Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
I couldn't OLCI yesterday for my Stockholm flight this morning. It was booked several months ago via Avios using a (then shortly to expire) Lloyds voucher. This is actually positioning for an Ex-EU/TP friendly USA flight from Heathrow tomorrow, obviously ticketed separately. Checked in this morning seemingly without issue, although I did notice she swiped my passport 4 times. Asked if she was aware why I couldn't OLCI, she said it was the onward flights. I couldn't be bothered to explore further, but seemed odd that a second ticket ARN-HEL-LHR would stop a separate LHR-ARN having OLCI.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if flying from OLB allows online check-in? It won't let me. It says check-in at the airport.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:06 am

I’m trying to check in for our LAX-LHR flights but am getting the message that I’m unable to check in and must do so at the airport.

Ive checked that the flight has a ticket number and I haven’t made any changes at all to the booking since it was made.

This is the return leg and I could check in fine for the outbound, although I couldn’t print one of the boarding passes as it had been selected for extra screening. A bonus on that flight was that we were upgraded from wt to wtp at the gate.

I had selected my seats for this flight a week ago and I can still see the seat numbers but there is now no option to change them, it says seat selected and next to that it now says seat choice available.

The flights were booked direct with ba as a package with multiple hotel and car bookings.

Any ideas why check in isn’t available?

i think the flight is full if that makes any difference? BA0268 1/9/18
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I am guessing you are also in WT for the return too. Looking at the A380 service, it does look quite full, but only in the sense that some people will have to be upgraded to get everyone on board. It is zero'd out but only First looks full selected for seating. You seem to have done all the checks necessary, plus it is the return leg anyway, so I don't think you have a problem with the ticket. If you have the BA App, does the seat number on View More Flight Details" accord with your pre-selected seats? But otherwise I would turn up a few minutes earlier than normal, but not many minutes, I don't think you need to have particular concern here. I would check again in a few hours too.

There does appear to be one difference for out-stations versus LHR/LGW for upgrades - in London they seem to be OK to get people to check-in and then just reprint boarding passes at the gate, so the shuffling takes places under the bonnet. At some out stations they can at least show upgrades are going to happen on the App but the boarding pass may not be printable. Now I don't want to give you any hope that you are going to get an upgrade, it may be they end up shuffling some other passengers around you instead. They also cancelled another service, run by a 787 so they may well be trying to work out how to get everyone onboard. The earlier 747 isn't totally full but that is so many hours before your flight that I am not advocating you go to the airport early, and ringing up is unlikely to do any good, all seating changes are being done at LAX.

Welcome to Flyertalk Emma Heady, welcome to the BA board and I hope you will continue to be active in this forum. And I hope you had a good trip to California.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:38 am

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes we’re in wt and the seats numbers shown are still the ones I’d selected.

We’ll be getting to LAX hopefully a good 3 hours before the flight so will just have to see what happens at check in.

I’ll update incase it helps anyone else in the future.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Hmm, can't checkin at T-24 to include 2nd segment single pnr booking, HKG-LHR-AMS just now. HKG-LHR departs 11th, and LHR-AMS departs 12th

Affects all overnight flights departing Asia
Affects all ex-Asia overnighters ? I know during inbound transfer at T3/T5, BA Airline staff at first desks in transfer funnel exist to give you BP before the optional (not necessary this time around) continue to passport control/immigration if next leg is UK-Domestic. Guess I forgot about this due to MH bargain flights I have been taking more recently, and as QR bypass UK via DOH for eg Asia-AMS, reminda to self noted.

