Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:23 am

I guess we'll just see what happens with this in general as time goes on, but I think it's foolish to think that most people can achieve anywhere near their TP thresholds for at least the next year or so. There are still so many travel restrictions in place and until that changes I personally think that BA need to take a long hard look. For example, I'd planned to have earned the reduced TP level, but due to restrictions and cancellations I'll only gain 400 TP by my year end. No doubt there will be many people in similar situations. Do I think BA should do the right thing and extend the reduced thresholds? Absolutely, but I suspect they won't.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:51 am

So with March 22 (and 23) reset and 2x140 each way BAH double tier point bookings (may / October) I should only need 5 more TP to go gold as long as I get them before December 31 2022.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by i_concur
So with March 22 (and 23) reset and 2x140 each way BAH double tier point bookings (may / October) I should only need 5 more TP to go gold as long as I get them before December 31 2022.
Unsure about the specifics of your membership, based on 8 January 2022 precedents, you should see reset to full TPs reflected come 8 March 2022, for your membership year ending 8 March 2023.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bahyattpoints
Can confirm my Jan reset now shows 1,500 points to retain gold. However it also says:

Seems pretty clear now that Gold, GGL can be hit at reduced threshold as long as it happens before 31st Dec.
My collection year end was yesterday and I was a little miffed when I opened the app this morning as the COVID-19 statement is not shown. It only appears on the web site so great news...
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:26 am

So the guidance was updated 2 days ago. I've added bold for the key parts.

I think BA is correct to show the full targets in the app. For Jan 2023 reset, it's practically reduced thresholds for the whole year - just the final 8 days of the year. But as the year progresses on, the full target will apply more and more.

So this is (finally) pretty clear, which is good.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits

Updated: 7 January 2022

How do I benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement to upgrade or renew my Tier?

This means that:Members with a Tier Point collection end date up to June 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to upgrade their Tier status.

Members with a Tier Point collection end date between July 2022 and December 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to retain, or upgrade, their Tier status.

Members with a Tier Point collection end date in 2023 can benefit from the reduced thresholds to renew or upgrade their status for the following membership year, if they earn the required number of Tier Points by 31 December 2022 only. From 1 January 2023 the reduced Tier thresholds will no longer apply.

Please note, Members with a Tier Point collection end date in 2023 will see the normal Tier Point threshold in the ‘My Account’ area on ba.com and the British Airways app from the start of their Tier Point collection year.

If your Tier Point collection end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to upgrade your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will automatically be upgraded once you have earnt the required number of Tier Points. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your Tier Point collection end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

Please note, you will still need to have flown the minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights to qualify, which is two flights for Bronze membership, and four flights for Silver and Gold membership.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by zen100

I think BA is correct to show the full targets in the app. For Jan 2023 reset, it's practically reduced thresholds for the whole year - just the final 8 days of the year. But as the year progresses on, the full target will apply more and more.

Finally some clarity from BA! Quite how it took them so long is beyond me but I am glad it has at last been cleared up.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

thanks - that confirms that for July, August, and September renewal this is totally useless for now and we’ll have to wait and hope for a further status exemption…
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Oh very good, it's exactly what I expected it to be.

With a June renewal, it will give me six months to hit the reduced threshold, which is grand as I already have a 560TP trip booked for July.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Finally some clarity from BA! Quite how it took them so long is beyond me but I am glad it has at last been cleared up.
My suspicion, is they needed time to be able to display different tier point targets in the app - and held back from clarifying until they knew for certain that IT could follow through on what the business guys wanted to implement, rather than continually changing things.

The app needs to be able to display the different thresholds from the start of the collection year, otherwise customers are given the wrong expectation.

I suspect this change occurred behind the scenes, in the big November update
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
thanks - that confirms that for July, August, and September renewal this is totally useless for now and we’ll have to wait and hope for a further status exemption…
Not totally useless. Previously it wasn't clear if you would have reduced tier points from July 2022 to July 2023 at all. Now it's clear you will have the reduced thresholds, if you achieve them by December 31st 2022.

Appreciate that wasn't what you were looking for (a status extension for the current year). But July-Sept resets have more than they had a few days ago, even if it wasn't what you wanted.

The fact that BA are now showing different targets for different year-ends might also point towards BA reducing the tier point targets further for Jul-2022 resets, rather than a blanket status extension (if they do anything).
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not totally useless. Previously it wasn't clear if you would have reduced tier points from July 2022 to July 2023 at all. Now it's clear you will have the reduced thresholds, if you achieve them by December 31st 2022.
I can't think of any interpretation under which reduced tier points till 12/22 would mean you could not benefit from it if you met the reduced target by 12/22 (indeed, many others in this very thread assumed that it would necessarily mean that you could benefit from the reduced target as long as your membership year started by 12/22).

As for why I am calling it useless, what it means for those people is that BA's great gift is that if you can achieve 75% of your target in 24-49% of a membership year you will requalify. It is almost more akin to some airlines' standard status challenge rather than a covid-related reduced target, and as far as I am concerned, I consider it useless enough that I would be entirely fine with BAEC withdrawing that particular offer from me.

Again, I am not saying that things will not be amended later as BA seem to consider adaptations on a 3 month basis and I hope that they will continue doing so, but in the meantime, I feel no safer about my ability to protect my status today than I did before they made their announcement.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'm assuming it's to get things back to normal for 2023, but that more extensions are likely through 2022 - so hopefully everyone rolls in to a broadly pre-covid-style 2023 as things really are getting back to usual, with an opportunity to upgrade at lower thresholds to encourage travel but avoiding the 'cliff edge' for those that can't.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by drwook
I'm assuming it's to get things back to normal for 2023, but that more extensions are likely through 2022 - so hopefully everyone rolls in to a broadly pre-covid-style 2023 as things really are getting back to usual, with an opportunity to upgrade at lower thresholds to encourage travel but avoiding the 'cliff edge' for those that can't.
I was told by an old sales manager in the 1980's that to assume makes an "a s s" of "u" and "me" , something that has stuck with me since.

And as for more extensions, I for one doubt it , BA and others will need to draw a line in the sand somewhere sometime and I kinda feel we are fast approaching that moment.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
There is talk of what is necessary and what isn’t necessary and fair and what isn’t fair. Given how fast things can change, I believe that the only way to know what is the right thing to do is retroactively. It could be that for March 2022 onwards, travel gets close to pre-COVID in the borders open and testing/quarantine requirements start to disappear but it could be that a new super deadly variant turns up and grounds us all again. Each of those scenarios has very different necessary reactions in terms of status extensions and threshold reductions.
drwook likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:16 pm

My card expiry date still showing as 30th June 2022. I guess it's not technically the end of the week yet, but yeah... not expecting it to be updated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.