Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Any news about a potential extension for GGLs with a year end after March 2022? TO be fair, they should treat all GGLs in the same way.
so for "fairness" when is the right time to stop extending GGL?

AFAIK March 2022 got an extension to March 2023, I think GGL for 2022 have all got an extension to their respective months in 2023
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
My wife’s Gold year end is 8th October and she currently has 360 TPs. She (we actually) has had her last three bookings cancelled by BA. My gut feeling is that BA will probably extend the members with year ends this year anyway but if they don’t do that, can she ask them to take her cancelled flights into consideration?

My year end is March and I’m also really struggling. I was hoping to get the reduced threshold by the end of this year but that’s looking highly unlikely given my last three flights have all been cancelled.
No harm asking, but i would expect a no

with some creative routing I have found it easy to get the 450TP, one return in business on QR to JNB gets more over 500tp, now for the 4 BA flights...
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
so for "fairness" when is the right time to stop extending GGL
When every GGL has had 2x 1-year extensions.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:18 am

and while that sounds fair, particularly to those who have been struggling to fly, there are others that will say that is not fair on those that have been flying for several months already and still have 6 more months of this year amassing points and retaining ggl without the extension.

Both views are reasonable
DiamondMile and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:10 pm

I thought every GGL has had 2 x 1 year extensions - along with every other tier - June 2020 to June 2022. Some GGLs have had 3 x 1 year extensions (Jul to Dec resets)

My use of the word "extension" does not include those who got the required tier points anyway, but that's a separate point.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
so for "fairness" when is the right time to stop extending GGL?
As soon as it helps 81romeo
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I would agree with 81romeo that the situation is pretty unfair that some GGL's got 12 months of extension and some got 24 or 36 because they all have different year ends.

* However, we all know that, there is 233 days of time for BA to change their decision as at the moment, the first GGL that would drop status would be dropped on February 28, 2023.
At this stage this might not be BA's top priority since they are dealing with more major issues and we still don't know if the NW22 season would be as it's predicted. Personally, I see no positive improvement over operational issues at BA's hubs but that's a total different story but it's BA's job to fix this.

* I definitely look at this point at an objective view but BA was quite fair with the extensions apart from the June 2020 update where they were too late to do something. Apart that, like experiences at previous pages, there would be some angry people including those who would threaten to switch to another airline which we now see that are flying BA back again ( from those members' respective posts ) so BA doesn't care about empty threats made far in advance. Despite, that I haven't seen a member who claimed that he was going to switch their entire business to VS, or *A partners like they mentioned earlier in the thread because BA didn't extend status 250-300 days before expiry so I think my point is pretty valid here. [ This part is not poster specific ]

* BA still didn't recover their entire business travel and corporate contracts. Despite COVID-19 is not severe like 2020 and 2021, many international big companies, still have their corporate travel bans in place or they have entirely changed their travel policy to focus on meetings via the internet ( Zoom, WebEx, Teams, etc... ) where the employees travel have significantly decreased. There are many people who flew 25-40 long-haul Club round-trips per year due to business on their employers pocket and now could only fly single digits only on conferences, when legal paperwork needs to be signed, etc... BA is likely to give companies with corporate contracts and their employees another chance by extending January - June 2023 year ends another year. Some might disagree with this, but most GGL holders earn it from business related travel but not because of their leisure and business travelers have a very significant importance for BA.

* Just in case the points above are not valid and BA decided not to extend status one more time for GGL's which I see as a very low probability; most of the GGL members are London based and we know that BA has a monopoly out of London. Some GGL's would drop to Silver, and GfL's would drop to Gold and I don't see someone starting from scratch at another airline or relying on Virgin / TAP / Turkish / ITA + status matching and connecting all the time, especially if that person values time. Yes there might be exceptions such as someone who mainly travels to New York could switch to Virgin but BA knows that when the same person has a trip in Geneva, they would need to use BA.

