Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AJA_
Unfortunately I think not. I think you have to get the 4 eligible flights in before your TP year end date. Plus in your case you also have to get the 450TP by the TP year end date, the extension to 31 Dec 2022 doesn't help you.
Thanks. I think I was not clear. What I really meant to say was that, with status covered until Dec. 31, 2022, I want to obtain new status for the TP year starting Nov. 8, 2022 and ending Nov. 7, 2023 (then I get until Dec. 31, 2024).

So, does the 450 TP reduction apply to calendar year 2022 such that I could accrue these at the very beginning of my TP year ending Nov. 7, 2023? Or does it apply to TP years within calendar 2022, in which case it won't work for me? I can certainly get the 600 TP, but could apply the extras to AA (being US-based and AA Emerald) if the TP are based on calendar year and not TP year.

So, basically, do calendar year TP in 2022 apply at the reduced rate to a TP year 2023, or would I be back to normal rates (barring a further reduction) even in calendar 2022 for the 2023 TP year?

And, if I can squeeze the 45- TP for Silver into calendar 2022 for TP year 2023, the question returns to the actual segments, some of which would be in calendar year 2023.

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by brp
Thanks. I think I was not clear. What I really meant to say was that, with status covered until Dec. 31, 2022, I want to obtain new status for the TP year starting Nov. 8, 2022 and ending Nov. 7, 2023 (then I get until Dec. 31, 2024).

So, does the 450 TP reduction apply to calendar year 2022 such that I could accrue these at the very beginning of my TP year ending Nov. 7, 2023? Or does it apply to TP years within calendar 2022, in which case it won't work for me? I can certainly get the 600 TP, but could apply the extras to AA (being US-based and AA Emerald) if the TP are based on calendar year and not TP year.

So, basically, do calendar year TP in 2022 apply at the reduced rate to a TP year 2023, or would I be back to normal rates (barring a further reduction) even in calendar 2022 for the 2023 TP year?

And, if I can squeeze the 45- TP for Silver into calendar 2022 for TP year 2023, the question returns to the actual segments, some of which would be in calendar year 2023.

Cheers.
If your tp end date is november then you have until niv 8th to get to the reduced threshold. On nov 9th your points reset as usual.

As things stand at the moment you will then have until dec 31 to renew again at the reduced threshold. If you do not make it by dec 31 then you will have till nov 8th 2023 to get to the regular renewal threshold
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
If your tp end date is november then you have until niv 8th to get to the reduced threshold. On nov 9th your points reset as usual.

As things stand at the moment you will then have until dec 31 to renew again at the reduced threshold. If you do not make it by dec 31 then you will have till nov 8th 2023 to get to the regular renewal threshold
Thanks. I'm a bit unclear about your comments, On the one hand you are saying that I have only until Nov. 8, 2022 to take advantage of the reduced TP requalification. The second stanza seems to say that I would have until Dec. 31 for the reduced TP (so would qualify for the 2023 TP year if between Nov. 9 and Dec. 31). And this is the point of confusion for me at present. Sorry for being dense on this issue.

And to be clear - I am not trying to qualify again by Nov. 2022. I have status until Dec. 31, 2022. When I next qualify (prior to Nov. 2023 and, realistically, early in 2023 on segments and by end of 2022 on TP, I will be good until; Dec. 31, 2024.

If the latter (Dec. 31 deadline for next TP year), and I get all 450 TP, will I be able to fly some of the requisite 4 segments in 2023, or do those also need to be completed prior to Dec. 31, 2022 for the reduced TP acquisition to count for status?

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 6, 2022 at 5:50 pm Reason: lly
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by brp
If the latter (Dec. 31 deadline for next TP year), and I get all 450 TP, will I be able to fly some of the requisite 4 segments in 2023, or do those also need to be completed prior to Dec. 31, 2022 for the reduced TP acquisition to count for status?
I think I understand what you're trying to do. You're letting your status "lapse" by not flying in this collection year (ending Nov 2022)

But you are then aiming to do a rapid requalification in the 7 weeks between the end of your collection year and when your status expires. That's a smart approach, as you get nearly 2 years of silver status.

However, I think you will need to get the 450 tier points and the 4 segments in order to requalify for silver, so that will need to be done before the end of 2022.

The reduced tier points thresholds might get extended beyond December 2022, but even if they did, you would be flying as a bronze during your 4 segments in early 2023.

If the reduced tier points thresholds are not extended, then you might have to get the full 600 tier points after you have done your 4 segments, as you didn't properly get the extension before the end of 2022. Maybe the system is too dumb to differentiate and you might slip through, but I wouldn't count on it.
corporate-wage-slave and AJA_ like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zen100
I think I understand what you're trying to do. You're letting your status "lapse" by not flying in this collection year (ending Nov 2022)

But you are then aiming to do a rapid requalification in the 7 weeks between the end of your collection year and when your status expires. That's a smart approach, as you get nearly 2 years of silver status.

However, I think you will need to get the 450 tier points and the 4 segments in order to requalify for silver, so that will need to be done before the end of 2022.

The reduced tier points thresholds might get extended beyond December 2022, but even if they did, you would be flying as a bronze during your 4 segments in early 2023.

