Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just an update: upgrade offer still there as we were checking in - then were told we had been upgraded :-) No worries... .

(Annoying the OWE/First check in at IAD now has a big EgyptAir sign above it - no doubt to trap the unwary (supposedly used by them in the morning); checkin agent didn't add TSA-Pre - and insisted that it would be okay - of course it wasn't....)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
OLCI on App keeps looping around 1/6 & 2/6... says it needs more API but then says it's complete and returns me to the OLCI screen... repeat ad infinitum...

...same using the web site....

Last edited by CKBA; Oct 19, 2019 at 8:22 am
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I am currently trying to check in for BA18 (ICN to LHR) on a 241 Avios Redemption. On the OLCI screen it is allowing me to check my partner in however it is showing "check-in unavailable - why?" next to my name, saying...

"Information

Sorry, we are unable to offer you online check-in for this flight.
To check in and receive your boarding pass, please proceed to an airport check-in desk."

Any idea why this would be the case? Given I am in business on a 3 class 787 it cannot be for an upgrade, is it likely I am getting downgraded / bumped off this flight?

Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm getting a similar message trying to check in for a flight to Berlin tomorrow. I've never had this before.

Information

Sorry, we are unable to offer you online check-in for this flight.
Please try again later or check in at the airport.

Update: I spoke to the Gold Line, as I was concerned that the flight might be cancelled or overbooked and, unusually for me, I really have to be on that flight and can't take a much earlier or later one. After some investigation they said that the airport had disabled online check-in and didn't know why. I tried again a couple of hours later and was then able to check in. (This might help/reassure others who find this thread in future).

Last edited by Misco60; Oct 26, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: Update
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA silver
I got the same but went to the app which had me down as checked in.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I got a can't print boarding pass message for BA295 tomorrow. Status reads as checked-in, I was also able to print a boarding pass for my second (AA) flight on the booking.

Is the most likely reason SSSS?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by hahaandy1
I got a can't print boarding pass message for BA295 tomorrow. Status reads as checked-in, I was also able to print a boarding pass for my second (AA) flight on the booking.

Is the most likely reason SSSS?
Unfortunately it may be SSSS - when I flew to PHL this week I could not check-in online. When I did check in at the airport my boarding pass had SSSS. However, I must say that the additional security at the gate took only a couple of mins. First time I have had SSSS for over a year and the security check seems much faster now.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
My flights tomorrow are starting with a BA coded, IB metal flight first followed by BA metal BA coded flight followed by BA codes, MH metal flights. I have checked in for the first flight, I seem to be unable to check in for the BA flight (LHR-KUL) or the MH flight (however I have not tried on the MH website for that flight yet), the BA website forwards me to the IB website and the IB website says "Your itinerary contains an airport that does not permit online check-in. Please check in at the airport to obtain your boarding pass."

Should I just not worry until I get to LHR tomorrow for my positioning flight?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Should I just not worry until I get to LHR tomorrow for my positioning flight?
Assuming you have done the other checks in this thread, notably on passports (more than 6 month validity) and API, then it's probably just due to the fact that BA hasn't got a flag from Iberia that you are checked in for the first flight. This may come later. You could call to double check, but an itinerary of this sort wouldn't normally flow as smoothly as prime booked trips.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming you have done the other checks in this thread, notably on passports (more than 6 month validity) and API, then it's probably just due to the fact that BA hasn't got a flag from Iberia that you are checked in for the first flight. This may come later. You could call to double check, but an itinerary of this sort wouldn't normally flow as smoothly as prime booked trips.
Have checked everything else and cannot see any issues, both of our passportd are valid for a number of years still to come. Thanks c-w-s.

I have managed to check in for the MH metal BA coded flight now, so only the BA coded, BA metal flight left to sort.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:04 am

Long time reader - first post

My son, his wife and two children are due to fly LHR- GLA this evening on BA1478
Online Checkin will allow his wife and the children to check in but not my son - despite the fact they are all on the same booking ( an Avios redemption)
We have checked ticket numbers apppear ok, and seats are preallocated as my son and his wife are deaf. They have flown this route many times before and have never had this issue.

Any suggestions as to why the system won’t allow him to check in? Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Esme
Long time reader - first post

My son, his wife and two children are due to fly LHR- GLA this evening on BA1478
Online Checkin will allow his wife and the children to check in but not my son - despite the fact they are all on the same booking ( an Avios redemption)
We have checked ticket numbers apppear ok, and seats are preallocated as my son and his wife are deaf. They have flown this route many times before and have never had this issue.

Any suggestions as to why the system won’t allow him to check in? Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance
Hi Esme,

I am so sorry that I did not see this post sooner. I hope that there were no issues on the day istself. The only thing that I can suggest is that it was SSSS stopping him from being able to. It would bge great if you could report back anyhow.

Welcome to Flyertalk and especially the BA sub-forum. I hope that you are able to be on here more often and can both benefit and bring to the community here.

EDIT: Ignore refernce to SSSS, for some reason I thought that the flight was to the USA, not to GLA.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Jan 3, 2020 at 5:32 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:18 am

Thank you for replying!

Fortunately there were no problems on the day - my son got the impression they were just checking if assistance was required as he had noted on the booking that he was Deaf.

As I mentioned in my first post, this had never happened before, and it did not happen on the return leg either - he was able to check in online with no issues.

So so it’s a bit of a mystery why it happened this time.

What is SSSS?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Esme
Thank you for replying!

Fortunately there were no problems on the day - my son got the impression they were just checking if assistance was required as he had noted on the booking that he was Deaf.

As I mentioned in my first post, this had never happened before, and it did not happen on the return leg either - he was able to check in online with no issues.

So so it’s a bit of a mystery why it happened this time.

What is SSSS?

Thanks in advance
My sincere apoliogioes, I read GLA as something different! SSSS is only for USA destinations/departures (not sure how I got GLA confused with the USA).

Nice to see that BA are checking if he wanted assistance (iuf it is as he suspected), although I am sure it would have been better ahd he been able to check in and then been asked if he wanetd assistance.

SSSS is Secondary Security Screening Selection and is an additional screening that one can "randomly" be selected for.

This thread has the details from a BAEC FlyerTalk point of view: SSSS - Experiences?

Wikipedia gives a breif outline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...ning_Selection

I have only experienced it once on a LGW-JFK and it was very breif opening of my hand luggage and checking my passport.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver, AF gold
Just for info really - tried to OLCI for LHR to ICN tomorrow and told that OLCI was not available and to check in at the airport. I've had this in the past and was told it was due to a problem with APIS. So, I re-entered all my APIS information (passport number, expiry, etc) and was then able to OLCI.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Cheers

D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.