As per previous years, I also don't think that BA would think that it would be unfair for those who met the thresholds, since in 2020 and 2021 they have not gave any privilege for those making the thresholds.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Same for me. I guess it changes after the card expiry date passes.
Seems to have updated overnight. Now showing 31st August 2023.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
It’s been said so many times over the last two years that with members having different year ends there will be winners and losers in any extension process, and we will all individually assess the treatment of our own position as being fair or unfair, largely based on what others have got.

BA however are assessing the bigger picture. They have set lower re-qualification targets and there are people who are flying and re-qualifying at those levels. Planes are full, albeit on a reduced schedule, and premium prices are being paid. Yes there are cancellations of flights but there are way more flights taking off than being cancelled. Let’s not forget that some people’s travel pattern will not return to pre-pandemic levels and they won’t re-qualify anyway, because they may be choosing not to fly or their employer has reduced the company travel budget and meetings for some companies will take place virtually indefinitely.

It’s always emotive when we stand to lose something, but I’m approaching future status on the basis that I’m very grateful for extensions and reduced targets granted over the last couple of years, but accepting that’s it’s now up to me to earn my status going forward.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:26 am

Bronze / silvers now need fo reach the reduced threshold to requalify.
Golds in q4
And ggl as we move into 2023 will need to meet the thresholds.

I agree business travel has not yet recovered. I think it will take some time it they recovers. Travel budgets were slashed and cfos will not want to see 1000% increases in travel spend. It will recover, but over a period of time. Ba could give extensions for years, but I do not believe they will.

Additionally we are on the brink of a ww recession, i see business costs needing to be kept 'under control', leading to further control of travel

if they push through an extension for q1 (and q2??) renewals then in a few months we will be having the exact same conversation about the next group.

What i see through 2023 is a significant reduction in peoples status levels as renewal dates pass.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jul 10, 2022 at 2:34 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Seems to have updated overnight. Now showing 31st August 2023.
Mine updated overnight too.
SonicStar817 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Bronze / silvers now need fo reach the reduced threshold to requalify.
Golds in q4
And ggl as we move into 2023 will need to meet the thresholds.

I agree business travel has not yet recovered. I think it will take some time it they recovers. Travel budgets were slashed and cfos will not want to see 1000% increases in travel spend. It will recover, but over a period of time. Ba could give extensions for years, but I do not believe they will.

Additionally we are on the brink of a ww recession, i see business costs needing to be kept 'under control', leading to further control of travel

if they push through an extension for q1 (and q2??) renewals then in a few months we will be having the exact same conversation about the next group.

What i see through 2023 is a significant reduction in peoples status levels as renewal dates pass.
I agree with the above. I do think 2022 Q4 memberships will be extended though, just a feeling given the ongoing cancellations.

@ISTFlyer.. also largely agree (and always appreciate reading your thoughtful posts). The only thing I would point out is that London based GGLs with GfL dropping to Gold next year doesn’t necessarily mean we are a captive for BA because we would be able to choose who to fly to the US with depending on value rather than loyalty. Whereas if trying to maintain GGL status there is a tendency to opt for “loyalty” over value (within reason of course).
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:16 am

A well thought out post ISTFlyer.

So when might we expect to hear regarding Q4? The Q3 extensions for Gold (plus 50% reduction for Silver) were announced late April, so if things follow the same pattern, then it would be in a few weeks time.

I wouldn't rule out the 25% threshold reduction being extended either, especially in light of the summer cancellations. That might be the "bone" we get thrown instead of blanket extensions.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by golfmad
as soon as it helps 81romeo :d
🤣🤣😂
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I managed to book enough travel (with double holiday TPs) to maintain GGL status for next year at the reduced thresholds before the extension announcement - at least I’ll get a GUF2 out of it with a quick TP run

The extension / reduced thresholds were appreciated (the jokers in particular!) but agree with a lot of posters that they have to end at some stage. For Nov’22 to Nov’23 travel it seems reasonable to revert to normal thresholds - otherwise we’ll see complaints about overcrowded lounges etc., or BA will need to “enhance” some of those GGL benefits away.

Do I hope that they extend the 25% reduction for another year, of course - but I’m not planning around it so expecting much more of a burn than earn year in 2023

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.