with them sounds like a good one.

Also, treating their mother to a bit of comfort and quiet in F for the flight should be a nice gift to her as well.

The F seat is spacious enough to entertain guests (who can sit on the ottoman footrest while visiting) so the children could possibly visit her from time to time. Again, consideration for other passengers and the crew should be exercised.

You can see pictures and descriptions of the F and J seats at this link.

A description, with pictures, of the First Class suite is here. Business class seating for long-haul is here, and you can see that these seats are also self-contained.

Just a reminder that this is a long flight. While the flight attendants are experienced with things to keep children occupied, you may want to plan yourself as well.

Last edited by Counsellor; Oct 18, 2015 at 2:45 pm Reason: Edited to add links
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor

The F seat is spacious enough to entertain guests (who can sit on the ottoman footrest while visiting) so the children could possibly visit her from time to time. Again, consideration for other passengers and the crew should be exercised.
While this is slightly OT, passengers visiting F class will almost certainly be refused on CX. The visitor seat is for other F pax to perhaps join each other for a meal, not for cross-class visits.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:57 pm

You're right, of course, that the ottoman is intended for folks in the same class of service, but it is possible that the Flight Attendants would be flexible under these circumstances.

It would be appropriate to request permission before attempting the visit, and if it is granted, that consideration should not be abused.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right, of course, that the ottoman is intended for folks in the same class of service, but it is possible that the Flight Attendants would be flexible under these circumstances.

It would be appropriate to request permission before attempting the visit, and if it is granted, that consideration should not be abused.
I'm not sure of your direct experience in achieving this... but I have never seen it happen. I've seen many refusals, never a permission to join.

One flight an expat Hong Kong couple (westerners) were in F with their baby and nanny in Y. The nanny was refused permission to bring the baby to F because she would have to walk through the J cabin. The mother was told she'd need to go back to Y to visit the baby.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

In theory, anything is possible. In reality, out of more CX F flights than I can count, almost nil chance. No point in getting someone's hopes up based on a virtually impossible scenario.

I've posted about it elsewhere, I have seen a few limited situations where folks from the back were allowed to visit. They are: children for deplaning sequence only (multiple times seen, seat must be available), nannies for some HK celebrities on a Japan flight (seen once), most egregious was a male mid-aged friend of the person in front of me allowed to come play cards for an hour (seen once), LH flight but there were only 2 of us in F. But I have seen requests such as this one rejected almost every time especially when they include children, which usually means noise. Just going off my personal anecdotes. I see requests fairly often, and except in the few exceptions above I see them rejected every time.

Odds are definitely higher at success in a nearly-empty F cabin, but I wouldn't get hopes up at all. Nor be surprised if other F passengers. complain.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:38 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Since the flight is originating from JFK, you're only allowed to stay in the cabin in which you're ticketed in. These are not CX rules, but are FAA rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.