Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Does anyone know whether, to benefit from the current 25% TP reduction, 4 BA flights have to be taken by the 31 Dec 2022 cut-off, or would it be enough to have earned the 450 TPs on other OW airlines and then fly the 4 qualifying BA sectors between 31 Dec and my TP year end ?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Does anyone know whether, to benefit from the current 25% TP reduction, 4 BA flights have to be taken by the 31 Dec 2022 cut-off, or would it be enough to have earned the 450 TPs on other OW airlines and then fly the 4 qualifying BA sectors between 31 Dec and my TP year end ?
I don’t think that will work. In order to benefit from the reduced TPs you need to qualify before 31 December 2022, without the required 4 BA sectors you will not qualify.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Sorry, I don't know... but I wouldn't risk it and I would try to fulfill every requirement by 31 Dec.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I don’t think that will work. In order to benefit from the reduced TPs you need to qualify before 31 December 2022, without the required 4 BA sectors you will not qualify.
That is my interpretation as well.

Regards
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Correct. To quote from BA.com

Note that it won't update immediately, again from BA.com

So it will take until January for the renewal to reflect.
very helpful, thank you. currently at 1800 tier points, but showing as card expiry as July 2023 - thought it might have updated to July 2024 as i have accumulated enough for gold already.

thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dansound
very helpful, thank you. currently at 1800 tier points, but showing as card expiry as July 2023 - thought it might have updated to July 2024 as i have accumulated enough for gold already.

thanks!
If you are already gold, and this is simply a matter of retaining status, then it doesn't matter.

If you were at lower status, then it shouldn't take more than a few days for BA to update your status to gold, while the renewal date might take longer to update. Your online account should be showing that you have taken the 4 required flights and the number of TPs needed to attain the next level (GGL).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:20 am

My silver status has just renewed and is showing as needing 600 TPs to renew, but despite that I only need 450 by the end of the year right?

BUT I'd also need to complete 4 flights. I have a CW Return to ATL booked (so 2 flights) and some internal US flights with AA. Do those AA flights count, or because I booked them direct with AA (although added my BA Exec Club Number) will they not count towards my 4 required flights? I can't work out if all AA flights have a BA flight number too.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
My silver status has just renewed and is showing as needing 600 TPs to renew, but despite that I only need 450 by the end of the year right?

BUT I'd also need to complete 4 flights. I have a CW Return to ATL booked (so 2 flights) and some internal US flights with AA. Do those AA flights count, or because I booked them direct with AA (although added my BA Exec Club Number) will they not count towards my 4 required flights? I can't work out if all AA flights have a BA flight number too.
The BA pages here describe the reduce threshold situation: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits

Please note, Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date in 2023 will see the normal Tier Point threshold in the ‘My Account’ area on ba.com and the British Airways app from the start of their Tier Point collection year.
And yes, you need 4 qualifying flights - see this thread about the whole process and what counts as a qualifying flight (post #4): Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2021 edition

Just because your AA flight might also have a BA flight number doesn't make it qualifying.
mediamonkey and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Sorry for the newbie question, everyone:

I have a tier point collecting year ending in May 2023 and I've already qualified for Gold utilizing the reduced 1125 TP threshold. When I hit 1125, this was the first time I've ever qualified for Gold. My card expiry indicates June 2024. I understand my Gold is valid until then.

Let's say I earn 375 more TP to have 1500 by May 2023. Would my card expiry, now set for June 2024, be extended to June 2025? Or until May 2023 is it fair to say that there is no need to earn TPs unless I'm going for reduced GGL (3750) by 31/12/2022 or 5000 TP by May 2023? I don't have anywhere close to the travel booked to make those thresholds so I don't intend to try.

I primarily credit to AA but I credit to BA to maintain OWS/OWE for lounge access.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Once you qualified for gold, any extra TPs you earn in your current membership year don’t get you anything - although they will count towards lifetime TPs.
BertieBadger and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Sorry for the newbie question, everyone:

I have a tier point collecting year ending in May 2023 and I've already qualified for Gold utilizing the reduced 1125 TP threshold. When I hit 1125, this was the first time I've ever qualified for Gold. My card expiry indicates June 2024. I understand my Gold is valid until then.

