Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
My understanding is that AQQ stands for APIS Quick Query so it sounds like there's something in your Advance Passenger Information that's causing the problem.
Thanks for that. Everything in my APIS seems fine. It even has my KTN which the agent removed to see if it made any difference, which it didn’t.

I’ll see what the AA agent says when I get to JFK.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Unable to check in yesterday.

We had upgraded outbound cabin via BAH after the original booking was made.

Was told at first checkin LGW (as expected) booking had not been confirmed. Details taken and they took 30mins to sort whilst we waited.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It looks like the upgrade was never ticketed unfortunately.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It looks like the upgrade was never ticketed unfortunately.
Expected as much - easily sorted out but 30mins less champagne guzzling 😂

We left home early in anticipation.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Continuing my little quest for answers…

I spoke to an AA agent at JFK premium check-in who looked up my reservation and said that there’s nothing special in it and that the flag is set as default by CBP for everyone who flies into the US internationally as CBP want the connecting airline to check the passenger one more time.

The agent also said that the flag only gets cleared once the passenger passes through border patrol, hence why it then only takes them seconds to issue the boarding pass.

However, the agent then went on to say that if I flew into the US on AA and was connecting onto another AA flight then AA would have been able to clear the flag and issue all boarding passes. So slightly contracting the earlier point about clearing border patrol.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Just had this. Flight booked last month, 3 UK passengers (same family) with UK passports, all in BAEC with passport details on system, on a BA holiday flying on BA metal from LHR to GIB.

2 passengers could get a boarding card, one could not. No issues at the airport (other than it was an unnecessary queue as we all had carry on). Just checked in for the return - same problem. Passport obviously checked only a few days ago now. The IT is poor (half the time it can't even show upcoming bookings in your BAEC account).
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:35 am

Just went to try and OLCI for a BAH flight to the US. As it's US I need to Verify My Contact Details before it will let me through any further. 2 people on the booking, other person is fine, but when I try to go into the details to confirm them its asking for my DOB. I'm putting it in right but it's saying it's not. I've checked the APIS for the booking and it's correct, as is my DOB in my exec club. At a loss here

Edit: Solved - phoned up and the booking I made over the phone had the wrong month in my DOB attached to it, despite APIS etc all being correct it wouldn't pull through from there.

Last edited by BehindTheRadar; Jun 11, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Can only check in for first leg TLV-LHR-JFK at T-24

Have a flight tomorrow from TLV-LHR-JFK with 10 layover in London (by choice). Was able to complete OLCI for TLV-LHR at T-24 of the first leg. While it gives me the option to try to check in for the second leg as well after i provide contact details, it fails with an error when i try. Have a US passport and global entry in the reservation.
Will the second leg let me do OLCI at T-24 for that flight as well?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nombody
Will the second leg let me do OLCI at T-24 for that flight as well?
Normally you can check-in for the USA section at T-24 for TLV, so typically 30 plus hours from the LHR departure time. But of late it seems that BA are running late with some of the check-in set up processes for flights. It's not at all clear to users that this is the problem - namely that the flight just isn't ready for check-in - since the user just gets a "you need to check in at the airport" message rather than "we're not ready yet". Typically you are asked to enter your date of birth and perhaps passport / visa / Green Card number, it looks ok but instead of going to the seat confirmation screen it falls over with the airport check-in message. In this specific scenario then yes checking it at T-24 relative to the actual flight departure time should work, occasionally a bit before or after. But there seems to be some sort of manual process here, which either wasn't there before, or was done methodically well before USA/Canada flights opened, and is now backlogged in some way.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 5:58 am

Sorry we can't check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk.

Hello, I am flying from London back to Canada via the US tomorrow afternoon and have just tried to Online Check In. It first asked me to verify my contact details, then asked how many bags I have, if there's any dangerous goods, to confirm my seat selection, and all the usual stuff.

When I finished this process though it comes up with an error: Sorry we can't check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk.

Now If I try to go through the process again, it straightaway says the above message without any option to change any of the previous answers.

I called BA and the person wouldn't even take my booking reference to check anything they just said if it says to go to the airport that's what you need to do.

I'm worried I might have entered some details wrong or accidentally pressed that I have dangerous goods? Should I just try to get to the airport really early tomorrow in case there are issues?

On the main screen of the app my seat is now shown blank (or as "--") but I can get into the web version it shows my selected seat still.

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:02 am

So as long as you have a ticket you should be ok - and it sounds like you do but it is easily checked by looking on the app at the bottom and seeing whether there is a ticket number.

It may just be you have been randomly selected from extra security at the gate for the US flight, the dreaded SSSS. In which case bp can only be issued at the airport.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:06 am

Yes it does have a ticket number shown at the bottom. So I guess it is the extra security screening for the US flight then? Is that a full pat down and body search then or something less intrusive like the explosive checks you can sometimes be randomly selected for at normal security?

Or is the US one where they ask to see what's on your laptops and phones?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by CJ91
Yes it does have a ticket number shown at the bottom. So I guess it is the extra security screening for the US flight then? Is that a full pat down and body search then or something less intrusive like the explosive checks you can sometimes be randomly selected for at normal security?
sounds like that it may be SSSS, but of course may just be the usual BA issues.

SSSS is a pat down, rummage in your bag possibly with a swab, and maybe a question or two. usually no more than a few minutes in total. happens at the gate just before you go down the jetbridge. usually a few people are selected per US bound flight.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by CJ91
Hello, I am flying from London back to Canada via the US tomorrow afternoon and have just tried to Online Check In. It first asked me to verify my contact details, then asked how many bags I have, if there's any dangerous goods, to confirm my seat selection, and all the usual stuff.

When I finished this process though it comes up with an error: Sorry we can't check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk.

Now If I try to go through the process again, it straightaway says the above message without any option to change any of the previous answers.

I called BA and the person wouldn't even take my booking reference to check anything they just said if it says to go to the airport that's what you need to do.

I'm worried I might have entered some details wrong or accidentally pressed that I have dangerous goods? Should I just try to get to the airport really early tomorrow in case there are issues?

On the main screen of the app my seat is now shown blank (or as "--") but I can get into the web version it shows my selected seat still.

Thanks
Originally Posted by KARFA
So as long as you have a ticket you should be ok - and it sounds like you do but it is easily checked by looking on the app at the bottom and seeing whether there is a ticket number.

It may just be you have been randomly selected from extra security at the gate for the US flight, the dreaded SSSS. In which case bp can only be issued at the airport.
A similar thing happened to my girlfriend two weeks ago, albeit on an AA operated flight after BA canceled its flight, so she had to check in with AA at T3. She was going to try to check in at a kiosk, but apparently AA doesn’t allow that?!?! In any event, she waited in the queue and was able to check in without any problem. No issue. No added security. She simply handed her passport to the agent and was issued her boarding passes. So if you’re flying on BA, I would try a kiosk, and if that doesn’t work get in the queue, but I would not anticipate any problem.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:21 am

Thank you, that's reassuring, hopefully it is just a bug in the online system. I'll try to get there early, it's a BA flight from Heathrow T5.
The annoying part is I can't change my seat now because to change the seat you need to check-in and it won't let me through to those screens now.. On prior BA trips I could keep changing my seat until I pressed to get the boarding pass, and sometimes found a much better seat if I kept checking every few hours. But this time I am blocked from doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.