Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but booked a last-minute BER-LHR flight yesterday for this afternoon, and it looks like I'm checked in fine, but the app won't issue a boarding pass (something about an error with passbook), and while I can get a PDF (which says I'm ready to fly and has a green check) there is a message in red at the top saying e ticket - no coupon. Is this something I should be worried about (and therefore head to the airport early) or should I assume it's just some IT glitch
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by truncated
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but booked a last-minute BER-LHR flight yesterday for this afternoon, and it looks like I'm checked in fine, but the app won't issue a boarding pass (something about an error with passbook), and while I can get a PDF (which says I'm ready to fly and has a green check) there is a message in red at the top saying e ticket - no coupon. Is this something I should be worried about (and therefore head to the airport early) or should I assume it's just some IT glitch
The Passbook error has happened a lot recently (although I've only seen it on US-UK flights so far). Never had a problem with airport BP issuing despite having seen it twice. Not sure on the coupon part, will leave that to someone else.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That error is a strange one, it harks back to the days when it was critical for gate staff to collect in the coupons at boarding, however e-tickets of course would not have a coupon. So that's a blast from the past and any gate agent under about 40 wouldn't have a clue about this. But in any event, it doesn't matter, if you have a boarding pass with a bar code or QR code then you can relax, it's all you need.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:06 pm

Thanks both! Indeed had no issues getting a paper BP at BER, and I guess if I'd tried to find a printer and printed out the PDF BP that would have been fine as well.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That error is a strange one, it harks back to the days when it was critical for gate staff to collect in the coupons at boarding, however e-tickets of course would not have a coupon. So that's a blast from the past and any gate agent under about 40 wouldn't have a clue about this. But in any event, it doesn't matter, if you have a boarding pass with a bar code or QR code then you can relax, it's all you need.
Not to take things too OT but I thought etickets still have coupons (and the coupons are lifted as the BP is scanned or something like that) — or am I mixing that up with something else?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by truncated
Not to take things too OT but I thought etickets still have coupons (and the coupons are lifted as the BP is scanned or something like that) — or am I mixing that up with something else?
Yes, but the computer does that. In the old days the gate agents had to physically remove them from the sleeve and count them by hand to reconcile them. So if you presented an empty sleeve the agent would then check for the message in question here. If it was present then all is good, it's over to the computers. If the message was absent then a search for the paper coupon would then result.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:07 pm

Yes, but the computer does that. In the old days the gate agents had to physically remove them from the sleeve and count them by hand to reconcile them. So if you presented an empty sleeve the agent would then check for the message in question here. If it was present then all is good, it's over to the computers. If the message was absent then a search for the paper coupon would then result.
Ah got it - my interpretation of the message on the BP was that the electronic version of the coupon was missing from the eticket (if that's possible? I think it is) although presumably 99% of the public doesn't know what a coupon is and wouldn't be worried
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Is Dubrovnik an airport that doesn’t do OLCI?

App showing it isn’t available for my DBV>LHR>EDI flight tomorrow. Both of us in club, definitely ticketed and no passport issues.

I know FR24 is hardly a reliable source, but can’t help notice there’s no aircraft showing as allocated for the flight there. On the outward journey I knew the a/c that was carrying us a couple of days in advance.

Is there a chance this could be a cancellation?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, DBV and Split have an in-house airport control system which doesn't link to FLY or Amadeus or Altéa. This is usually the remit of small airports, or places which haven't invested in IT locally (e.g. Greek islands) but in the case of DBV and SPU it's just a local decision to centralise on their own system. If you hunt around the website of DBV you may find this link for doing check-in

https://niko.hr/webcheckin/Default.a...port=DBV&self=

No guarantees if this will work though. The most reliable place for information on cancellations is Flight Status on BA.com
Old Jun 18, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Yes, DBV and Split have an in-house airport control system which doesn't link to FLY or Amadeus or Altéa. This is usually the remit of small airports, or places which haven't invested in IT locally (e.g. Greek islands) but in the case of DBV and SPU it's just a local decision to centralise on their own system. If you hunt around the website of DBV you may find this link for doing check-in

https://niko.hr/webcheckin/Default.a...port=DBV&self=

No guarantees if this will work though. The most reliable place for information on cancellations is Flight Status on BA.com
Magnificent, thank you so much.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Just as a datapoint, I tried checking in for a DUB-LCY flight that had been cancelled and rebooked through MMB. In Chrome, I got to the bag check page, but after that, I was kicked from the process and told to check in at the airport.

On a lark, I tried the process in Firefox and succeeded. So if one browser doesn't work, always a good idea to give another one a shot.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:42 am

I had the same problem with an ITA Airways (Alitalia that was). It could not find the booking. After a few days I tried Chrome instead of Edge and voila, booking came up right away.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
DLM departure no MBP

Hi all. Travelling tomorrow from DLM, OLCI was fine but app says no mobile or online BP. Dropping bags so no big drama but wondering if this is normal?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I vaguely recall DLM needs a printed version? On the main website (not the app) can you theoretically print yourself a boarding pass? If so may be fax it to your hotel reception.
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Yep, totally normally for dalaman, they’ll print your boarding card at bag drop - we came back through dalaman last month but it was also standard before covid
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
Yep, totally normally for dalaman, they’ll print your boarding card at bag drop - we came back through dalaman last month but it was also standard before covid
many thanks for the reassurance Karen Jackson

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.