Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by champignon
Here's a way more likely explanation that is consistent with all facts in evidence at this time. BA's current behavior is consistent with a multiheaded snake, an amoeba, Brownian Motion, Entropy, or any other similar analogy you can come up with. Their actions on everything from meal service on long haul flights, constant flight cancelations, rebooking, then canceling of the rebooked flight, treatment of upper level frequent flyers, you have it, everything you are observing is nearly entirely random. Assuming that there is some higher purpose, that someone is steering this rudderless ship, is an exercise in fantasy.

Mr. Cruz is starting look better by the day.

The people in charge now are making decisions on the fly. They don't know what they are doing, they are overwhelmed by circumstances and they are flailing in the wind.

Any other hypothesis would require evidence that one is dealing with sentient beings, and I'm having trouble coming up with any evidence of that.
I actually think you’ve cracked it!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:40 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
A question on my Silver card status. My year for tier point collection would usually finish on 8th September 2022 and I read that my requirement for renewal is halved to 300 TPs - this is clear.

But am sure I read that the time to reach the halved 300 points was also extended to 31st December 2022 but I can't find out if this is true (unfortunately have deleted the BA e-mail on this). My details in the BA App still says the TP collection year end on 8th September so I assume I'm imagining this 31st December TP collection date?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The thresholds are reduced until the end of the year (see the link in the wiki to the April 2022 update) but your collection year periods remain the same.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
With all the problems this year they should just extend everyone again! I can't be bothered and will go for Gold again when everything calms down.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As with all things, there was always going to be an element of "Why Them and Not Me2" That will always be. At some point the extensions had to stop and it was bound to put some noses out of joint. These things always do and it is a pity. It is also complicated when one member of the household has the 31st Dec clearance and the other does not. I run HI#s account as he has not the slightest interest although he is perfectly happy to enjoy the Flounge.

I think that given the summer from hell with all these cancellations BA should promise in the even that you - for no fault of your own - cannot take flight that you should be given your Tier Points when BA have cancelled the flight themselves. I think that this would sweeten the pill for many. I have read here and elsewhere the justifiable protests of "How can we qualify when you keep cancelling". That needs to be addressed PDQ.

I also think that a few more words from the present incumbent at the top of the totem pole would not go amiss. There seems to be Radio Silence from Watercress Towers. This is typical of anything run by the Spanish who seem to feel that nothing requires justification - and whilst this is a very sweeping generalisation, I lived there long enough to learn that the heads of enterprises considered themselves answerable to nobody.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As with all things, there was always going to be an element of "Why Them and Not Me2" That will always be. At some point the extensions had to stop and it was bound to put some noses out of joint. These things always do and it is a pity. It is also complicated when one member of the household has the 31st Dec clearance and the other does not. I run HI#s account as he has not the slightest interest although he is perfectly happy to enjoy the Flounge.

I think that given the summer from hell with all these cancellations BA should promise in the even that you - for no fault of your own - cannot take flight that you should be given your Tier Points when BA have cancelled the flight themselves. I think that this would sweeten the pill for many. I have read here and elsewhere the justifiable protests of "How can we qualify when you keep cancelling". That needs to be addressed PDQ.

I also think that a few more words from the present incumbent at the top of the totem pole would not go amiss. There seems to be Radio Silence from Watercress Towers. This is typical of anything run by the Spanish who seem to feel that nothing requires justification - and whilst this is a very sweeping generalisation, I lived there long enough to learn that the heads of enterprises considered themselves answerable to nobody.
As a September Silver, I'm not too miffed - I have my 300TPs already and just need to fly 2 more sectors and I'm done. The bigger challenge is actually finding a cheap B2B that is actually not going to be cancelled!

Plus I can then get a further year if I manage 450TPs by year end, which if I time a BA holiday right, should be fairly easy as well.

But the bigger picture here is that, whilst it all seems straightforward enough, do I really have enough interest and confidence in BAs future, and what they offer me, to actually be bothered? And (given recent stealthy devaluation and lack of reward availability) would my half million Avios be better used as Ł4000 in Sainsbury?