Thinks the following listed above in this very thread applies here, except I did no deselection, as OLCI only presents first segment fror checkin
12) Is your second flight on the next calendar day?
There is a well known bug where if your connecting flight is on a different calendar day to the the first flight you may need to check in for the first flight only to begin with, by deselecting the second flight from the options, get the boarding pass and then check again for the second flight. If you try to do both flights together it will fall over.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just a quick one as this tale has a good conclusion, but I just wondered a couple of things for the next time
  1. I initially booked EDI-LHR-BWI / IAD-LHR-EDI, but within 24 hours changed the final leg to GLA. The ticket was booked in mid-Aug, and I travelled in mid-Sept.
  2. I checked in for IAD-LHR bang on 24 hours and had assumed that the reason I could not also check in for GLA was that it was >24h
  3. I forgot to deal with it in the IAD lounge….you can see where this is going!
  4. I had a connection of 1h25 and we landed late. Wheels down I fired up my phone again and this was when I remembered I had not checked in for GLA, tried to do this on the app and could not, and then realised the reason - the change had not been reticketed, the LHR-GLA app MMB had no ticket number.
  5. We arrived at B gates, in 52J on a 747 I was almost the last out and I reckon I had about 1 hour to go by the time I set foot on the airbridge. Luckily a transit departed 10 seconds after I got on it.
  6. At this point I did not know what the best option was and it is this I would like some advice on for next time.
  7. I figured that as I had no onward boarding pass that flight connections might not work very well (it was also busy at 7.30ish am), and so I went through the border and landside, back up to departures, and headed to a ticketing assistance desk. They sorted me out in about 5 minutes, by which time I had 4 minutes before conformance kicked in. I made it, and then of course it was bus gate 4. I boarded the plane a sweaty mess.
Any number of small delays could have stuffed me up – a wait for a transit or a lift, a longer queue at the border (my chip is bust so I can’t do egates), a customs search, a busy departures area. What could I have done differently airside? Is there a ticketing desk or assistance desk that could have helped? As I live in London I rarely do flight connections at LHR, which is probably why I thought that my safest option was to take the route that I knew. But I very nearly blew it and it was all a bit stressful, especially after my lovely and very comfortable long sleep in Y. Of course all of this could/should have been avoidable had I checked that the change had been reticketed before I travelled, but then again half of me says that this should not be the passenger’s issue and this is the airline’s fault – a point I was fully prepared to bring up if I had missed my connection. I’ve just read the guide upthread, but this particular scenario seems not to be expressly covered, ie failing to deal with issues 1 or 2 and arriving at LHR without an onward boarding card due to ticketing issues. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A week or so ago I had a repeat of the "Blank Boarding Pass" issue at OLCI.

