Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by champignon
But how about the period from August 3 through Dec. 31, 2022? My impression is that were I to accumulate 1125 TPs during the 4 months remaining to me after my new TP year begins, that this would also qualify for attaining Gold level for my year ending August 3, 2023, because the reduced level of TPs in effect for (now) all of 2022. Of course, most people will have difficulty accumulating the required number of TPs, at the reduced level, in a fraction of a year, but some might and they might also then fail to attain the higher (reinstated) level of the TPs by the end of their TP Year. This type of example illustrates the lack of clarity in the new rules, and has been similarly unclear in previous part year extensions of these policies.
I don't that's correct. I think that scenario was previously unclear, but seems much clearer now. Copying from the T&Cs

Members with a Tier Point collection end date between July 2022 and December 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to retain, or upgrade, their Tier status.

The above covers your current year - reduced tier points

Members with a Tier Point collection end date from January 2023 onwards can retain or upgrade their Tier status according to the normal thresholds. We are continually reviewing the situation and will consider further measures in due course.
The above covers your next year - ending August 2023 - normal tier points apply.

Note that BA don't just quote the month, but the month and year combined. So for any TP collection year that ends in 2023 - it's full tier points for their entire collection year.

The key difference this time around - is that all the months quoted specifically refers to being the TP collection end date. Previously when they were referring to June 2022, it was very ambiguous.

I agree that a 25% reduction isn't representative of the amount of travel many are able to make. So it might not make much sense, or seem 'fair'. But I do think the wording is (now) clear.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zen100
I don't that's correct. I think that scenario was previously unclear, but seems much clearer now. Copying from the T&Cs

The above covers your current year - reduced tier points

The above covers your next year - ending August 2023 - normal tier points apply.

Note that BA don't just quote the month, but the month and year combined. So for any TP collection year that ends in 2023 - it's full tier points for their entire collection year.

The key difference this time around - is that all the months quoted specifically refers to being the TP collection end date. Previously when they were referring to June 2022, it was very ambiguous.

I agree that a 25% reduction isn't representative of the amount of travel many are able to make. So it might not make much sense, or seem 'fair'. But I do think the wording is (now) clear.
I haven't read the FAQs closely or even paid much attention to the email that BA sent me earlier on in the week, so I defer to your interpretation of what they have said this time around.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I'm about to take a JFK-LHR AA-coded BA-operated W-class PE/WT+ flight

Then early next year, I (and spouse and child) will be flying LHR-CDG on BA in Y, followed by CDG-LHR-JFK in J (R/I class) and In April will fly JFK-LHR-TLV on AA and BA coded flights in discount J. Possibly a few extra segments in Y on a OneWorld airline to get back from TLV to JFK (such as TLV-AMM-JFK?).

Trying to figure out strategy for status and miles collection here...

My calculations seem to suggest these points accruing:

Dec
JFK-LHR W -- 90TP

Jan
LHR-CDG O -- 5TP
CDG-LHR R -- 40TP
LHR-JFK R -- 140TP

April
JFK-LHR I -- 140TP
LHR-TLV I -- 140TP
TLV-AMM O -- 5TP
AMM-JFK O -- 20TP

BA seems to be giving Silver with only 450 tier points but not sure if that includes extending the tier point collection year.

My and our child's tier point collection year ends Jan 8th which would not work for crediting all the flights within the same year.
My spouse's year ends in September so that should cover all the flights.

Am I misunderstanding this or would spouse get Silver but not I or our child?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by salut0
My calculations seem to suggest these points accruing:

Dec
JFK-LHR W -- 90TP

Jan
LHR-CDG O -- 5TP
CDG-LHR R -- 40TP
LHR-JFK R -- 140TP

April
JFK-LHR I -- 140TP
LHR-TLV I -- 140TP
TLV-AMM O -- 5TP
AMM-JFK O -- 20TP

BA seems to be giving Silver with only 450 tier points but not sure if that includes extending the tier point collection year.

My and our child's tier point collection year ends Jan 8th which would not work for crediting all the flights within the same year.
My spouse's year ends in September so that should cover all the flights.

Am I misunderstanding this or would spouse get Silver but not I or our child?
You are correct, you spouse will get Silver, but you and your child will have your Tier Points reset to zero on January 8, so you won't make it. Though, of course, you still have the rest of 2022 to make up the rest of them on yours and your child's accounts. As you'll be so close, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Nothing changes when it comes to TP collection periods when it comes to the extensions.
brp, salut0 and alex67500 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zen100

And I think that this is the key point here. BA are not referring to a calendar month/yeah, but a TP collection month/year. Basically, all TP collection years ending within calendar 2022 will benefit from the reduced levels. Any and all TP collection years ending in 2023 are normal levels (for now...I think it is likely that this will change again).

