Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: sans status now :(
Can't Check in Online at T-24 and Cabin Appears Overbooked

Hello-

Flying BOS-LHR tomorrow on morning flight and at exactly T-24 I was unable to check in. After 25 minutes on phone with Silver helpline they were unable to assign me a seat either. Only 2 seats available in CW and both are on hold, only airport staff can release. When I make a dummy booking CW cabin is full for this flight.

It is the first time I haven't paid to book seats in advance (last 2 times they moved me anyway due to faulty seats and no reimbursement). Was hoping to snag by being first in line at OLCI. There were a number still showing available last night.

Does this mean they are likely to bump me off flight? I booked tickets last Sept. so and have someone waiting on me in London so not interested in a later flight,

Thoughts? Does getting to the airport even earlier than normal help with this? Anything else to try?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This may simply be that they haven't done some pre-processing and that in a few hours OLCI will open fully for you. There have been some aircraft shuffling going on that route today for aircraft leaving LHR, so I don't know if that is having an impact tomorrow from BOS. Just try again in a few hours. Check also that you have a ticket number in the BA App. Normally turning up early doesn't hugely help here. It does look like a busy flight, but there is space in First so someone may be upgraded out of CW.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:22 am
formerly JackDann

Just went to check-in for my flight to Singapore (2 of us travelling) partner got boarding passes and I got a message about my travel document not being valid for travel. I had just updated my info online to my new passport details - however it still wasn't happy.

I'm checked-in and have got a fresh new passport - so pretty sure there is nothing to worry about here and will chalk it down as another BA glitch.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This may simply be that they haven't done some pre-processing and that in a few hours OLCI will open fully for you. There have been some aircraft shuffling going on that route today for aircraft leaving LHR, so I don't know if that is having an impact tomorrow from BOS. Just try again in a few hours. Check also that you have a ticket number in the BA App. Normally turning up early doesn't hugely help here. It does look like a busy flight, but there is space in First so someone may be upgraded out of CW.
Thank you for this information. Very helpful and calming. Will wait and see what happens!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JD1905
Just went to check-in for my flight to Singapore (2 of us travelling) partner got boarding passes and I got a message about my travel document not being valid for travel. I had just updated my info online to my new passport details - however it still wasn't happy.

I'm checked-in and have got a fresh new passport - so pretty sure there is nothing to worry about here and will chalk it down as another BA glitch.
I think that is a well known glitch when you had your old passport in there when booking. Updating to the new details doesn't seem to unlock the system but you'll be fine at airport
JD1905 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:10 am

Well---it appears they have cancelled the flight. Was to leave at 7:30am Boston--Heathrow and now leaving 21:00.

This is...beyond inconvenient. And it would have been nice to know before I set my alarm for 3am!

I guess that sometimes not being able to check in IS a bad sign!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suspect they are unrelated, since the issue with the BOS service was due to a technical issue then compounded by a staffing / hours issue, and that usually all happens separately from OLCI. Nevetheless it's indeed a poor start to your day, however you could perhaps use these extra hours to refresh your memory of the EC261 thread, which may give you some comfort.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:23 pm

Would BA bump me twice in a row?

Hello!

My wife and I are due to fly CW to LHR - MRU in less than 24 hours and we're getting the "please check in at the airport" message. Thing is, we're already well acquainted with this message as less than 2 weeks ago we were both put on standby on a flight from Milan back to LHR. In the end I was denied boarding and was put on the next flight. I'm still waiting on an acknowledgement from their compensation team so I'm not sure if BA are truly "aware" of what they did yet. Would they really subject us to this twice in a row if they knew that was what they were doing? Or are we maybe just particularly "bumpable"? I'm wondering if it's worth hammering the phone lines to see if they'll give me more information or not...

Thanks for any advice 😅
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

I'm a bit confused by this one, is it LHR or LGW? Or is it NBO and transferring? It would also be helpful to have the flight number. Do you have a 125 number showing in the App?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:42 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

I'm a bit confused by this one, is it LHR or LGW? Or is it NBO and transferring? It would also be helpful to have the flight number. Do you have a 125 number showing in the App?
Sorry! Wrote that in a pit of a panic. It is from LGW, yes, got mixed up with the last flight. It's BA2065 and I've got a 125 number showing. None of the questions in the first post apply to us unfortunately 😞

It appears to still be possible to buy seats in that cabin for this flight, does that mean anything though?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jboud
Sorry! Wrote that in a pit of a panic. It is from LGW, yes, got mixed up with the last flight. It's BA2065 and I've got a 125 number showing. None of the questions in the first post apply to us unfortunately 😞

It appears to still be possible to buy seats in that cabin for this flight, does that mean anything though?
I'm getting the same thing for a flight departing LGW tomorrow (to GVA). No apparent reason for it. Maybe it's an IT issue.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jboud

It does not appear to be sold out though some people may get upgraded from WTP. Did you have reserved seats? It may be the move to Club Suites has changed your configuration. Without going through a lot of detail with you in terms of bookings and passports and any connecting flights, I don't seen an alarm bell here, so just get yourself to LGW in good time tomorrow.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Seems to be a wider IT issue. I, and others, have reported this on the glitches thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36058219-post1361.html
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:41 pm

It does not appear to be sold out though some people may get upgraded from WTP. Did you have reserved seats? It may be the move to Club Suites has changed your configuration. Without going through a lot of detail with you in terms of bookings and passports and any connecting flights, I don't seen an alarm bell here, so just get yourself to LGW in good time tomorrow.
Thanks so much! That's given both of us some much needed peace of mind. Other than this being part of a holidays booking there really isn't anything that stands out. This is our first time (trying) to fly anything other than economy so we're really hoping it works out 🤞
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Hi, first an apology for failing to find a more relevant thread to put this question in:

MAD-LHR-SFO in a few hours (3/7), on BA 125 ticket.
MAD-LHR operated by IB.
Had earlier chosen a bulkhead aisle seat (15J) but prefer a window, I see 15A is "X" on EF.
If I try to OLCI (to try to grab 15A) it takes me to IB (as first segment is on IB).
On the IB app seat selection screen I have selected a seat for MAD-LHR but it won't display my already chosen seat for LHR-SFO.
If I proceed with OLCI, through IB, I'm worried something will go wrong and I might lose my 15J (15A>15J>any other seat).
Am I being overly cautious?
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.