Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Hmm so we should have received the email at 03:21 this morning then.
Based on this deep analysis it is now confirmed no extension email will be forthcoming.

<insert moan about being unable to fly/use benefits>
Personally I think its a little early yet to say nothing will come, I always said on or around March 20th.

If we get to the end of the 22nd and nothing appears I would think it unlikely

owing to this quarterly cycle they have been using, then if BA has decided not to offer any further extensions than some email from BA saying so would be appreciated
zen100 and TTmex like this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 21, 2022 at 9:44 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Personally I think its a little early yet to say nothing will come, I alsways said on oraround March 20th.

If we get to the end of the 22nd and nothing appears I would think it unlikely
Exactly, unlike previous quarterly annoucements, the 21st is a Monday this time around. I wouldn't expect to receive that kind of e-mail on a Monday, given the lead times of actually setting up the system to send them.

If we haven't heard by the end of the week, then unlikely. If we haven't heard by the end of the month, then very unikely.

owing to this quarterly cycle they have been using, then if BA has decided not to offer any further extensions than some email from BA saying so would be appreciated
It would be useful for some to know, but I'm not convinced they will. The default position is that there is no extension, unless expliciitly communicated otherwise, so BA may just keep quiet, which then allows them to change their mind closer to the time.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I think the reason for this is that Volare only launched on 1st March but they gave out cards before this, which didn't work.

That said, if you go the SkyTeam website and do the 'what SkyTeam level is my frequent flyer card', you get Alitalia in the dropdown but not ITA .....!

Re BA .... at some point someone has to bite the bullet. The travellers of 2019 would not (even without a pandemic) be the same heavy travellers of 2023. Arguably it makes more sense to pull Gold from everyone who has had it rolled and then give it back to anyone who manages 2 x premium long-haul flights this year. At least the cards will be in the hands of people who are actually flying.
Yes, the extensions had to end at some point - would be great to get one more and not think about it for a year. Soft landing to Silver will be fine and hopefully I can once again earn Gold next year.
For a lot of BA members outside London - it's not been that easy to actually fly BA. The entry restrictions have only recently been removed....
palmanfr likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
If BA don't extend, it would be nice to at least have some promotion similar to that of BA Holidays, and not just for customers starting trips in UK (like that promotion). I'm already at about 840 TPs, so reaching 1125 by Aug is not an issue for me, but certainly some kind of TP booster would be a good incentive, e.g. double TPs flight bookings until end of year.
palmanfr and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
You just need to look at how busy the lounges are now to realise that BA can’t keep on extending old members and adding new members for ever. Anyone who’s used TFW and Galleries First on a Saturday morning will tell you the experience isn’t very premium.

The new normal isn’t the same as the old, for some time to come BA will be chasing after premium leisure passengers as much as regular business travellers. Keep on extending people because they used to travel on business might not be the most sensible option.

The way I look at it if you’re not travelling status is worthless, if you are travelling you’ll keep your status or earn it back quickly anyway.
kyushuman and TTmex like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC
My guess is the lounges aren't packed because of too many extensions. It's more likely pent up demand and people splurging on business class flights. Hence the 12-row business class sections (and people trying to squeeze the nanny into the middle seat ). As you hint at, it's leisure travellers rather than business travellers. And that's why I think we're seeing meltdowns in T5 every weekend.

Obviously what we want to happen and what does happen may be two different things. Personally I can't decide if I think they will extend things. I'd like to see an extension of the reduced thresholds which would allow me to get to GGL, and maintain it at the standard 3000 TPs going forward. No idea if it will actually happen though.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I tend to agree with RichieMc, (some) people have a bit of money to burn and probably feel ok doing so as they've had 2yrs of no holidays, and BA's "spend XXX and get lounge access!" has both directly added people and probably for some of those it's a rare or one-off experience so they likely have longer dwell times than 'normal' business travellers.

