Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Can’t check in online; should I call?

We are flying SEA to LHR today in Club World; fortunately I paid to choose our seats on the upper deck long time ago. But the website will not let me check in; I get the “sorry we cannot check you in at this time, please proceed to the airport” message. I have tried several different computers with the same result. Should I call BA? Or is this a common problem with the website today? We have flown with BA many times before and never had this issue.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Common problem in my life, often related to APIS when traveling to back the US. You can call for reassurance but I've never had a problem that wasn't resolved at the airport.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

There could be quite a few reasons why. See this thread which outlines the possible reasons why and I suspect your post may be merged into there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
Old May 17, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call.

While there are many reasons for this and almost all are both benign and can be fixed at the counter in 5-10 minutes at the most, the only way to be assured that there is no ticket issue which will require time to fix is to call.

Put another way, it is much easier to fix anything while you are sitting at home or in the office and can hold on mute and multi-task than it is to go 3 hours early and find out that it takes 5 minutes.
aristoph and adrianlondon like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Most of the time not being able to check in online is either a typo in your passport info or the dreaded SSSS
Old May 17, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It does happen even on simple point to point bookings. For me over the last year I'd suspect it's been 5-10% of my sectors.

Most of the time for me it just needed a passport swipe at the airport. Once it was SSSS, flying to JFK. Once it was to be given an "important message" at checkin (which wasn't important!). Only once there was that my ticket hadn't been re-issued when it should have been - and even then it took about 5 minutes at the airport.

By all means call if you think you will get through quickly - but I'm not sure I would call if I had to wait 30 mins for a reply.

<Edit> - as you mentioned Upper Deck, I suspect you're on the BA 48? It's very busy in the premium cabins, with the only remaining available fare buckets being in Economy. All seats are allocated on the UD (including yours, I assume!) and only one seat (1K) is showing as available in F
Old May 17, 2019, 9:13 am

Thanks. That OLCI thread helped. We do fall in the category of “ticketed amended after booking” as I added a flight from LHR to BCN on the same ticket (all booked with Avios). I assumed it was properly ticketed as I was able to choose (and pay for) our seats on the second leg.

When I call (to the USA number) which option do I choose to reach an agent who can actually handle this? I have not had good experiences with the “customer service” line.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:19 am

I can't advise which option to choose but do you have ticket numbers showing in the BA App?

If it's showing as -- then looks like it has to be re-issued/revalidated. If the ticket number is there it may also be that as it's under airport control it's not possible to check in temporarily so keep trying.

Your doing the right thing though in confirming things now and I wouldn't imagine it is anything major at all.

Good luck and let us know how things go if possible! ^
Old May 17, 2019, 9:47 am

OK, I called and reached a very helpful gentleman. He said everything is in order with our tickets and Advanced Passenger Information, but there is some kind of security restriction for the on-line check-in for this flight—-for everyone. He suggested trying again 4-5 hours before the flight, so I will do that, and then head to the airport.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
My last 4 flights with BA I haven't been able to check in online and had message check in at the airport (or similar) and when I got to the airport checked in no problem at all. My theory is because I'm seated in exit row seats and they want to check I'm fit enough to operate the door in the case of an emergency. You state your are on the upper deck are you in an exit row? my next flights are in F so it will be interesting to see if I can check in online (no exit seat)
John
Old May 17, 2019, 12:02 pm

Is the exit row 62 or 63?

That may be the answer but I always book the same seats (I am a creature of habit) and have never had trouble checking in online before. They always re-issue the boarding passes at the airport, but we can at least check in.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by enzian
Is the exit row 62 or 63?

That may be the answer but I always book the same seats (I am a creature of habit) and have never had trouble checking in online before. They always re-issue the boarding passes at the airport, but we can at least check in.
The exit is between 62 and 63.

Seats 62 A and K are classed as official exit seats as are 63 B and J.

14F86J30W145Y | The BA Source
Old May 17, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by thejohn
My last 4 flights with BA I haven't been able to check in online and had message check in at the airport (or similar) and when I got to the airport checked in no problem at all. My theory is because I'm seated in exit row seats and they want to check I'm fit enough to operate the door in the case of an emergency. You state your are on the upper deck are you in an exit row? my next flights are in F so it will be interesting to see if I can check in online (no exit seat)
John
i have a similar problem,i can pick my seats but on line checkin from the uk flags up a problem with my travel docs. I also always get stopped at egates in germany.

I know that for me the reason is that there is a us passport reported lost /stolen that shares a number with my uk passport.

you may have a similar problem
Old May 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
i have a similar problem,i can pick my seats but on line checkin from the uk flags up a problem with my travel docs. I also always get stopped at egates in germany.

I know that for me the reason is that there is a us passport reported lost /stolen that shares a number with my uk passport.

you may have a similar problem
Mmm... maybe but my last 2 entries into the USA have been smooth without any real questioning other than reason for my visit. And that was January and May this year. perhaps my next Y trip I should forgo an exit seat. But ant the moment I only have F, CW, CE, trips booked so far this year but I do have to book a trip to DXB for November\ December traveling with and that will probably be in Y.
John
Old May 17, 2019, 6:54 pm

We are now happily ensconced in the lounge awaiting boarding. Check-in was uneventful, and the agent was not surprised that we could not check in online. She did not know the reason, but agreed it could be either (a) the exit row seat for my husband (just turned 75 since our last BA flight 8 months ago) or (b) attributed to a “buggy” website.

Or maybe because the flight was oversold. Sign at check-in said they were offering $800 to people willing to be re-booked on tomorrow’s flight. Apparently Economy pax got this offer in an email. But that wouldn’t apply to Club World, would it? I can’t imagine they would overbook business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.