Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Originally Posted by Jaenks
It is about the time to BA bring back officially lowered renewal thresholds. While there are different thoughts about what that number could be, if at all, I would suggest that for Silver 500TP(previously 400TP), Gold 1100TPs(previously 800TP) and GGL 2250TP.
If anything they should be increasing the thresholds, it's getting too easy to attain these days just look at the state of the lounges.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
If anything they should be increasing the thresholds, it's getting too easy to attain these days just look at the state of the lounges.
The fact that my daughter, with leisure travel only, is likely to make Gold this year, is testament to this. However, in her case at least, I would put it down to double tier points on holiday bookings more so than the reduced threshold.
Fatdickie and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
The fact that my daughter, with leisure travel only, is likely to make Gold this year, is testament to this. However, in her case at least, I would put it down to double tier points on holiday bookings more so than the reduced threshold.
I suppose the thing about more leisure-only travellers is that they generally fly far less often so having lots of holidaymakers on status will probably only cause capacity issues in school holidays. I was in Galleries South on April 5th and the place was absolutely bloody rammed - mostly with bored looking kids (who wouldn't be bored if you couldn't help yourself to free Grey Goose?)
lsquare and TedToToe like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
100% agree.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TedToToe
not really surprising: leisure travel is far more under her control than business travel which for many of us is still virtually impossible depending on destination and company.

and the double tp be holidays from the uk has created further inequality between uk based and other travellers. I wonder how many people who cannot book uk originating ba holiday have managed to requalify even on even the reduced thresholds. Some I’m sure, but probably not huge numbers.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Leisure travel is under your control even for business travellers

At the end of the day BA can’t keep covering business travellers indefinitely by continually extending status when their travel has been reduced by changed company policies, entry restrictions, or reduced travel budgets. I did raise this issue a while ago on this thread and that there would come a time when this may happen.
aks120, xenole, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by zen100
I think it's possible (though far from guaranteed) that a 1st Jan flight might slip through - based upon how I suspect BA will handle this.

It seems likely that BA IT will run a report in early Jan to see who hit the reduced thresholds, and these will then be extended. But if they ran this report on 1st Jan, that would mean a lot of "But my late Dec flights didn't post until a week later" calls/enquiries, so I suspect they'll probably run that report about a week into Jan, to allow the late Dec flights to post in time.

Now they could make the report really smart - and unpick the posting date. But I'm not convinced BA will go to that degree of effort. They just need something which catches the vast majority. WIll it be worth the extra effort to catch the odd person that made a flight on the 1st/2nd Jan that pushed them over the threshold?

All this is subject to speculation and no guarantee at all. So anyone wanting to retain a tier, needs to make those flights by 31st Dec. If 1st Jan flights slip through the system, that's an unexpected bonus. If a 1st Jan flight doesn't slip through, then there will be no basis for escalation.
I suspect BA will deal with this in exactly the same way they deal with the TPs earned on the 8th (last day) of a Membership Year being posted a few days later. It will be a relatively simple exercise; a simple interrogation of the membership database with status extended for those who met the reduced renewal/promotion thresholds by 31 December. I expect BA will continue their strict observance of the qualification criteria for promotion to GGL. IIRC two week extensions have never been offered to GGL promotions and I can’t see why they would change that now especially with the very generous reduced qualification threshold. I cannot see BA will offer the two week extension for reduced TP qualification at any tier.

I mentioned here several months ago the mood music about global status extensions was there would be no more, that same mood music is that reduced thresholds will end on 31 January unless travel restrictions are reintroduced.
KARFA and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zen100
It's possible BA would extend the 25% reduced thresholds - beyond the current date of Dec 2022. I think it's less likely, but time will tell.
Very little chance I would expect (baring a new nasty strain) as leisure travel is almost back to normal and business travel is starting to get going again. At work we are starting to do international meetings and conferences for the first time since early 2020.

The good news is that I got Silver last week thanks to the reduced thresholds. It's the first time I would have got to Silver purely on leisure travel.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
At the end of the day BA can’t keep covering business travellers indefinitely by continually extending status when their travel has been reduced by changed company policies, entry restrictions, or reduced travel budgets. I did raise this issue a while ago on this thread and that there would come a time when this may happen.
of course they can - they can do whatever they want without requiring anyone’s permission. Conversely, they don’t owe anything to anyone - regardless of location or profile - so if you mean they don’t have to, then I fully agree that they don’t have to protect anyones status, and never did, it’s totally their choice. I don’t think that is a particularly controversial point.

My answer simply pointed that the fact that status maintained for x does not mean it would be easy for y and z. for a while they did for everyone now it seems their goal is to focus on uk based leisure travellers and let the rest slip if must be. As I said it’s their choice, they control who they focus on and in turn, we, the customers control how we respond in terms of travel choices when the sky turns bluer in a few months.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
of course they can - they can do whatever they want without requiring anyone’s permission. Conversely, they don’t owe anything to anyone - regardless of location or profile - so if you mean they don’t have to, then I fully agree that they don’t have to protect anyones status, and never did, it’s totally their choice. I don’t think that is a particularly controversial point.
indeed, of course they can. They could scrap BAEC altogether if they wanted to. I am suggesting that they won’t indefinitely protect your status just because your business travel continues to be non existent.

I would have more sympathy if business travellers didn’t frame their argument as I can’t travel therefore BA must protect my status. People can travel for leisure if they wish and gain TPs from that if status is important to them, and BA is not under obligation to protect your status indefinitely because your employer won’t pay for your business trips or you can no longer go to China etc. where you used to go 5 times a month. It can come across as a sense of entitlement - and yes I note the irony of using that term when it comes to status and FFPs
TedToToe and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
This is going to sound really daft but I’ll ask it anyway.

I am GGL, but with Aug expiry I have no possibility to renew. If I get the 1150 (?) required for gold, will I be renewed at gold or will I drop to silver on the basis I didn’t achieve the required TP for my current tier?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
This is going to sound really daft but I’ll ask it anyway.

I am GGL, but with Aug expiry I have no possibility to renew. If I get the 1150 (?) required for gold, will I be renewed at gold or will I drop to silver on the basis I didn’t achieve the required TP for my current tier?
under those circumstances you would drop to gold having achieved the reduced threshold.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Thanks KARFA.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by orbitmic
not really surprising: leisure travel is far more under her control than business travel which for many of us is still virtually impossible depending on destination and company.

and the double tp be holidays from the uk has created further inequality between uk based and other travellers. I wonder how many people who cannot book uk originating ba holiday have managed to requalify even on even the reduced thresholds. Some I’m sure, but probably not huge numbers.
It's definitely not fair for North Americans like me not to have a double TP offer. However, I have already booked flights that will get me to Gold before the end of 2022.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's definitely not fair for North Americans like me not to have a double TP offer. However, I have already booked flights that will get me to Gold before the end of 2022.
well I agree on that point, but it could be suggested that with a very large domestic travel network with AA & AS you have lots of opportunities for restriction free travel which hasn’t necessarily been the case for UK based members. Although the requirement for 4 eligible flights is clearly an issue for non UK members.

personally I haven’t taken any advantage of the double TP offer as I rarely book using BAH.
lsquare and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.