Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TobiD87
i see, but did it worked before after Covid?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have found checking in on the aa app for aa flights can sometimes work - but things like codeshares or phase of the moon that day can stop it working.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by bakera
OK. So, Mrs B and I are due to fly home in F on BA52 on 11th August (today/tomorrow, depending on time zone). Same PNR. OLCI will let me check in, but not Mrs B. Surely this cannot be SSSS as we are flying from the US, not to it. MMB is showing our correct seat numbers, but it does look like the aircraft has been switched to a 777-300ER.
Any ideas, or do we have to hope for the best at the airport?
I've had this twice leaving US recently, both times I followed the advice somewhere upthread and went in and resaved my API data and immediately went and did the OCLI and then it worked.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Thanks CWS and sammyg. In the end there didn’t appear to be any issue, no SSSS or anything. We just checked in as normal, although behind the family from hell that held up the First checkin line for over 40 minutes. Surely there should be a limit to the size of the ‘family’ that a gold member can bring to the First checkin when they are not actually flying First. There must of been 8 people in this group, having to repack cases etc. due to being overweight. Almost everyone in Economy had been checked in before the First line moved again.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
The third time…in 3 flights

I don’t know why it keeps happening to me….

Sept 22 - couldn’t do OLCI for EDI-LHR-SFO but no problem for my husband.

JAN 23 - couldn’t do OLCI for LHR-GLA but no problem for my husband.

Tonight I go to OLCI for tomorrow’s flight from MRU-LGW-GLA. My husband gets checked in but not me. My assigned seat from booking is 1A. Is there some GCH who wants 1A? As I have a disability and need my husband next to me - I sincerely hope that the seat has not gone to someone else.

Either way - it’s getting beyond a joke that I cannot check in.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I couldn’t check in for my flight today either, even when BA said it should be good. I had to log out of the app and log back in and it let me.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Flying DBV-LGW tomorrow just tried to online check in, can't, quick Google shows it's an incompatibility thing with FLY.

Fine, it's not a horror show of an airport. But - is there a hack I can at least choose seats just to ensure I'm with my daughter (I know I probably will be etc). No status anymore etc... (Also does CE have lounge access at DBV?!).

TIA.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Flying DBV-LGW tomorrow just tried to online check in, can't, quick Google shows it's an incompatibility thing with FLY.

Fine, it's not a horror show of an airport. But - is there a hack I can at least choose seats just to ensure I'm with my daughter (I know I probably will be etc). No status anymore etc... (Also does CE have lounge access at DBV?!).

TIA.
Yes that's right that DBV isn't on FLY as far as I can tell so it's an airport checkin. Which flight are you on? Get there early enough and I am sure you'll get paired together* and I'm not aware of any 'hack'.

At the moment the first flight back (BA2833) is showing 4 rows of CE and row 1 blocked*, all others bar 1 seat fully occupied. In rows 5, 6 and 7 in economy these seats are blocked so there may be a curtain to go backwards movement there.

The 2nd flight back (BA 2835) has 8 rows of CE (Row 8 blocked) but pairing availability on seats:

*6AC
*7AC
*7DF

I'm not sure about lounge access other than what shows here.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DBV
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes that's right that DBV isn't on FLY as far as I can tell so it's an airport checkin. Which flight are you on? Get there early enough and I am sure you'll get paired together* and I'm not aware of any 'hack'.

At the moment the first flight back (BA2833) is showing 4 rows of CE and row 1 blocked*, all others bar 1 seat fully occupied. In rows 5, 6 and 7 in economy these seats are blocked so there may be a curtain to go backwards movement there.

The 2nd flight back (BA 2835) has 8 rows of CE (Row 8 blocked) but pairing availability on seats:

*6AC
*7AC
*7DF

I'm not sure about lounge access other than what shows here.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=DBV
Ah thank you, yes I'm on BA2835, the later flight. Was just surprised that seats were not allocated (and always get confused what you can and can't do by logging into other Oneworld websites, there always seems to be a hack or 3).

Ok, I'll just hold off until tomorrow, and maybe even hold off on a 'Jet2 Y Vs BA J' comparison thread as they seem all the rage!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Never seen this before. Flying tomorrow DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO. First leg on BA, the rest are on AA. Trying to check in via BA app. For the AA legs, I have to enter my DoB twice: once for each segment. It accepts my DoB for LHR-JFK but doesn’t accept it for the transcon. It’s definitely the same date and I’m pretty certain of when I was born. Not too stressed as I assume I’ll be able to check in via AA app at T-24. Any ideas?

Last edited by RichieMc; Nov 13, 2023 at 2:29 am
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Never seen this before. Flying tomorrow DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO. First leg on BA, the rest are on AA. Trying to check in via BA app. For the AA legs, I have to enter my DoB twice: once for each segment. It accepts my DoB for LHR-JFK but doesn’t accept it for the transcon. It’s definitely the same date and I’m pretty certain of when I was born. Not too stressed as I assume I’ll be able to check in via AA app at T-24. Any ideas?
Well I figured it out. For some reason I was unable to input a US address into either the app or BA.com. I mean the fields weren’t even there. I had put all the info in the AA app but made no difference. Got it sorted in CCR this afternoon where agent just input all the required info. Not sure if somehow related or just a weird coincidence, but my BAEC number had disappeared from the AA sectors. Noticed when I got blue BPs on my phone. Input it like 3 times and it just wouldn’t stick. So used in app chat and it was sorted in a few minutes.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:53 pm

APIS asks for my address in USA, although I indicated that I am a US citizen.

My understanding is that US citizens are not required to prove address for flights to the US, but there is no way to skip it in BA passenger form.

Is it OK to enter some fake address or hotel where I do not plan to stay?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by AntonS
APIS asks for my address in USA, although I indicated that I am a US citizen.

My understanding is that US citizens are not required to prove address for flights to the US, but there is no way to skip it in BA passenger form.

Is it OK to enter some fake address or hotel where I do not plan to stay?
Why would you want to enter a fake address? Leaving that aside, I think the address requirement is actually for CDC contact tracing as opposed to APIS.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Why would you want to enter a fake address? Leaving that aside, I think the address requirement is actually for CDC contact tracing as opposed to APIS.
I am just cautious about providing personal information to US government, especially when it’s not required. I think CDC requirement is long gone? I do not remember Air France asking me for USA address a couple months ago during check in.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Geordie405
It's not a CDC thing. It's collected by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) which is part of the Department of Homeland Security. It's used to identify high-risk travelers.

I am just cautious about providing personal information to US government, especially when it’s not required. I think CDC requirement is long gone? I do not remember Air France asking me for USA address a couple months ago during check in.
You're right that it's not required for US Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents but the BA system doesn't handle the logic well. It should ask for status first and then decide whether to ask for address details. We have the same problem in that we live in the USA as Legal Permanent Residents but I've not found a way around the BA systems without entering our home address each time. However, when dealing with the CBP I sleep easier knowing that I've put in accurate information rather than submitting something fake. This is partly because I have a poor memory and if questioned I probably wouldn't be able to repeat what I'd written.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is this fairly new middle slice process that came in just before the CDC requirement ended, just as the booking goes on to FLY, solving several problems that BA had for many months during the pandemic. There is still an aspect of this, which is about confirming visa number and address for non residents. So it's inelegant and poorly designed - the Green Card and non ESTA visas were bolted on later and it doesn't work well. But in terms of being concerned what the US government holds on you, well there is a big slug of data that goes across to the DHS on each and every booking, and I think you can assume that if the US government wants to know your address they can easily look it up. So I wouldn't waste your energy on maintaining a stance which is essentially meretricious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.