Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I sincerely apologize if this has been asked/answered, but this is getting to be a rather long thread. Would like to confirm my understanding of requirements this year before booking additional flights.

Historically, have always credited BA flights to AA, however we have decided to pursue BA status this year. Created a BAEC account for my wife. Just want to confirm, are this years reduced tier point requirements (assuming achieved by December 31st) applicable to brand new BAEC members or only to people that had BAEC accounts prior to the announcement? Her membership year ends on March 8, 2023, but I'm assuming if we achieve the reduced tier point thresholds prior to the end of the year that will be honored?

Part of the reason I ask the question is that we've had a flight post to the BAEC account, but the "tracker" towards the next status level shows the standard tier points required, not the reduced levels supposedly in effect. Is BA just adjusting status manually once you cross a reduced threshold?

Regards
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I sincerely apologize if this has been asked/answered, but this is getting to be a rather long thread. Would like to confirm my understanding of requirements this year before booking additional flights.

Historically, have always credited BA flights to AA, however we have decided to pursue BA status this year. Created a BAEC account for my wife. Just want to confirm, are this years reduced tier point requirements (assuming achieved by December 31st) applicable to brand new BAEC members or only to people that had BAEC accounts prior to the announcement? Her membership year ends on March 8, 2023, but I'm assuming if we achieve the reduced tier point thresholds prior to the end of the year that will be honored?

Part of the reason I ask the question is that we've had a flight post to the BAEC account, but the "tracker" towards the next status level shows the standard tier points required, not the reduced levels supposedly in effect. Is BA just adjusting status manually once you cross a reduced threshold?

Regards
It applies to all members including new.
My own account's tier tracker shows the reduced threshold requirements.
My partner's account , which was opened this year shows the old (normal) tier thresholds but she moved from blue->bronze when she hit the reduced threshold, automatically.
She also has this displayed in her account (under "Progress to next tier"), which I do not have displayed:

Tobias-UK and BertieBadger like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
It certainly is looking less and less likely that there will be any further extensions at this point.

Does anyone know if the reduced thresholds definitely apply if you are moving down a tier? For example, I'm currently GGL but doing much less work travel than I was. If I get 1125 Tier Points before December 31st, will I definitely retain Gold whilst obviously losing GGL?
When is your year-end?

If it's July, it might be better to drop down to Silver, briefly, but get 1,125 before December 2022 to requalify for Gold for the rest of the 2022/23 year, plus the 2023/24 year.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
That doesn't match what I see in my account:

COVID-19: How the Executive Club is supporting you

We have reduced the amount of Tier Points required to renew your Tier status by 25% throughout 2022. As a Gold Guest List member, this means that you could renew your Gold Guest List membership if you earn 2,250 Tier Points by the 31st December 2022. From 1st January 2023, the normal Tier Point thresholds will then apply. Read more here
Where does that appear in your account MikeP? I'm a July year end but can't see that in my account.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by zen100
When is your year-end?

If it's July, it might be better to drop down to Silver, briefly, but get 1,125 before December 2022 to requalify for Gold for the rest of the 2022/23 year, plus the 2023/24 year.
My year end is not until March so I'm GGL until at least April 30th 2023. The question is more whether enough travel comes back to get to 2250 Tier Points before the end of 2022.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by gcuk
Where does that appear in your account MikeP? I'm a July year end but can't see that in my account.
It's in the main page of my account. I think I may have confused things by not clarifying my own year end is March. My point was that, with further extensions not looking likely and work travel remaining for a lot of us very subdued, GGL is looking increasingly unlikely for some of us, even with the Tier Point reductions in place.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:40 am

It's in the main page of my account. I think I may have confused things by not clarifying my own year end is March. My point was that, with further extensions not looking likely and work travel remaining for a lot of us very subdued, GGL is looking increasingly unlikely for some of us, even with the Tier Point reductions in place.
Got it - while there is a small chance of extensions for the Apr to Jul year ends, there is absolutely zero chance of full extensions running through to next March

Then if you can't get 2,250 by the end of December to retain GGL, I'm pretty sure that getting 1,125 by the end of December would requalify you for Gold.
Mike P likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zen100
Got it - while there is a small chance of extensions for the Apr to Jul year ends, there is absolutely zero chance of full extensions running through to next March

Then if you can't get 2,250 by the end of December to retain GGL, I'm pretty sure that getting 1,125 by the end of December would requalify you for Gold.
I'm pretty sure the April to June 2022 year ends have already been extended to 2023. The cohort waiting to see if any further extensions happen are the July to September 2022 TP year ends.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by danmushman
It applies to all members including new.
My own account's tier tracker shows the reduced threshold requirements.
My partner's account , which was opened this year shows the old (normal) tier thresholds but she moved from blue->bronze when she hit the reduced threshold, automatically.
She also has this displayed in her account (under "Progress to next tier"), which I do not have displayed:
Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it. I do see the message that you posted in your screenshot in the account as well. Interesting that they don't just show the reduced tier requirements this year in everyone's account rather than selectively.

Regards
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Looks like we summer babies have missed out then. Just lucky I guess.

Will be interesting to see how this hits BA's bottom line. In my case it will be a few thousand, but that's probably atypical.

Just sayin...

Edit: Oh, and do they care? Answer....
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm assuming you're right, Grace B . I have asked the question directly to the Exec Club however and I hope there will be an answer coming this week.

Otherwise I have to then decide whether to do a TP run for only the second time in my life!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I always assumed that the year reset happened on the day stated in your BAEC account eg 8 April so expected flights that I had taken on 8 April to count towards next year’s status. Is that not the case?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I always assumed that the year reset happened on the day stated in your BAEC account eg 8 April so expected flights that I had taken on 8 April to count towards next year’s status. Is that not the case?
No. Anything with a scheduled local time of departure on the 8th of the month your collection year ends counts towards your previous year.

Occasionally they may post into your current year but would then be retroactively moved to the previous year. Sometimes they wouldn't be removed from the current year but that's an error (and whether it's an error you want to draw attention to would depend on individual circumstances)
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
8th is the last day for collection in a current TP year. Flights taken on that date (even if you travel overnight and land on the 9th) will credit to your old year and anything taken from the 9th will credit to the new TP year.

Pilot37
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pilot37
8th is the last day for collection in a current TP year. Flights taken on that date (even if you travel overnight and land on the 9th) will credit to your old year and anything taken from the 9th will credit to the new TP year.

Pilot37
Ah okay. My bad. First time in all these years that I’ve had travel on the year end date. No biggie I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.