If the reduced tier points thresholds are not extended, then you might have to get the full 600 tier points after you have done your 4 segments, as you didn't properly get the extension before the end of 2022. Maybe the system is too dumb to differentiate and you might slip through, but I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks. This is what I was afraid of. As for flying Bronze for the beginning of 2023, that would not be a problem. My purpose for achieving BA silver is to use AA lounges (and Flagship) for domestic US flights. For main status we have Emerald through AA EXP. The early year flying would be journeys to Europe where the AA status would suffice for lounge access. Of course, any flights I don't need for BA status I can apply to AA for that requalification, hence the desire for the reduced TP number.

I guess the safest thing to do is to get the 450 TP in calendar 2022 and see. if I need 150 more come 2023, I can just apply flights as needed.

With AA (back when they had multiple criteria for status), each criterion was measured separately got received its own check mark on the tracker. If BA were to do this with TP and segments, it might slip through.Since the actual qualification year ends November 2023, I can hope that their system does something like "(reduced) 450 TP, check (before Dec. 31)...still need 4 segments...OK, now 4 segments (in 2023)...check...all good."

Of course, I could always email and ask. I'm sure that my asking won't change any results, but at least I'll know what they think should happen.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by brp
Since the actual qualification year ends November 2023, I can hope that their system does something like "(reduced) 450 TP, check (before Dec. 31)...still need 4 segments...OK, now 4 segments (in 2023)...check...all good."
You don't requalify on BA unless both criterion are met. Therefore it would have to be 450 TP and 4 sectors before 31 December 2022.

If you haven't met one of the other by the changeover, TPs will then increase to 600, to earn through to your November 2023 reset.

I would not hold any hope of you meeting the reduced threshold and then because one is met, the other can be met later. It's not how the BA system works, and one thing that hasn't changed is how the system works.
brp likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
You don't requalify on BA unless both criterion are met. Therefore it would have to be 450 TP and 4 sectors before 31 December 2022.

If you haven't met one of the other by the changeover, TPs will then increase to 600, to earn through to your November 2023 reset.

I would not hold any hope of you meeting the reduced threshold and then because one is met, the other can be met later. It's not how the BA system works, and one thing that hasn't changed is how the system works.
Thanks. That sounds pretty definitive, so I'm just going to assume that I will need the full 600. By repositioning AA and AS flights I can certainly get the TP by the end of the year. However, with a trip planned to Europe to span the NYE time, I can get 2 BA segments within this calendar year, but not 4.

I had thought I would need 600 and only noticed the further reduction when I happened to glance at this thread a few days back. So things are as I had expected until then and no sudden boon. C'est la vie

Unless, of course, they extend the reduced threshold later in the year, but I'll not be holding my breath for that...

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Have to agree. Remember that the app will show the full year targets from your next collection year, starting from 9th November. You won't see any reduced targets at all. As far as the system is concerned, there won't be any reduced thresholds any more.

But BA will extend the status for anyone that hits the reduced thesholds by 31st Dec. So on or about the 1st Jan, BA will presumably run some some of script update that will mark the status as being met for those that are within 25% of the targets.

Maybe BA IT will mess it up and forget about the 4 segments when running that script - this is BA IT after all. But I wouldn't count on it.
brp likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Remember that the app will show the full year targets from your next collection year, starting from 9th November. You won't see any reduced targets at all. As far as the system is concerned, there won't be any reduced thresholds any more.
This would make sense actually.

In my head, I thought the system would show the reduced number until 31 December 2022 and then on 1 January 2023 it would show the increased target. I suppose if it did that though, those who would have met the target would then see a new higher target straight after which would be confusing, especially if you were below it.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:46 am

In fact, the FAQ is pretty clear in this

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits
If your Tier Point collection end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to upgrade your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will automatically be upgraded once you have earnt the required number of Tier Points. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your Tier Point collection end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

Please note, you will still need to have flown the minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights to qualify, which is two flights for Bronze membership, and four flights for Silver and Gold membership.
brp and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, the FAQ is pretty clear in this

Yeah, the have flown verb tense seems to be pretty clear that these segments will have to have occurred during the reduced Tier Point collection period for that reduced threshold to count and that piecemeal satisfaction of reduced TP now and segments later would not qualify. Good to have a formal conformation.

Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
As a March baby I had a look at my account today as it reset overnight and can see it asking for 1500 TP to retain status. I should hit the reduced 1125 threshold by mid summer and will be interested to see if my status is automatically extended to the end of April 2024 at that stage. I will report back.

Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
As a March baby I had a look at my account today as it reset overnight and can see it asking for 1500 TP to retain status. I should hit the reduced 1125 threshold by mid summer and will be interested to see if my status is automatically extended to the end of April 2024 at that stage. I will report back.

If you have a year end date of anything in 2023, the system shows the non reduced rates. But if you earn status before Dec 31, you'll still be qualified at the reduced rates.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:42 am

I’m exactly the same as above. Mine reset last night and showing normal 1500 tier points required. Without sounding silly and repeating what’s already been quoted can I just confirm if I hit the 1125 by end Dec this year it will renew me for next year at reduced points? Thanks very much
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by womble1970
I’m exactly the same as above. Mine reset last night and showing normal 1500 tier points required. Without sounding silly and repeating what’s already been quoted can I just confirm if I hit the 1125 by end Dec this year it will renew me for next year at reduced points? Thanks very much
Yes, you will definitely retain status, although it won't update to show you have retained status until Jan 2023 (unless you happen to get the full 1,500 points anyway).

If your Tier Point collection end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.
womble1970 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.