Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:49 am

Just to clarify, it is still the case that Gold receive their extension with renewals through to Sept only where as GGL’s are through to the year end?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Is there any point in trying to requalify by my new tier collection year end date of Sept 2022 when my card expiry is Oct 2023?

I just need 4x BA segments and not sure if there is any benefit…
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Is there any point in trying to requalify by my new tier collection year end date of Sept 2022 when my card expiry is Oct 2023?

I just need 4x BA segments and not sure if there is any benefit…
if you have already been extended then there isn't really - unless you are aiming to collect TPs for lifetime status. you don't need the TPs or qualifying flights for your year ending 8 September 2022.
Bobdh13 and Great_circle like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Even though my tier collection year end date is Dec 2022, I also wonder whether it makes sense to requalify for Silver.

I believe that if I requalify during the last 20 days of Dec 2022 and before 31-Dec, then I will be Silver almost 2 full years: Silver until 31-Jan-2024, then have the rest of 2024 to requalify for Silver that would end 31-Jan-2025. Is that correct?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Even though my tier collection year end date is Dec 2022, I also wonder whether it makes sense to requalify for Silver.

I believe that if I requalify during the last 20 days of Dec 2022 and before 31-Dec, then I will be Silver almost 2 full years: Silver until 31-Jan-2024, then have the rest of 2024 to requalify for Silver that would end 31-Jan-2025. Is that correct?
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but I think you'd want to requalify after this collection year toward the next year. Let me give you my case as an example.

My Tier point collection year ends Nov. 8, 2022. I have Silver status through Dec. 31, 2022.

So, my next collection year ends Nov. 8, 2023. If I requalify after Nov. 8, 2022 (late this year, early next year), the status takes effect for the remainder of 2023 collection year, and the following year (2024).

So it seems that requalifying shortly after your TP collection year ends for a given year gets status for most of the following 2 years.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by headinclouds

Originally Posted by brp
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but I think you'd want to requalify after this collection year toward the next year. Let me give you my case as an example.

My Tier point collection year ends Nov. 8, 2022. I have Silver status through Dec. 31, 2022.

So, my next collection year ends Nov. 8, 2023. If I requalify after Nov. 8, 2022 (late this year, early next year), the status takes effect for the remainder of 2023 collection year, and the following year (2024).

So it seems that requalifying shortly after your TP collection year ends for a given year gets status for most of the following 2 years.

Cheers.
I believe that is what headinclouds said he was planning to do. He said his collection ends in December, if so then he would have 20 (actually 23) to obtain the 450 TPs needed for silver (and he would still be silver as he collects those TPs as his status continues until 31JAN). Since he would be qualifying during the 2023 collection year, he would have silver until 31JAN25 (he would need to collect 600TPs before 8DEC24 for his status to be renewed).

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 25, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I believe that is what headinclouds said he was planning to do. He said his collection ends in December, if so then he would have 20 (actually 23) to obtain the 450 TPs needed for silver (and he would still be silver as he collects those TPs as his status continues until 31JAN). Since he would be qualifying during the 2023 collection year, he would have silver until 31JAN25 (he would need to collect 600TPs before 8DEC24 for his status to be renewed).
I get it now. Thanks. I had read it as the collection year ending on December 31. But I guess all collections end on the 8th of the relevant month.

While I could try to get the 450 TP by the end of this year (after my November collection year) I won’t be able to get the 4 segments, so I’m back to 600 TP at present.

Congrats to those who can make it work within this calendar year.

Cheers.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes, that's what I hope to do. Basically 2 years of Silver for 1 BA biz round trip from USA-Greece. That's 440 of 450 TPs.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: British Airways
Hi everyone - would love some advice.

I'm currently Gold, collection year ending October 8, 2022. Card valid until Nov. 30, 2022.

Are there Oct folks getting an extension into 2023?

With all the cancellations, delays and lost luggage, I am finding it so hard to fly with BA this summer, for both business and personal holidays. I still have 1K left to earn. It's a lot. So currently debating whether I go for a status match somewhere and start earning with another airline.

Any tips on how to easily earn this 1K? (I have a few upcoming US flights). Many thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by aada
Hi everyone - would love some advice.

I'm currently Gold, collection year ending October 8, 2022. Card valid until Nov. 30, 2022.

Are there Oct folks getting an extension into 2023?

With all the cancellations, delays and lost luggage, I am finding it so hard to fly with BA this summer, for both business and personal holidays. I still have 1K left to earn. It's a lot. So currently debating whether I go for a status match somewhere and start earning with another airline.

Any tips on how to easily earn this 1K? (I have a few upcoming US flights). Many thanks!
As it stands at the moment, No. That might change, but given some Bronze/Silver members are about to lose status this week on the 8th July (card valid until end of Aug), I think further extensions are unlikely.

So as it stands, October Golds will drop to Silver if you haven't achieved 1,125 tier points by 8th October.

Earning 1,000 tier points over the next 4 months will be very expensive, given fares are so silly right now.

If you are that far off the target, I would just soft-land to Silver and then regain Gold next year when prices and availability will make it easier. It will probably cost you less to get 1,500 tier points next year - than get 1,125 in the next 4 months with the current ridicoulous prices.

And if BA were to surprise everyone and announce an extension for Golds - then any bookings for next year will go towards retaining Gold.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by zen100
As it stands at the moment, No. That might change, but given some Bronze/Silver members are about to lose status this week on the 8th July (card valid until end of Aug), I think further extensions are unlikely.
Thanks for this. I have an 8th August renewal date (card valid until end of September). Seems to me my only option for renewal now will be to meet 300TP by 8 August. Currently on 125TP with 20TP "in the bank" due to an upcoming EDI-LON return: probably really need to try and fit in a LHR-Double Tier Point destination Business return before 8 August to hit 300, but any other economical options gratefully received...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Geebsie
Thanks for this. I have an 8th August renewal date (card valid until end of September). Seems to me my only option for renewal now will be to meet 300TP by 8 August. Currently on 125TP with 20TP "in the bank" due to an upcoming EDI-LON return: probably really need to try and fit in a LHR-Double Tier Point destination Business return before 8 August to hit 300, but any other economical options gratefully received...
you need 155tp
just fly a SH+ route that has 80tp each way
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...tier-points-2/
zen100 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
you need 155tp
just fly a SH+ route that has 80tp each way
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...tier-points-2/
+1...

A weekend city break to a SH+ destination will do the trick.

Much better than spending 5 days away on a "normal" short-haul with double tier points - you probably won't get the double TPs credited in time for 8th August anyway. While it should be backdated, expect a battle.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:00 am

So sadly - some members will lose their status from this week (*)

Bronzes that fail to get 240 will drop to Blue
Silvers that fail to get 300 will drop to Bronze

(*) The card/benefits remain until end of August, but the drop is baked-in, unless the person does a load of travelling in the next 7 weeks to regain it.

Where do we think things will go from here?

I think status extensions are almost certainly over now
Will the 25% reduction get extended.
Will Q4 Golds get an extension, like GGLs did
Will some tiers get a 50% reduction in Q4 (like Silvers got in Q3)
When do we close this thread

Crystal balls out, folks
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by zen100
Much better than spending 5 days away on a "normal" short-haul with double tier points.
It's certainly open to interpretation, but since Geebsie spoke of a double TP destination [emphasis mine] rather than holiday I took it that a SH+ 80TP trip (being double the "normal" 40) is what they originally meant.

But it not, would add another +1 for that approach over a double TP holiday.
jerry a. laska and zen100 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.