Either way, we just have to wait and see. I'd still bet a beer on an extension for Q3 (Jul-Sept) year ends, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by RichieMc
My guess is the lounges aren't packed because of too many extensions. It's more likely pent up demand and people splurging on business class flights.
That would explain overcrowded GC, but GF is basically Goldies irrespective of cabin (excl F).
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
That would explain overcrowded GC, but GF is basically Goldies irrespective of cabin (excl F).

from https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...idays/holidays

Have a VIP airport experience, on us.

If you spend £2,500 per person or more and fly business class, you’ll be eligible for:

• Admission to the First Wing at Terminal 5, including complimentary access to the Galleries First Lounge
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
It's also BA Holidays bookings in CE/CW paying more then £2,500pp

Not sure how many people that amounts to in practice.
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:56 am

Probably relatively few in CE but many in CW...?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
If BA don't extend, it would be nice to at least have some promotion similar to that of BA Holidays, and not just for customers starting trips in UK (like that promotion). I'm already at about 840 TPs, so reaching 1125 by Aug is not an issue for me, but certainly some kind of TP booster would be a good incentive, e.g. double TPs flight bookings until end of year.
This would seem a very fair way of doing it - ensure people are flying a reasonable amount, but recognising that 25% or more of the year has gone before we even got to where we are now in terms of reopening (Aus and others took longer, and chunk of Asia still closed)

Originally Posted by woodey
You just need to look at how busy the lounges are now to realise that BA can’t keep on extending old members and adding new members for ever. Anyone who’s used TFW and Galleries First on a Saturday morning will tell you the experience isn’t very premium.

The new normal isn’t the same as the old, for some time to come BA will be chasing after premium leisure passengers as much as regular business travellers. Keep on extending people because they used to travel on business might not be the most sensible option.

The way I look at it if you’re not travelling status is worthless, if you are travelling you’ll keep your status or earn it back quickly anyway.
You could earn it back pretty quickly, but then have multiple flights with no status (e.g. 6.6 WTP flights to get to Silver); as I recently discovered flying with a non-OW airline recently, its damn rough travelling without status, the waits, the scrums, the lack of checked bags, the poor customer service.... No thank you. I think I would actively seek to cut down my flying if that was my experience every time! (clearly I've forgotten what its like, having taken only one other non OW flight in the past 7 years I think) #FirstWorldProblems

Originally Posted by drwook
I tend to agree with RichieMc, (some) people have a bit of money to burn and probably feel ok doing so as they've had 2yrs of no holidays, and BA's "spend XXX and get lounge access!" has both directly added people and probably for some of those it's a rare or one-off experience so they likely have longer dwell times than 'normal' business travellers.

Either way, we just have to wait and see. I'd still bet a beer on an extension for Q3 (Jul-Sept) year ends, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
I wouldn't bet my house on anything BA ever, and certainly not status - can you imagine loosing your house on a bet and then not being able to at least warm yourself up with a hot meal, a wee dram and a shower at LHR before a cheap RFS to MAN???? :-p
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:10 am

Below is a reply I got back from Exec Club earlier this month.....

"Thank you for
your email and I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment caused to the flexibility we have offered. This has been extended twice and could be extended further to include your year end date. Please check back with us over the next few weeks to see if we have offered any further flexibility. In the meantime, I will certainly pass your feedback through to the relevant team. We certainly value your loyalty and so once again I apologise for any frustration caused."
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by drwook

from https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...idays/holidays

Have a VIP airport experience, on us.

If you spend £2,500 per person or more and fly business class, you’ll be eligible for:

• Admission to the First Wing at Terminal 5, including complimentary access to the Galleries First Lounge
That promotion finishes at the end of March so I guess we’ll find out.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Currently sitting at 0TP. BA has cancelled most of the Asian flights until the fall (the least). Already lost a couple of GUF due BA not extending the ones expiring in early this year. Year end in Dec 23. Should BA do nothing in the near future I'll just move everything to CX/SQ (or LH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.