Let's say I earn 375 more TP to have 1500 by May 2023. Would my card expiry, now set for June 2024, be extended to June 2025? Or until May 2023 is it fair to say that there is no need to earn TPs unless I'm going for reduced GGL (3750) by 31/12/2022 or 5000 TP by May 2023? I don't have anywhere close to the travel booked to make those thresholds so I don't intend to try.

I primarily credit to AA but I credit to BA to maintain OWS/OWE for lounge access.
No, you would not get an extra year; you will have already qualified for the year ending 8MAY23. Any further TPs earned before then would only count, as you surmise, for GGL qualification or for GUF or for GUF vouchers.
KARFA, Lefly, BertieBadger and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
''...Just because your AA flight might also have a BA flight number doesn't make it qualifying...''
Interesting, VP. That's not what the criteria says, unless I've missed something. In what circumstances would the 'Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix', not qualify? (Asking out of self-interest respect of four upcoming QR flights (with BA flight numbers), one of which will be needed for requalification).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert279
Interesting, VP. That's not what the criteria says, unless I've missed something. In what circumstances would the 'Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix', not qualify? (Asking out of self-interest respect of four upcoming QR flights (with BA flight numbers), one of which will be needed for requalification).
That BA might offer a codeshare on a particular AA flight is not the criteria, rather the flight must be booked under the BA code in order for the flight to be an "eligible" flight.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
That BA might offer a codeshare on a particular AA flight is not the criteria, rather the flight must be booked under the BA code in order for the flight to be an "eligible" flight.
By way of example of this point:

I could and I have booked itineraries with BA that included Alaska Airlines flights, which sometimes have BA codeshare flight numbers. Separately, I might buy a ticket from Alaska Airlines using those same flights, and booked under my BAEC number. In the latter case, all I would potentially get is BA Tier Points and Avios, but that flight would not, never would count, towards the 4 flight requirement for BA status.

In the former case, not only would you get TPs and Avios, but you could conceivably have those Alaska flights count towards the 4 required BA segments being as the ticket was sold by BA and the Alaska flights had BA flight numbers. In theory, this is what would happen, although I'm not at all sure that it would, and BA might take a more restrictive view limiting the meaning of "marketed by BA" to flights which are either part of the BA-AA joint venture transatlantic service, flights operated by Iberia which were sold under a BA flight number by BA, and perhaps Quatar Airways flights, the latter two examples because of partial joint ownership.

But I'm not really clear on that; would the AS flights sold by BA with a BA flight number count? Getting enough "BA Segments" has never been an issue for me, but at least at the level of a theoretical discussion, I am curious.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by champignon
By way of example of this point:

I could and I have booked itineraries with BA that included Alaska Airlines flights, which sometimes have BA codeshare flight numbers. Separately, I might buy a ticket from Alaska Airlines using those same flights, and booked under my BAEC number. In the latter case, all I would potentially get is BA Tier Points and Avios, but that flight would not, never would count, towards the 4 flight requirement for BA status.

In the former case, not only would you get TPs and Avios, but you could conceivably have those Alaska flights count towards the 4 required BA segments being as the ticket was sold by BA and the Alaska flights had BA flight numbers. In theory, this is what would happen, although I'm not at all sure that it would, and BA might take a more restrictive view limiting the meaning of "marketed by BA" to flights which are either part of the BA-AA joint venture transatlantic service, flights operated by Iberia which were sold under a BA flight number by BA, and perhaps Quatar Airways flights, the latter two examples because of partial joint ownership.

But I'm not really clear on that; would the AS flights sold by BA with a BA flight number count? Getting enough "BA Segments" has never been an issue for me, but at least at the level of a theoretical discussion, I am curious.
Yes, as long as the flight is booked under the BA code(marketed by BA) it doesn’t matter what airline operates the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.