Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
The reduced thresholds are until Dec , currently.
Is that correct, because the wiki states 30th June? I'm thinking of pushing on for gold which, at 1,125, looks achievable for me.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Is that correct, because the wiki states 30th June? I'm thinking of pushing on for gold which, at 1,125, looks achievable for me.

Hi,

Orginally it was June but an email was sent out a little while ago which I think extended it to December ( wiki has probably not been updated)

Regards

TBS
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Hello everyone

I used to be here all the time, but have got a bit out of touch since flying has been somewhat erratic. Apologies for asking what has probably already been asked and discussed to death.

I'm an August baby, and reading the above posts I *think* I am right in saying that there is no tier point extension for me, only for those who have year ends until 30th June. Have I read that correctly?

I'm currently GGL, and based on current numbers I'll plunge to silver in August/September, so I just want to make sure I have understood correctly. My account shows 2022 expiry.

Many thanks

Jim

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Feb 21, 2022 at 6:00 am Reason: Liberal splattering of typos
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm an August baby, and reading the above posts I *think* I am right in saying that there is no tier point extension for me, only for those who have year ends until 30th June. Have I read that correctly?

I'm currently GGL, and based on current numbers I'll plunge to silver in August/September, so I just want to make sure I have understood correctly. My account shows 2022 expiry.
Correct, the last extensions given were for April, May and June people.

Nothing has been announced any further along than that, so you have understood correctly.
HighwayToHEL and BertieBadger like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:21 am

I am not particularly expecting BA to extend the 30 June end date for extensions any further as things are seemingly improving, but when you have a TP year end of 08 Jul, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth that it's all or nothing.

I'm not sure why they couldn't offer reduced time frame extensions of between 1-11 months for example, which would surely be pretty simple to arrange.

The policy seems very harsh and not at all appreciative of people's loyalty to give a full year until 30 June then nothing if your year end is a mere 8 days later!!

As someone who continued to fly all the way through the pandemic, albeit less than normal, whilst dealing with rubbish catering and closed lounges etc. their rigid policy really grinds on me.

​​​​​​I've been a fan of BA for many years but my patience and willingness to give them my cash is wearing very thin.

Thanks BA (not).

​​​​​
orbitmic and RockyRobin like this.

Last edited by northeastflyer; Feb 21, 2022 at 5:28 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
As much as I will disappointed to lose my GGL, if they don't extend then I probably understand. BA have been hit hard, and at some stage we have to return to normality. I achieve most of my points with travel to USA and to India. India opened up only last week, and whilst USA has been open for a while, we have a gradual "return to work" policy, and if I were to travel to the USA I'd visit an empty office. That's not BA's problem, I know.

I will never achieve the 5000TP to requalify, but 3000 was achievable, and whilst it's currently reduced (2250?) I'm currently sitting on just 40 TP and have until August to get the balance, which won't happen.

I really do hope BA give us one final extension, but I've mentally prepared myself for receiving that silver card in the post.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Hello everyone

I used to be here all the time, but have got a but out of touch since flying has been somewhat erratic. Apologies for asking what has probably already been asked and discussed to death.

Many thanks

Jim
Same boat and still crossing my fingers; business travel showing signs of resuming but it'll be a slow start until testing requirements disappear in US etc, and too late for many to get enough TPs to renew. Hopefully they'll extend one more time.

If not, see you in GC for a hard breakfast roll or a bowl of gruel
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I am not particularly expecting BA to extend the 30 June end date for extensions any further as things are seemingly improving, but when you have a TP year end of 08 Jul, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth that it's all or nothing.

I'm not sure why they couldn't offer reduced time frame extensions of between 1-11 months for example, which would surely be pretty simple to arrange.

The policy seems very harsh and not at all appreciative of people's loyalty to give a full year until 30 June then nothing if your year end is a mere 8 days later!!

As someone who continued to fly all the way through the pandemic, albeit less than normal, whilst dealing with rubbish catering and closed lounges etc. their rigid policy really grinds on me.

​​​​​​I've been a fan of BA for many years but my patience and willingness to give them my cash is wearing very thin.

Thanks BA (not).

​​​​​
People will keep making that argument again and again. If BA now offers another extension to those ending July to September, then the baton will be passed from July-August-September year end members to those from October to December who will say that it's unfair that the group before them got the extension and they didn't. This will keep going and going, with someone always feeling hard done by.

