Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Is it 3750 TP to gain GGL status at present (or up to 31st Aug)?
Up to 31st Dec, then it goes back to the full target **

But you still have to get 3750 within your collection year - not 3750 between now and December (unless your reset happens just to be Jan)

** (I would expect this to be extended, but end Dec is where it is now)
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by xenole
Is it 3750 TP to gain GGL status at present (or up to 3 Aug)?

How much does business travel benefit from a shiny card anyway?
Is it a general thing to be to earn TP / Avios, seat selection, lounge access etc.? Do some companies treat anything earned as their property?
Do people book their own flights and get reimbursed by a company or client, or is most travel through an internal travel agent who might favour or be tied to a specific airline / alliance?
I'm hoping that's the case as that's what I'm aiming for with loads of double TP holidays this year and some work trips.

For me, the company I work for allows its staff to retain frequent flyer points, hotel rewards etc. Indeed there is a section for people to enter in all of their programme numbers into the internal booking system so they automatically get added to bookings. I save the company some money because the free lounge access means I don't claim for airport meals, the additional luggage allowance helps for longer business trips. The rules we have for travel mean that there is a preferred airline for a particular trip but I can book into oneworld if the flight cost is less - either as a result of the airfare being cheaper or because I voluntarily take a downgrade from the allowable travel class for a logical route (we are not forced to take a cheap multi-stop trip when there is a logical direct non-stop alternative). Quite often upgrades have been given to me which restored me to the higher class of travel to which I'm normally allowed.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Your argument works fine for those to whom status is important in itself. Can't earn TPs flying to HKG? Then earn status flying to LAX instead!

But for most status holders (outside FT), status isn't important in itself. Status is something that comes naturally from doing the flying that they would do in any event. Status makes that flying easier, and that is its importance to most status holders. For BA, status is one tool to encourage the status holder to choose BA/OW when doing the flying that they would do anyway.

If a status holder can't currently fly to the places that they would like, keeping status keeps that tool in place for the day when flying becomes possible again. If BA did not keep that tool in place, the status holder would not suddenly fly to all sorts of different places just to keep their status - that's FT behaviour, not real-world behaviour. The status holder would just let their status lapse, and BA would lose that tool for the day that the status holder starts flying again. Would the status holder still choose BA/OW? Maybe, maybe not. But extensions push the balance towards BA's favour, especially given that BA status is already familiar to the status holder.
Good point - and this is the calculation that BA needs to make.

There is always 'churn' in whom are the frequent travellers. People retire, change jobs, or the nature of the employment changes so that travel is no longer funded. And aside from maternity/paternity/adoption, there was never any official status hold due to a temporary lack of travel. You had to travel every year. Employer cutting back on travel for 1 year - tough - either do personal travel, or lose your status.

What is hard for BA to tell from their data - is how many of those that have not travelled due to Covid - will ultimately return to heavy levels of travel in the future. There will be a reasoable chunk for whom the reduction is permanent - some employers will never return to the pre-Covid levels of travel. And each annoucement of a status extension will cost BA revenue, as some customers that might have done personal travel to retain status, will defer it.

So it is a delicate balancing act they have to play.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Barry William Evans
Just called the Gold Line. 10 minute wait. Lovely lady said that their had been an error and she would send a message to back office team to change. 7/10 days it should happen. 21 days at most. Will keep
checking. Good luck to those in similar position. Will post when resolved.
same here. Received the email in December stating that status would be extended by first week of January.

nothing has happened do far.
tried to call a couple of times but gave up after 40 minutes.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by zen100
Up to 31st Dec, then it goes back to the full target **

But you still have to get 3750 within your collection year - not 3750 between now and December (unless your reset happens just to be Jan)

** (I would expect this to be extended, but end Dec is where it is now)
Yes I really hope you’re right. I’ll hit Gold in March. Collection year ends in April. With three US trips I have to make this year, I can jazz these up with a few SOF starts via HEL and I should get close to 3750 with other regular flying around Europe. No way I’d ever get to 5000 without seriously taking the piss. And then I think I should be able to renew at 3000 TPs going forward. I guess the reduced thresholds weren’t really designed for this purpose but I’ll use it to my advantage if I can!
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by zen100
Good point - and this is the calculation that BA needs to make.

There is always 'churn' in whom are the frequent travellers. People retire, change jobs, or the nature of the employment changes so that travel is no longer funded. And aside from maternity/paternity/adoption, there was never any official status hold due to a temporary lack of travel. You had to travel every year. Employer cutting back on travel for 1 year - tough - either do personal travel, or lose your status.

