Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist and others via Amex Plat
Exceptionally helpful stephenjc - thank you very much. I'm so glad to have checked this on the forum, otherwise I would have made a rather ignorant blunder.

I suspect it makes sense to try and re-qualify for gold between now and 7th July, which is possible.
Perhaps I need to post a request for advice in a different thread on how to achieve 480TPs on a trip to the east coast!
Then aim to earn a further 1125 between 8 Jul to 31 Dec, which will keep gold membership through July 2024.

Thank you again and FlightDetective
stephenjc likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKUAFlyer
Exceptionally helpful stephenjc - thank you very much. I'm so glad to have checked this on the forum, otherwise I would have made a rather ignorant blunder.

I suspect it makes sense to try and re-qualify for gold between now and 7th July, which is possible.
Perhaps I need to post a request for advice in a different thread on how to achieve 480TPs on a trip to the east coast!
Then aim to earn a further 1125 between 8 Jul to 31 Dec, which will keep gold membership through July 2024.

Thank you again and FlightDetective
Easiest way would be to take advantage of the double TP promotion and book a trip including car/hotel for at least 5 nights anywhere on the east coast for 560 TP in J
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
The email from virgin Atlantic does also mention reduced thresholds until March 23 versus Dec 22, so that may be of use to some people here, should BA follow.
Obviously it’s not the same process as for BAEC but a very clear across the board 20 or 25% reduction in TPs, starting next month.

>>>
However, with travel restrictions being eased, we want to thank you for your continued loyalty by reducing our tier point threshold for the next year.

Moving up to a higher Flying Club status will be even easier than ever. Between 1st April 2022 and 31 March 2023, to move up to the next tier you’ll need:

Silver 300 Tier Points

Instead of the usual 400 points. It could be just three return flights in Economy

Gold 800 Tier Points

Instead of the usual 1,000 points. It could be just two return flights in Upper Class
<<<<

FWIW I can’t see how BA can make a similar approach work but it’s simplicity is admirable. And indeed may also persuade at least one FTer to give VS a shot whilst their status with BA is secure.

(Edited to remove tracking info on some links)

Last edited by SavvyTravel; Mar 19, 2022 at 1:24 am
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
As a Sep renewal, I was hoping for an announcement today. I guess the extension party is over. Never got to use any Gold benefits as business travel is still restricted.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Acid
As a Sep renewal, I was hoping for an announcement today. I guess the extension party is over. Never got to use any Gold benefits as business travel is still restricted.
Can I ask why you were hoping for an announcement today?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
If I'm not mistaken, the quarterly extension emails came around the 20th/21st. Last 2 were on 9/20 and 12/21
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Virgin Atlantic extensions have been anything but simple.

Online, they have been rolling over tier point totals in line with status extensions. However, the rules for status have not changed - it is based purely on the last 365 days of earning.

This means that a lot of people see a tier point total online which is more than enough for a higher status, but confusingly have not been upgraded because only the last 365 days are counted.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
based in previous announcements, The december one, for apr - jun TP end dates ( rather spookily ) hit my mailbox at 12:21 on the 21/12
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
If business travel comes back then you can get back to gold. If you're not flying enough these days or in the near future to get to gold, how much are the benefits really worth?

Your profile says you're NYC based and travel throughout US has not been restricted, so plenty of opportunities to fly.

But also, don't count out an extension just yet. No hard and fast rule that today is the day we hear.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
based in previous announcements, The december one, for apr - jun TP end dates ( rather spookily ) hit my mailbox at 12:21 on the 21/12
Hmm so we should have received the email at 03:21 this morning then.
Based on this deep analysis it is now confirmed no extension email will be forthcoming.

<insert moan about being unable to fly/use benefits>
Arsey00, becks1, TTmex and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
If business travel comes back then you can get back to gold. If you're not flying enough these days or in the near future to get to gold, how much are the benefits really worth?

Your profile says you're NYC based and travel throughout US has not been restricted, so plenty of opportunities to fly.

But also, don't count out an extension just yet. No hard and fast rule that today is the day we hear.
NYC based with frequent travel to UK/India (work/pleasure) pre-covid. Within US I have no business travel, personal is based on convenience. I could not fly BA to India due to India's bubble rules(they end next week) - so the few trips that I have taken since last year have been on UA/VS to UK/India.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I've also been hamstrung by India. I normally go there 4x per year, at 360 TP for each return. That accounted for nearly half my GGL renewal. If I am lucky I will make 1 or 2 trips there before Aug 8th but woefully short of reaching the bar to renew.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
NYC based with frequent travel to UK/India (work/pleasure) pre-covid. Within US I have no business travel, personal is based on convenience. I could not fly BA to India due to India's bubble rules(they end next week) - so the few trips that I have taken since last year have been on UA/VS to UK/India.
You can status match to TAP (Star Alliance) or ITA (SkyTeam) if you fancy guaranteeing another year of status. Plus if you're flying to India on BA in business or PE you'll be close back to gold level in a couple of trips
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by TTmex
You can status match to TAP (Star Alliance) or ITA (SkyTeam) if you fancy guaranteeing another year of status. Plus if you're flying to India on BA in business or PE you'll be close back to gold level in a couple of trips
Various reports online that using an ITA card to access other SkyTeam alliance member lounges results in access being denied.

I'd be of the view that matching to any other SkyTeam programme would be a better bet (if any are offering status matches!)
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Various reports online that using an ITA card to access other SkyTeam alliance member lounges results in access being denied.

I'd be of the view that matching to any other SkyTeam programme would be a better bet (if any are offering status matches!)
I think the reason for this is that Volare only launched on 1st March but they gave out cards before this, which didn't work.

That said, if you go the SkyTeam website and do the 'what SkyTeam level is my frequent flyer card', you get Alitalia in the dropdown but not ITA .....!

Re BA .... at some point someone has to bite the bullet. The travellers of 2019 would not (even without a pandemic) be the same heavy travellers of 2023. Arguably it makes more sense to pull Gold from everyone who has had it rolled and then give it back to anyone who manages 2 x premium long-haul flights this year. At least the cards will be in the hands of people who are actually flying.
FlightDetective and TTmex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.