Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by exeu2017
Is there anywhere in writing it says the GGL tiers have a reduced threshold?
My app and the website show reduced threshold to renew GGL.
Lefly and PGberkshire like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by brp
So, trying to make sense of this in my situation. I have a November 8 TP collection end date. Status gpes through Dec. 31, 2022. My usual approach is to take a flight after November 8 every other year and qualify for Silver for 2 years.

One interpretation (which I favour) is that, if I fly between Nov. 8 and Dec. 31, 2022, I need only 450 TP to retain Silyer through Dec. 31, 2024 since this counts for my 2023 TP collection year.

The other interpretation is that this is really considered part of my 2023 TP collection year, so back to 600.

From the disucssion, I take it that this is the point under debate and it is not clear which interpretaton holds?
The debate is whether:
- Everyone has only until 31 Dec 2022 to clock the lower TPs, failing which have to clock the normal TPs for the remainder of the membership year (this seems to be suggested by the BA communication)
- You have the full membership year until the next reset date that occurs after 31 Dec 2022 to clock the lower TPs, after which it reverts to the normal TPs for the next membership year (as explained by the FAQ)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
The debate is whether:
- Everyone has only until 31 Dec 2022 to clock the lower TPs, failing which have to clock the normal TPs for the remainder of the membership year (this seems to be suggested by the BA communication)
- You have the full membership year until the next reset date that occurs after 31 Dec 2022 to clock the lower TPs, after which it reverts to the normal TPs for the next membership year (as explained by the FAQ)
Of course, all of this confusion comes from the odd decision on BA's part to have "Tier Point Years" as opposed to using the "Calendar Year" with which most or all of us are accustomed. Alaska Airlines uses a calendar year for their loyalty plan miles accumulation, and I would bet that most other airline loyalty programs do as well.

If BA sought to avoid this, they could prorate requirements for new enrollees to the program so that after the first partial year everyone would be on the same page.

Come to think about it, we shouldn't be encouraging BA to do anything new with their pathetic computer systems, because they have recently demonstrated to us what happens when they try.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:20 pm

The debate is whether:
Not sure if they updated the wording, but the FAQ does seem very clear cut to me, especially the last point. They highlight that things could change, but the wording as to the current intent seems very clear.

This means that Members with a Tier Point collection end date up to June 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to upgrade their Tier status.

Members with a Tier Point collection end date between July 2022 and December 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to retain, or upgrade, their Tier status.

Snipped...

Members with a Tier Point collection end date from January 2023 onwards can retain or upgrade their Tier status according to the normal thresholds. We are continually reviewing the situation and will consider further measures in due course.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks zen100 . I had not looked at the FAQ, but that seems to address my question. Since I want to apply flights to qualification for the TP collection year that starts after Nov. 8, 2022 and ends Nov. 8, 2023, this would seem to say that I need the normal levels. with current rules...

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Thanks zen100 . I had not looked at the FAQ, but that seems to address my question. Since I want to apply flights to qualification for the TP collection year that starts after Nov. 8, 2022 and ends Nov. 8, 2023, this would seem to say that I need the normal levels. with current rules...
What made you deduce that? Shouldn't you still need the lower TPs, as your collection year resets before 31 Dec 2022?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
What made you deduce that? Shouldn't you still need the lower TPs, as your collection year resets before 31 Dec 2022?
From above, I'm looking at (emphases mine)
Members with a Tier Point collection end date from January 2023 onwards can retain or upgrade their Tier status according to the normal thresholds. We are continually reviewing the situation and will consider further measures in due course.
Since I am looking to apply this to the TP collection year that ends Nov. 8, 2023, the above would seem applicable.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
Not sure if they updated the wording, but the FAQ does seem very clear cut to me, especially the last point. They highlight that things could change, but the wording as to the current intent seems very clear.

"This means that Members with a Tier Point collection end date up to June 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to upgrade their Tier status."
Actually this statement is also unclear. It mentions upgrade only. What about status renewal - Bronze / Silver / Gold wanting to renew the same status for following year. Do they need the lower, or normal, TPs?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Has it occurred to anyone that all of this is intentionally vague?

BA is inscrutable and speaks with forked tongue.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by champignon
Has it occurred to anyone that all of this is intentionally vague?

BA is inscrutable and speaks with forked tongue.
I would replace "intentionally" with "incompetently", more like... LOL

In honesty, the FT community understand their FFP nuances, and implications, more than the BA folks themselves.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:47 pm

In honesty, the FT community understand their FFP nuances, and implications, more than the BA folks themselves.
Word! (Well, most of the BA folks!)

rb211.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:27 pm
Suspended

BAEC Members are like Rats in a Skinner Box

I would replace "intentionally" with "incompetently", more like... LOL

Here's the point of it all, why the BAEC and other such "loyalty schemes" exist.

Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:54 pm

I don't think it's vague at all - and I have been very critical of BA before when they were very vague with the whole June 2022 thing. Short of laying out a table with every reset for the next 2-3 years, I think it's worded about as clear as it can be
  • If you are a Feb reset, then in your current year from Feb 21 to Feb 22, the reduced tier points apply to moving up a tier (renewal is irrelevant as status has been extended). For the next year, Feb 22 to Feb 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a May reset, then in your current year from May 21 to May 22, the reduced tier points apply to moving up a tier (renewal is irrelevant as status has been extended). For the next year, May 22 to May 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a Aug reset, then in your current year from Aug 21 to Aug 22 - the reduced tier points apply to both renewals and moving up a tier. For the next year, Aug 22 to Aug 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a Nov reset, then in your current year from Nov 21 to Nov 22 - the reduced tier points apply to both renewals and moving up a tier. For the next year, Nov 22 to Nov 23, full tier points apply

I'm happy to be corrected if other data shows otherwise, but I don't see how one could realistically read the FAQ any other way.

Whether it ends up being like the above is another matter. But I think the wording is clear on the intent.

What will be interesting, is what the app will display in mid-Jan foe the January resets. It should display the full tier points. But I wouldn't be surprised if it still showed reduced tier points - at which point I will revert to criticising BA for being ambiguous again.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zen100
I don't think it's vague at all - and I have been very critical of BA before when they were very vague with the whole June 2022 thing. Short of laying out a table with every reset for the next 2-3 years, I think it's worded about as clear as it can be
  • If you are a Feb reset, then in your current year from Feb 21 to Feb 22, the reduced tier points apply to moving up a tier (renewal is irrelevant as status has been extended). For the next year, Feb 22 to Feb 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a May reset, then in your current year from May 21 to May 22, the reduced tier points apply to moving up a tier (renewal is irrelevant as status has been extended). For the next year, May 22 to May 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a Aug reset, then in your current year from Aug 21 to Aug 22 - the reduced tier points apply to both renewals and moving up a tier. For the next year, Aug 22 to Aug 23, full tier points apply
  • If you are a Nov reset, then in your current year from Nov 21 to Nov 22 - the reduced tier points apply to both renewals and moving up a tier. For the next year, Nov 22 to Nov 23, full tier points apply

I'm happy to be corrected if other data shows otherwise, but I don't see how one could realistically read the FAQ any other way.

Whether it ends up being like the above is another matter. But I think the wording is clear on the intent.

What will be interesting, is what the app will display in mid-Jan foe the January resets. It should display the full tier points. But I wouldn't be surprised if it still showed reduced tier points - at which point I will revert to criticising BA for being ambiguous again.
I think that your interpretation may be largely correct, however there is one aspect in which I think you are either incorrect or perhaps better, incomplete, in your assessment.

I will use myself as an example, since it's easier than trying to make something up. My TP year ends on August 3rd. Barring a cancelation of trips already booked and paid for, I should make it to the Gold level (with reduced TP requirements) by the end of April/early May. That much is clear.

But how about the period from August 3 through Dec. 31, 2022? My impression is that were I to accumulate 1125 TPs during the 4 months remaining to me after my new TP year begins, that this would also qualify for attaining Gold level for my year ending August 3, 2023, because the reduced level of TPs in effect for (now) all of 2022. Of course, most people will have difficulty accumulating the required number of TPs, at the reduced level, in a fraction of a year, but some might and they might also then fail to attain the higher (reinstated) level of the TPs by the end of their TP Year. This type of example illustrates the lack of clarity in the new rules, and has been similarly unclear in previous part year extensions of these policies.

Am I making sense here?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:06 pm

That, in essence, is the confusion.

On BA website:
"​​​​​​In addition, we previously reduced the amount of Tier Points needed to retain or reach each Tier by 25% until June 2022.
We have now extended this by another six months, so that the reduced thresholds are now applicable for all Members with a Tier Point collection end date until December 2022."

​​​​​​The first sentence seem to apply to all members' TP collection period.
The second sentence seem to apply to specific members' TP collection end date.

If first sentence is supposed to refer to TP collection end date (as well) since the second sentence merely is an "extension" to the first, then the interpretation by zen100 appears to reflect the intent - so after everyone's cycle resets throughout 2022, it will revert to full TPs.

Guess whether this truly happens, we shall know for sure in a few weeks, after the January 2022 resets are done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.