Fortunately I remembered the work-around I'd discovered in the past. Just go back one page, and e-mail the supposedly blank BP to yourself: the BP will magically appear!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by snuffi
Just a quick one as this tale has a good conclusion, but I just wondered a couple of things for the next time
  1. I initially booked EDI-LHR-BWI / IAD-LHR-EDI, but within 24 hours changed the final leg to GLA. The ticket was booked in mid-Aug, and I travelled in mid-Sept.
  2. I checked in for IAD-LHR bang on 24 hours and had assumed that the reason I could not also check in for GLA was that it was >24h
  3. I forgot to deal with it in the IAD lounge….you can see where this is going!
  4. I had a connection of 1h25 and we landed late. Wheels down I fired up my phone again and this was when I remembered I had not checked in for GLA, tried to do this on the app and could not, and then realised the reason - the change had not been reticketed, the LHR-GLA app MMB had no ticket number.
  5. We arrived at B gates, in 52J on a 747 I was almost the last out and I reckon I had about 1 hour to go by the time I set foot on the airbridge. Luckily a transit departed 10 seconds after I got on it.
  6. At this point I did not know what the best option was and it is this I would like some advice on for next time.
  7. I figured that as I had no onward boarding pass that flight connections might not work very well (it was also busy at 7.30ish am), and so I went through the border and landside, back up to departures, and headed to a ticketing assistance desk. They sorted me out in about 5 minutes, by which time I had 4 minutes before conformance kicked in. I made it, and then of course it was bus gate 4. I boarded the plane a sweaty mess.
Any number of small delays could have stuffed me up – a wait for a transit or a lift, a longer queue at the border (my chip is bust so I can’t do egates), a customs search, a busy departures area. What could I have done differently airside? Is there a ticketing desk or assistance desk that could have helped? As I live in London I rarely do flight connections at LHR, which is probably why I thought that my safest option was to take the route that I knew. But I very nearly blew it and it was all a bit stressful, especially after my lovely and very comfortable long sleep in Y. Of course all of this could/should have been avoidable had I checked that the change had been reticketed before I travelled, but then again half of me says that this should not be the passenger’s issue and this is the airline’s fault – a point I was fully prepared to bring up if I had missed my connection. I’ve just read the guide upthread, but this particular scenario seems not to be expressly covered, ie failing to deal with issues 1 or 2 and arriving at LHR without an onward boarding card due to ticketing issues. Any thoughts?
There was a late twist to the tale. After a day at work i also found I could not check in to my GLA-LCY this evening, which was in fact a separate one way PNR. At the airport this was looked into and the agent said the system was telling her that I had already flown the flight! As I was standing in front of her and the flight had not left yet we agreed this was unlikely. It turns out that my ticketing issue earlier in the morning had been 'resolved' by assigning my not started, unflown GLA-LCY ticket number to the LHR-GLA sector that was missing ticket information, hence when I tried to check in using it the system was having none of it. Perhaps this was why it was sorted out so quickly and I made conformance? Anyway, it required a supervisor, but this peculiar issue was resolved by then doing the exact opposite of what had been done in the morning, and adding the LHR-GLA ticket number to the GLA-LCY flight. I now have a boarding card and am beginning to believe I will get home after all. All rather confusing. It is anyone's guess what points will post!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by snuffi
I’ve just read the guide upthread, but this particular scenario seems not to be expressly covered, ie failing to deal with issues 1 or 2 and arriving at LHR without an onward boarding card due to ticketing issues. Any thoughts?
You should have mentioned it at the IAD check-in desk since they could have at least kicked off the process from their end, but otherwise this is a customer service desk in Flight Connections along the wall, with a fast track on the top end, so they may have sorted it out there too. But the worst that would have happened had anything else failed is that you would have been put on the next GLA or EDI. But as mentioned up thread, including post 1, if you can't check in online at T-24 then always look for ticket numbers and if you can't find them - it's easy to do on the App - then ring up immediately. Bearing in mind the time difference this should have been well before you set off for IAD.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I had a weird one today. Checking in for an ex-EU to BOM. Couldn't get boarding pass as it said something about visa check, which is fair enough. But I tried again a few hours later and I was able to get board pass for both the AMS-LCY and LHR-BOM flight, which I found surprising.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:08 am

I'm unable to download/print boarding passes for a flight from MAD to LHR later today. This is the return leg of an open jawed avios redemption which was added one week after the outbound booking. The tickets do seem to have been issued correctly - I can see ticket numbers in the app.

The call centre staff in India just tell me to collect the boarding pass at the airport. Trouble is we are flying into MAD form TFS, landing about 90 minutes before the flight to London. 90 minutes is plenty of time to go from one gate to another but a bit tight if we have to make our way back to the main terminal, go through security again etc. etc.

I'm trying to get through to the UK Call Centre. Any idea what I should tell them to do if (like India) they don't know how to resolve it?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:15 am

I’ll readily admit I’m not familiar with how MAD is laid out, but why would you need to go landslide? I’d just go to the gate and explain the situation to the gate agents when they materialize?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luckyjim
The call centre staff in India just tell me to collect the boarding pass at the airport. Trouble is we are flying into MAD form TFS, landing about 90 minutes before the flight to London. 90 minutes is plenty of time to go from one gate to another but a bit tight if we have to make our way back to the main terminal, go through security again etc. etc.
This sort of thing has always been a bit finicky, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Firstly see if the TFS agent can sort it out, secondly on arrival in MAD you will find plenty of Iberia help desks airside, and I would hope they can resolve this. Is this BA metal, BA coded, BA operated for MAD-LHR? And was it sold as TFS-MAD-LHR or separately?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:50 am

Separate bookings.

No no joy at TFS - computer says ‘no’.

MAD to LHR I’d operated by BA. Hopefully I’ll be able to get the passes printed airside.

These things always ways seem to happen when I’m travelling with family. I wouldn’t be too bothered if it was a business trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.