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by brp
And I think that this is the key point here. BA are not referring to a calendar month/yeah, but a TP collection month/year. Basically, all TP collection years ending within calendar 2022 will benefit from the reduced levels. Any and all TP collection years ending in 2023 are normal levels (for now...I think it is likely that this will change again).
I'm curious as to whether their IT can handle this though, having some people at a reduced rate and others at the full rate. I get the impression it's all or nothing, hence my theory that it will switch over for everyone on 1 January 2023, regardless of where you are in your TP collection year. I do agree with what you're saying though, so I think it could go either way. I'll be curious to see how it pans out.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'm curious as to whether their IT can handle this though, having some people at a reduced rate and others at the full rate. I get the impression it's all or nothing, hence my theory that it will switch over for everyone on 1 January 2023, regardless of where you are in your TP collection year. I do agree with what you're saying though, so I think it could go either way. I'll be curious to see how it pans out.
BA's IT department hasn't shown itself to be on the cutting edge of competency. One example in this context is that the BAEC club has repeatedly said that the reduced TP collection levels apply only to Bronze, Silver and Gold levels only, and not to Gold Guest List, however numerous people in this thread have posted screen shots showing their account webpages with reduced TPs required for Gold GL. What BA is actually doing is another question, e.g. whether meeting those reduced levels would actually result in getting the perks.

So long as the disheveled code underlying the BA and BAEC websites remains in control, one can't be 100% sure what will actually slip in through the cracks.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

So long as the disheveled code underlying the BA and BAEC websites remains in control, one can't be 100% sure what will actually slip in through the cracks.
Good point. I think we will try to get at least the 450 TP between the November 8, 2022 collection and date and DEc. 31, 2022...just in case

Cheers.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
you and you childs points will reset to 0 at the end of your current collection year

with a Jan 2023 renewal, based on the wording of the current FAQ, you would not benefit from reduced TP in your collection years starting jan 2022

your wife, by virtue of her different tier point collection dates, would attain silver on the same flights
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:03 pm

It has suddenly struck me where BA have gone wrong!

Instead of reduced TPs, BA should have been awarding increased TPs for flights - and then they could just keep moving the end date of when flights go back to earning standard TPs. That would have simplified the whole thing. Well, some of it, at least!

(Yes, I know, BA IT an all that!)

rb211.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RB211

Instead of reduced TPs, BA should have been awarding increased TPs for flights - and then they could just keep moving the end date of when flights go back to earning standard TPs. That would have simplified the whole thing. Well, some of it, at least!

rb211.
What they should have done is to put everyone on the same TP year, for example a calendar year. They could have taken the pandemic with its reduced travel, plus their recent (supposed) IT overhaul as a way to easily pro-rate people so that everyone was on the "same page," and this would eliminate any confusion coming out of the current system of rotating "TP years." The entire Tier Point system is something that would have appealed to Rube Goldberg:

Komodromou likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What they should have done is to put everyone on the same TP year, for example a calendar year. They could have taken the pandemic with its reduced travel, plus their recent (supposed) IT overhaul as a way to easily pro-rate people so that everyone was on the "same page," and this would eliminate any confusion coming out of the current system of rotating "TP years."
No, please no. The two of us having different year ends has worked really well for us, including during the pandemic. Given that we do much of our flying together, the current situation much reduces the chances that we both drop a tier at the same time from having the same year end.

Also, can you imagine the extra pressure on space and prices if everyone who had to make up a few extra TPs to renew their current status all had to do it in the same few weeks every year, instead of this being spread out over the whole of the year as it is at present?

So: no, please no.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:36 pm

I think would have been too much for BA and their IT systems. I was trying to keep the approach simple using as much of the current "infrastructure" as possible.

rb211.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RB211

rb211.
Load of things they could do, roll forward tier points from your current year into your next year rather than reduced TP is another
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:44 pm

What they should have done is to put everyone on the same TP year, for example a calendar year.
... but that would remove the need for hundreds of posts of speculation, hours of pontificating and opinions from FlyerTalk. What would we do with ourselves if BA made it easy?

(Not to mention having the website fall over once a year as it tried to process all the renewals at once!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.