Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
My card expiry date still showing as 30th June 2022. I guess it's not technically the end of the week yet, but yeah... not expecting it to be updated.
That is strange for a May 2022 reset. Many of us, up to June 2022 resets, have had our cards extended to 2023 already.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
For Jan 2023 reset, it's practically reduced thresholds for the whole year - just the final 8 days of the year. But as the year progresses on, the full target will apply more and more.
Am I the only one who thinks this is illogical?
That may well be the case for Jan 2022 resets - you have almost the whole year of 2022, bar the last 8 days, to hit the reduced threshold.
But Dec 2022 resets have only a measly 24 days to do the same.
You can't just have membership year resets distributed across all months of the year, but decide to cut off TP thresholds on a somewhat arbitrary calendar date - it should rightfully be synced to the membership reset cycles.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ademanuele
My collection year end was yesterday and I was a little miffed when I opened the app this morning as the COVID-19 statement is not shown. It only appears on the web site so great news...
Originally Posted by zen100
My suspicion, is they needed time to be able to display different tier point targets in the app - and held back from clarifying until they knew for certain that IT could follow through on what the business guys wanted to implement, rather than continually changing things.

The app needs to be able to display the different thresholds from the start of the collection year, otherwise customers are given the wrong expectation.
I'd be miffed too if I opened the BA app and saw nothing but the target, as I'm not a regular ba.com user.

It's actually quite simple from coding perspective, heck even SQ (who's not particularly known for its IT prowess) can do it to show, on a rolling month basis, what the member's target is to hit Silver or Gold status, and how many miles are expiring when.

Quite simply adding a new "static" line of code would've made everything clear.

To renew Gold you need
1,125 TPs by 31 Dec 2022
or 1,500 TPs by 8 Jan 2023
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can't think of any interpretation under which reduced tier points till 12/22 would mean you could not benefit from it if you met the reduced target by 12/22 (indeed, many others in this very thread assumed that it would necessarily mean that you could benefit from the reduced target as long as your membership year started by 12/22).
I spent many, many emails banging this point out with BA because I also could not believe it. However, it was made VERY clear to me that it only applied to your TP year which ended in 2022. So, for anyone with an 8th January 2022 year end, they would need the FULL TP for the coming year irrespective of when they requalified.

Here is a verbatim quote from a senior BA person:

" on your current piece, on the example of a Silver Member – if they have a Tier Point collection end date of 8 February 2023, they will need 600 Tier Points to renew and 1500 Tier Points to upgrade. Only those with a Tier Point collection end date up to Dec 2022 can renew and upgrade at the reduced threshold, here are the FAQs if that’s helpful"

So, looking at what is now on ba.com, it is clear that even the BA team had no idea what was going on.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
That may well be the case for Jan 2022 resets - you have almost the whole year of 2022, bar the last 8 days, to hit the reduced threshold.
You can't just have membership year resets distributed across all months of the year, but decide to cut off TP thresholds on a somewhat arbitrary calendar date - it should rightfully be synced to the membership reset cycles.
Your argument doesn’t take into consideration that there are quite a lot of places UK residents can’t travel very easily (or even at all) right now. A reduced threshold takes that into account for those with a Jan year end.

Those with a Dec year end don’t have to worry about that scenario for 11 months. A lot can (and will) change during that time.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
I spent many, many emails banging this point out with BA because I also could not believe it. However, it was made VERY clear to me that it only applied to your TP year which ended in 2022. So, for anyone with an 8th January 2022 year end, they would need the FULL TP for the coming year irrespective of when they requalified.

Here is a verbatim quote from a senior BA person:

" on your current piece, on the example of a Silver Member – if they have a Tier Point collection end date of 8 February 2023, they will need 600 Tier Points to renew and 1500 Tier Points to upgrade. Only those with a Tier Point collection end date up to Dec 2022 can renew and upgrade at the reduced threshold, here are the FAQs if that’s helpful"

So, looking at what is now on ba.com, it is clear that even the BA team had no idea what was going on.
Not at all surprised. Either that or BA team knows what's going on but their IT team have gone to show something that means totally different in ba.com - in which case we're back to square one of not really knowing which version of the story is correct (hopefully not).
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:06 am

Not at all surprised. Either that or BA team knows what's going on but their IT team have gone to show something that means totally different in ba.com - in which case we're back to square one of not really knowing which version of the story is correct (hopefully not).
I don't think we are back to square one. Previously, the wording was highly ambigous, and we were getting conflicting information from different sources, the FAQs were confilcting with the app, and customer services were also giving out conflicting advice.

