Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The App and website OLCI codes are a bit different so maybe try the other one using the BA not AA locator?
I did try the other, but it turned out that OLCI decided I needed a vaccination certificate, even as a USA citizen, but the software tools didn't ask me for it, because they knew I didn't. Once I showed someone at the airport my vaccination certificate OLCI was unlocked. `

Maybe being a dual citizen with two passports in the system confused things.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 2:22 am

Couldn't check in for our flight from HAM via LHR to LAX tomorrow because allegedly our Covid Certificates are not at record. I do have an Mail from BA that our documents via Traveldoc are verified and also got all green in the VeriFly app. Unfortunately the my booking still shows, that we have to upload the documents. If I try it again, I can only get to the page where the document upload has to be done and then the site refreshes to the traveldoc startsite again. Tried it via website, mobile, App, on the work PC...all the same.
Because we could not check in online, we can not choose any seats for our flights. I guess we will have the crappy seats at the back of the flight...hopfully together at least (would buy seats, even is this is BAs fault, but even this ist not possible anymore since the online check-in has opened).
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
This is driving me nuts - I cannot check in online supposedly because of "Covid documents" (which aren't even needed anywhere anymore). I filled out the form and it says it's verified, but it still won't let me check in. So annoying.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:39 am

I did OLCI but want to change my seat afterwards (and check the seat map if a window opens up). I tried to go back to my booking online and on the BA app but there isn't a way to change the seat. Is there a trick to do this or I can't change my seat after OLCI? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by canarywharf2022
I did OLCI but want to change my seat afterwards (and check the seat map if a window opens up). I tried to go back to my booking online and on the BA app but there isn't a way to change the seat. Is there a trick to do this or I can't change my seat after OLCI? Thanks.
Unfortunately unlike with many other airlines, once you have downloaded the boarding pass (or emailed it etc) then you cannot then shift seats. If you check in but don't download the boarding pass (and you have to be careful, one missed option and you'll get it anyway), then yes you can still move seats. This has been around since the very earliest days of OLCI, when BA was one of the first airlines to offer this service but there was considerable resistance to introducing this option, so in the first incarnation you only had one shot at printing the boarding pass, for example. Run out of toner? You would have to go to the check-in desk. And the check-in desk can deal with new seating requests if there is space.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:51 am

Unfortunately unlike with many other airlines, once you have downloaded the boarding pass (or emailed it etc) then you cannot then shift seats. If you check in but don't download the boarding pass (and you have to be careful, one missed option and you'll get it anyway), then yes you can still move seats. This has been around since the very earliest days of OLCI, when BA was one of the first airlines to offer this service but there was considerable resistance to introducing this option, so in the first incarnation you only had one shot at printing the boarding pass, for example. Run out of toner? You would have to go to the check-in desk. And the check-in desk can deal with new seating requests if there is space.
Thanks. Seems I cant cancel the online check-in to revert the status and start all over either.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by canarywharf2022
Thanks. Seems I cant cancel the online check-in to revert the status and start all over either.
Unfortunately that's also the case, and as you implied that is how other airlines work in this space, you can self cancel check-in elsewhere. If you bought a ticket via a travel agent then they are able to reverse the check-in, however.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:37 am

Unfortunately that's also the case, and as you implied that is how other airlines work in this space, you can self cancel check-in elsewhere. If you bought a ticket via a travel agent then they are able to reverse the check-in, however.
Thanks again for the quick reply. I booked direct so I guess I'll try at the check-in counter on the day!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
This is a new one for me. I’m on a BA booked itinerary with the first flight on BA and the next two flights on AA all on prime codes. I can successfully check in for the BA flight and have a boarding pass however for the two AA flights it just says “Not Available” Any ideas why? I can see my seats on the AA app and all legs have a ticket number on the BA app. I’ve also successfully done the covid doc check on BA and the attestation on both BA and AA. Is it just something simple like the doc check not transferring across properly?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
if you load the AA pnr on the AA app you should be able to check in there
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by KARFA
if you load the AA pnr on the AA app you should be able to check in there
Doing that redirects me back to the BA MMB website.

Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My daughter can't check in (OLCI) for tomorrow's SCL-LHR flight - keep's getting:
"Weƒ?Tre sorry, we cannot complete online check-in for your flight on this occasion. Please proceed to the airport with your required documentation (including any vaccination and Covid test certificates that are necessary) to check-in and collect your boarding pass."
Any ideas? All API is added, as is contact info, etc... . Hasn't been asked for any vacination/covid info so far.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Okay.... update: managed to check her in, but of course, just got an assigned seat with no others available - the ones available at T-24 having now been taken. Question then remains, why was OLCI not available at T-24, but seemingly so at T-18?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Very occasionally the flight isn't ready at T-24, for example if there is a late equipment change, in which case just check later. And BA and Amadeus sometimes have IT outages, which normally get resolved in an hour or so.

I'd suspect the latter in this case. I wouldn't print/download the BP yet as there is a possibility of some movement on the flight now that it's under airport control.

See the very 1st post in this thread for other possible ressons.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:02 am
Original Poster

In addition: It may be your cabin is oversold so they are having to shuffle people around to create space. During that period OLCI will typically be blocked. It wouldn't normally be more than a couple of hours though.
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.