At some point these extensions will stop and if people are as loyal as they claim they are then hitting the required TPs will be possible and in many cases easy. If you're not able to hit the required number, start asking whether you even need status. The only point of it is when you're flying and if you now don't have a flying pattern that reaches gold or silver, you have to ask why BA need to keep comping you a higher level of status. If you start flying again later, then you can get back to gold through flying, but I feel it unreasonable for BA to keep perpetually extending in the meantime.

I personally believe maybe one or two rounds more of extensions will come for those with year ends in 2022, but no doubt those with Jan to March ends next year will complain bitterly that those in August to December benefitted from an extension and they didn't. You see where I'm going
zen100 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
As much as I will disappointed to lose my GGL, if they don't extend then I probably understand. BA have been hit hard, and at some stage we have to return to normality. I achieve most of my points with travel to USA and to India. India opened up only last week, and whilst USA has been open for a while, we have a gradual "return to work" policy, and if I were to travel to the USA I'd visit an empty office. That's not BA's problem, I know.

I will never achieve the 5000TP to requalify, but 3000 was achievable, and whilst it's currently reduced (2250?) I'm currently sitting on just 40 TP and have until August to get the balance, which won't happen.

I really do hope BA give us one final extension, but I've mentally prepared myself for receiving that silver card in the post.
This is what BA will be looking at behind the scenes. How many people are losing status even with the reduced thresholds, vs how many are retaining, vs how many are moving up. Once that appears to be balanced, I can't see the extensions going any further.

That being said, I do still think Jul-Sept will see an extension - purely based on the fact it's nearly March and whole continents are still closed.

I'll retain my GGL by next month (I'm also August), but that's because my travel is largely Middle East and US based. Someone who travels primarily to China and Australasia, for example, would have no chance.

So whilst it's all speculcation, I'd be surprised if Jul-Sept weren't extended. And quite honestly I could see Oct-Dec being rolled as well, eventually. But I think from Jan 23 a reduced threshold is the very best we can hope for based on now the world is now opening up.
zen100 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TTmex
I personally believe maybe one or two rounds more of extensions will come for those with year ends in 2022, but no doubt those with Jan to March ends next year will complain bitterly that those in August to December benefitted from an extension and they didn't. You see where I'm going
I still hope that BA is looking at an exit strategy.

One possibility as flying returns would be to offer an extension but not for the full 12 months and then look at the reduced TP requirement for a shorter collection year, for example extend the june july August people until end of april/may/june and then they only have to do 75% of what a apr/may/june renewal needs to do to retain status.

Later in the year you can then do 6 months and 50% then 3 months and 25 %. Everyone would end up with a renewal in April May or June
TTmex likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I still hope that BA is looking at an exit strategy.

One possibility as flying returns would be to offer an extension but not for the full 12 months and then look at the reduced TP requirement for a shorter collection year, for example extend the june july August people until end of april/may/june and then they only have to do 75% of what a apr/may/june renewal needs to do to retain status.

Later in the year you can then do 6 months and 50% then 3 months and 25 %. Everyone would end up with a renewal in April May or June
I can't imagine that BA would want everyone with a renewal in a single quarter. The size of BAEC would create a significant shift in tier changes at that period which would potentially affect lounge capacities.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
So if I understand correctly, my Tier point date is 7 Jul, I therefore need 600 TP to renew my silver? Not worried if that is the case: just booked a TATL plus a domestic, so my TP should be 740.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by JTXC
So if I understand correctly, my Tier point date is 7 Jul, I therefore need 600 TP to renew my silver?.
If you have a July year end the reduced targets are in effect for you, so you'll need 450 TP by July 8th in order to retain Silver.

Minor point - the 8th is included in your current year, so you have one more day than you expected
JTXC and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I can't imagine that BA would want everyone with a renewal in a single quarter. The size of BAEC would create a significant shift in tier changes at that period which would potentially affect lounge capacities.
Lufthansa manage to cope with all their members entitlement expiring on the same day never mind the same quarter
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
If you have a July year end the reduced targets are in effect for you, so you'll need 450 TP by July 8th in order to retain Silver.

Minor point - the 8th is included in your current year, so you have one more day than you expected
Isn't it reduced until 31 Dec as well - so JTXC can keep/requalify for silver by getting 450 between July and the end of the year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.