At least things are consistent and laid out (more) clearly. We might believe this approach doesn't make sense and are confounded as to why BA have taken such a complicated approach to this, but that's a somewhat different point.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
At the moment yes

There is a belief that come next December travel may have returned to more or less normal so there is less of a requirement to offer a reduced threshold. The thinking is that the situation improves through the year so the reduced threshold requirement lessens.

In a perfect world it would have been reduced for the enitre earning year but at different levels for each renewal month as the year progresses however BA has chosen not to do this as yet

We will see what happens as we move through this year to see what, if anything, changes. Changes have been getting announed on or around the 20th of the moneth 3 months before the affected group, so next announcement would be around March 20th for the July to Oct renewals
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Raffles
Indeed, and given the obvious assertiveness in the bits that you quote in the answers that you receive, it seems not just that it had been left unclear but that it had been discussed/explained but very differently from the new mood music.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:06 am

That is strange for a May 2022 reset. Many of us, up to June 2022 resets, have had our cards extended to 2023 already.
BA though... being a clownshow is standard.

Means I'll have to waste another bunch of time trying to contact them.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:17 am

But this is correct. If you have a May 2022 reset, you have had this year extended, regardless of how many tier points you already have gain. So the cards will be extended through to June 2023,

The reduced tier points for the current year only apply if you want to move up a tier.

This new announcement applies for the 2022-2023 collection year. The full tier points apply, if you take all year to achieve them, but the reduced point apply if you achieve the targets by 31 Dec 2022. And if those targets are achieved, the card will be extended to June 2024
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
But confused by the latest messages (some suggest that the reduced tier points thresholds apply up to December 2022 no matter what it says on the app and at least one user has reported a direct quote by a BA rep that says otherwise..

i am only a Bronze, collection year ended 08/01/22, the app has reset to 400 points to retain status (so I guess 600 and 1500 for the other two levels) and the card has not be extended to June 2023 (simply to Feb 23, as it always has been). What is currently the situation for me?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
But confused by the latest messages (some suggest that the reduced tier points thresholds apply up to December 2022 no matter what it says on the app and at least one user has reported a direct quote by a BA rep that says otherwise..

i am only a Bronze, collection year ended 08/01/22, the app has reset to 400 points to retain status (so I guess 600 and 1500 for the other two levels) and the card has not be extended to June 2023 (simply to Feb 23, as it always has been). What is currently the situation for me?
It seems pretty clear if you read through this page: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits

... and scroll down to the FAQ titled: 'How do I benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement .....'

You are bronze until 28 Feb 23, either because you have retained it or you have been extended. You need to hit the reduced threshold by 31 Dec 22 to retain it, or upgrade to the next level, but if you don't make that by the end of Dec 22, you will have to hit the full threshold by the end of your TP year as normal. The app will still say you need full points as per:

Please note, Members with a Tier Point collection end date in 2023 will see the normal Tier Point threshold in the ‘My Account’ area on ba.com and the British Airways app from the start of their Tier Point collection year.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:51 am

Very strange extension process

Originally Posted by RG1X
My card expiry date still showing as 30th June 2022 but I know others that have had theirs extended already.

I really hope this isn't another one of those things they manage to screw up / we have to chase over.
My partner and I both have tier collection end dates of 8th April 2022. We are both Gold (although my partner has Silver in the points and status box at the bottom of the promo emails but shows Gold on the site). Both got email extending for another year. However my card end date was extended to 31
May 2023 within a day or so, my partners card still shows 31 May 2022. Makes no sense.
RG1X likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Anyone else still not had the extension yet?

Spike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.