A year ago, I wouldn't even be having these thoughts, but after my efficient and painless U2 flight from LTN recently (an airport and airline that I never gave much regard to), it does make me think there's a bigger world out there and it's time to cut the cord.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
With all the problems this year they should just extend everyone again! I can't be bothered and will go for Gold again when everything calms down.
….or even just through to the year end. Always thought it was unfair GGL’s are extended if their renewal falls before the year end where as Golds are extended with renewals through to October.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Agree that Original Routing Credit for TPs at least should apply for cancelled flights in these cases where someone would lose status otherwise but BA have stop sometime as well as detect people trying to game the system. More manual processing means it won't happen I think.
PUCCI GALORE, LPQ, zen100 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
AS OF 11 July 2022:

BRITISH AIRWAYS PROTECTS TIER STATUS FOR ITS LOYAL EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
  • Gold Guest List with renewal dates July-December 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Gold members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Silver and bronze do not get any further renewal
  • However, Silver members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will given a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed (From 600 to 300 TPs)
  • Everyone else still gets the 25% reduction in tier points until 31 December. This also applies if you want to qualify for a higher status level.

So I'm confused (not for the first time so familiar territory) and hope the group can clarify:

I have been Silver for many years. My TP year is a JULY 8th anniversary. I was Silver until mid-June of 2022 when I crossed the (reduced) 1125 TP threshold and was moved up to Gold (showed up on or about June 20th). As expected, my TPs reset to zero on July 9th. My account online and on the app reads I am Gold through August 31, 2023.

For purposes of the extensions mentioned and underlined above, am I to be extended again to Aug of 2024? Or do the extensions not apply if you have moved up a level?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I am Silver and my Tier year ends October 8th. I have no travel upcoming however I have a trip to LAS that starts October 7th > 15th that would push me across the requalification threshold (based on the current tier point reqs).

Honest opinion- is it worth contacting BA and asking for a extension on my tier year (if that’s possible) or do I cut my losses and be lowered to Bronze?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Jambon87
I am Silver and my Tier year ends October 8th. I have no travel upcoming however I have a trip to LAS that starts October 7th > 15th that would push me across the requalification threshold (based on the current tier point reqs).

Honest opinion- is it worth contacting BA and asking for a extension on my tier year (if that’s possible) or do I cut my losses and be lowered to Bronze?
would these points push you above the 450 or the 600. If the 450 then, based on feedback from others on the forum then no extensions if you miss the 450TP.

if the 600 its worth a shot but if you phone before they will tell you go phone back after the flights have been flown
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
would these points push you above the 450 or the 600. If the 450 then, based on feedback from others on the forum then no extensions if you miss the 450TP.

if the 600 its worth a shot but if you phone before they will tell you go phone back after the flights have been flown
Its the former, I had always known it would come to an end eventualy, as my travel has vastly reduced post pandemic, had hoped to scrape another year out it but it’s not to be.

Fortunately my next upcoming trip is in J so it’s not going to be missed in any event.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
AS OF 11 July 2022:

• Gold Guest List with renewal dates July-December 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Gold members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Silver and bronze do not get any further renewal
  • However, Silver members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will given a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed (From 600 to 300 TPs)
  • Everyone else still gets the 25% reduction in tier points until 31 December. This also applies if you want to qualify for a higher status level.

So I'm confused (not for the first time so familiar territory) and hope the group can clarify:

I have been Silver for many years. My TP year is a JULY 8th anniversary. I was Silver until mid-June of 2022 when I crossed the (reduced) 1125 TP threshold and was moved up to Gold (showed up on or about June 20th). As expected, my TPs reset to zero on July 9th. My account online and on the app reads I am Gold through August 31, 2023.

For purposes of the extensions mentioned and underlined above, am I to be extended again to Aug of 2024? Or do the extensions not apply if you have moved up a level?
The complimentary extension would have no impact on you I'm afraid.

If you had been Gold for the membership year ending 8 Jul 2022, where you didn't earn sufficient TP to renew Gold, then your status would be given complimentary extension to 31 Aug 2023.

But as you had managed to upgrade from Silver to Gold by 8 Jul 2022 through organic flying, you'd be given Gold for the "remainder of the current year + one full year" (meaning Gold until 31 Aug 2022 + one year extension until 31 Aug 2023). Effectively, no difference versus if you had been given the complimentary extension.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
AS OF 11 July 2022:

Seeking some clarification here: May year end here - do I need 3,000 TP by May 2023 regardless or 2,250 by December?
GGL line just told me that the 75% TPs reduction only applies if your year end is by Dec 2022.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
It's 2250 by Dec 31, normal after that, irrespective of membership year end
geo1005 and 81romeo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.