Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by enzian
Or maybe because the flight was oversold. Sign at check-in said they were offering $800 to people willing to be re-booked on tomorrow’s flight. Apparently Economy pax got this offer in an email. But that wouldn’t apply to Club World, would it? I can’t imagine they would overbook business class.
I would presume it was because the flight was oversold that led to OLCI problems. Though it may have been WT which was most oversold, in a way that's irrelevant, since at check-in stage what matters is finding an empty seat, hence the frequent WT -> WTP -> CW cascade of upgrades. So anyone prepared to delay would have helped resolve the issue - it's an extra seat, an extra passenger who can be accommodated. Usually having status and a reserved seat will assist you getting boarding passes but if BA was unsure just how overbooked they were, and in particular if there was a lot of on-carriage (connecting) bookings which they may not have full visibility (e.g. AA bookings) then they would need a large percentage of people to pass by the check-in desk to work out what to do.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by enzian
But that wouldn’t apply to Club World, would it? I can’t imagine they would overbook business class.
They absolutely would.

I wouldn't be surprised if CW is the cabin where it's most important for BA (or any comparable airline) to get it right. It's the big profit engine. If the airline takes too cautious an approach and routinely flies the CW cabin with (say) a 5% lower load factor than it could, that's a lot of lost revenue for each flight: many of the passengers who simply fail to show up for the flight do so in the knowledge that they're still entitled to rebook themselves onto another flight afterwards. But if the airline is too bullish and doesn't have a ready internal safety valve (as the big US airlines often have on domestic routings), that could result in a lot of spillage.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would presume it was because the flight was oversold that led to OLCI problems. ... Usually having status and a reserved seat will assist you getting boarding passes but if BA was unsure just how overbooked they were, and in particular if there was a lot of on-carriage (connecting) bookings which they may not have full visibility (e.g. AA bookings) then they would need a large percentage of people to pass by the check-in desk to work out what to do.
Even being Gold and having an allocated seat doesn't necessarily work. I've lost count of the number of times I've been unable to OLCI for flights from HKG, particularly when I can see that the flight is pretty heavily booked. I've largely given up caring. Last time, I even ended up with a surprising high sequence number (474).
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by thejohn
Mmm... maybe but my last 2 entries into the USA have been smooth without any real questioning other than reason for my visit. And that was January and May this year. perhaps my next Y trip I should forgo an exit seat. But ant the moment I only have F, CW, CE, trips booked so far this year but I do have to book a trip to DXB for November\ December traveling with and that will probably be in Y.
John
I have no problems getting onto the US

And while in my case its a US passport reported lost I suspect similar would happen if a passport with the same number from any country was flagged up
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver, AF gold
Hi all - trying to OLCI for LHR to ICN tomorrow. Can't check in on app or BA.com. Says to check in at the airport. Ticket number on app starts 125... Seat 11K in WTP. Should I call BA? Any advice gratefully received as always.

Cheers
Dougstar

Last edited by Dougstar; Jun 23, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dougstar
Hi all - trying to OLCI for LHR to ICN tomorrow. Can't check in on app or BA.com. Says to check in at the airport. Ticket number on app starts 125... Seat 11K in WTP. Should I call BA? Any advice gratefully received as always.

Cheers
Dougstar
I shouldn't really discourage people from ringing in but my feeling is that it won't do much good. WTP is full, CW and WT almost full, however WT is being rolled forward to WTP, WTP to CW. No First or Flub possibilities. I'm hoping they will find you a seat a bit further forward, given that you are a valued Silver customer, but you can't count on it. I would get to the airport in good time, and perhaps consider if you would be prepared to go on alternative services if offered. But CW looks the most likely option from what I can see at the moment. By all means try OLCI every few hours just in case.
Dougstar likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:22 am

Thanks, CWS. Will keep checking. Company provide a car to LHR which always gets me there about 3 hours ahead of departure so good chance. Cheers

D*
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:59 am

Hmm - so now on the way to the airport. Still not been able to OLCI. Outbound and return have now disappeared from the ba app altogether. Should I be worried!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:09 am

Just to close this one as a data point - checked in OK at the airport once they had sorted missing passport information. No idea why as all info was on the booking. No upgrade,, CWS, so 11 hours in WTP. All OK in the end though. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Dougstar
Just to close this one as a data point - checked in OK at the airport once they had sorted missing passport information. No idea why as all info was on the booking. No upgrade,, CWS, so 11 hours in WTP. All OK in the end though. Thanks!
I had exactly the same situation last Friday, and was given the same reasoning at Check-In. My passport had failed a check, so I couldn't do OLCI.

As it happens, I was upgraded, but that only happened once I was in the lounge.

M
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:18 am
lsi

Currently unable to check in myself and a companion online on LCY - PRG tomorrow. All information is provided and no changes have been made to the booking. Anyone else having similar issues?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold
I had an issue with RUH-LHR-SAN last weekend. I checked in for the first leg fine, but the mobile app said I needed to enter my passport information for the flight to the US. Every time I clicked to verify/enter the info, it told me it was already entered.

I then used my laptop to go to the full site, and it showed me that I needed to re-enter the details, and then I could check in.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsi
Currently unable to check in myself and a companion online on LCY - PRG tomorrow. All information is provided and no changes have been made to the booking. Anyone else having similar issues?
All I can think of here is that I know there is a huge backlog of passengers for Prague at the moment - some people have spent 3 nights in a hotel so far and worked their way through 4 abortive bookings. So if you haven't been able to check-in - and you have a ticket number showing on the BA App - is to be at the airport in good time. In the case of LCY that means 60 minutes before departure rather than the advertised 20 minutes cut off. Existing bookings are prioritised over displaced passengers but it may be they are having to reconfigure or change aircraft around.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:53 pm
lsi

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
All I can think of here is that I know there is a huge backlog of passengers for Prague at the moment - some people have spent 3 nights in a hotel so far and worked their way through 4 abortive bookings. So if you haven't been able to check-in - and you have a ticket number showing on the BA App - is to be at the airport in good time. In the case of LCY that means 60 minutes before departure rather than the advertised 20 minutes cut off. Existing bookings are prioritised over displaced passengers but it may be they are having to reconfigure or change aircraft around.
Thanks so much, we shall endeavor to arrive early. No harm in starting a city break with a few extra glasses of wine at LCY anyhow!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:00 am

Hi

Travelling with an infant tomorrow. I have checked in online but can't get boarding cards for any of us as it says "Passport and/or visa must be checked at the airport". Obviously there are no visa requirements for UK citizens so is it just as we are travelling with our infant?

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by londonclubguy
Hi

Travelling with an infant tomorrow. I have checked in online but can't get boarding cards for any of us as it says "Passport and/or visa must be checked at the airport". Obviously there are no visa requirements for UK citizens so is it just as we are travelling with our infant?

Thanks
The route may be helpful to figure out the issue in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.