What is hard for BA to tell from their data - is how many of those that have not travelled due to Covid - will ultimately return to heavy levels of travel in the future. There will be a reasoable chunk for whom the reduction is permanent - some employers will never return to the pre-Covid levels of travel. And each annoucement of a status extension will cost BA revenue, as some customers that might have done personal travel to retain status, will defer it.

So it is a delicate balancing act they have to play.
I suspect that the proportion of people who think it's a great idea to do a couple of 1 day turnarounds at Honolulu from Sofia via Helskinki on their own money and time because business travel have dropped is very low outside of this echo chamber, so I imagine the revenue impact is pretty negligible!
TTmex likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drwook
I suspect that the proportion of people who think it's a great idea to do a couple of 1 day turnarounds at Honolulu from Sofia via Helskinki on their own money and time because business travel have dropped is very low outside of this echo chamber, so I imagine the revenue impact is pretty negligible!
There are also companies where business travel is unlikely to come back. Moreover, status only really matters if one is flying..if the company no longer flies you to meetings then need for status is reduced. If you don't fly enough leisure trips to make gold then how much will it eventually be missed. Not much.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Your argument works fine for those to whom status is important in itself. Can't earn TPs flying to HKG? Then earn status flying to LAX instead!
Yep. I only fly long-haul to Asia and can't do that right now. Unfortunately, I dropped to bronze right before Covid hit, so all I'm getting is automatic bronze renewals at the moment, but it's better than nothing.

I was going to get up to silver around March/April 2020 on a trip to Asia but it never happened. And I hadn't even got around to booking it (so couldn't do what some did, which was ring up and ask for status based on booked-but-cancelled flights).
Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Looked at the wiki today but it shows an old update.

My TP year ends March 8 so got a bit nervous about the lack of any announcement on status. Saw a post in the forum to login to my account as a 2023 year should be reflected as card validity status and it did. So I guess I will still be gold when I do my first flight in over 2 years in May.

Globalist
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Globalist
Looked at the wiki today but it shows an old update.

My TP year ends March 8 so got a bit nervous about the lack of any announcement on status. Saw a post in the forum to login to my account as a 2023 year should be reflected as card validity status and it did. So I guess I will still be gold when I do my first flight in over 2 years in May.

Globalist
the extension of jan, feb and march renewals 2022 tp collection end dates was announced on or around september 20th 2021

april may and june was dec 20th/21st 2021
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BusinessOnly
I am like SavvyTravel and Spike..

Tier Point Collection 8th May 2022, Card Expiry 30th June 2022. I did receive the e-mail in December 2021 saying it would be updated but it hasn't been so far..

I've not flown for 2 years and have already dropped from Gold to Silver (Just the way the various extensions / dates hit).. If i could at least keep Silver until June 2023 i have very good chance to get back to gold (even with full points requirement) the following year..

It would be super helpful if you could report back on how you get on Spike.. I'll then have to also chase myself!

Thanks
Nothing yet. Still waiting two weeks on.
Might try a third call this weekend.

As it stood I was due to get Silver between my year end and card expiry anyway but a change of plans with Australia opening up and a birthday party there to attend plus no decent OW options for my dates it would be nice to know I have Silver in the bag.

Spike

Spike
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If I correctly understand, then the fact that I am going to make my treshold for renewing Silver (600 TP of the 450 TP needed) doesn't matter because my renewal month is july. Is that correct?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
If I correctly understand, then the fact that I am going to make my treshold for renewing Silver (600 TP of the 450 TP needed) doesn't matter because my renewal month is july. Is that correct?
Not quite sure what you mean by "doesn't matter" in this context but as a July renewal, and presumably a Silver at the moment, you are not currently benefitting from any protection, only the lowered targets. Therefore, the following scenarios apply

If less than 450TP by end of July 8th: Your Silver status will expire on Aug 31st 2022, at which point you will drop to Bronze (even if you had earned 0TP)

If 450 or more, but less than 1125TP by end of July 8th: Your Silver status will be extended for another year, and will expire Aug 31st 2023

If 1125 or more TP by end of July 8th: You will upgrade to Gold and retain that status until Aug 31st 2023.

(There's also GGL but I guess that's out of reach so I discount it here)

Does that help?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
if you are going to make the threshold anyway then you get no benefit from the extensions, no matter when your renewal. You may benefit from the reduced tier point earning requirement to get to a higher tier than usual.

as of now no announcements for July renewals. If anything is announced it would be expected around march 20th/21st based on the last few announcement dates
geo1005 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Same here, I've called and complained but got a rather clueless response and no help.
Same here had letter in Dec 2021 stating tier point collection up to 30th June mine ends 8th June, and still nothing on my profile, so will keep watching this space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.