Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Varies
I've got the following message when trying to check in my companion. "The US advises that no Travel Authorisation can be found for the passport details provided. Please check you have a valid ESTA or provide your US visa number."

He has a valid passport/ESTA/global entry. Would BA be able to advise what the problem is, or should he apply for another ESTA as a belt and braces approach?

I can check in but haven't done so yet.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
have you double checked the passport details in the booking for your companion?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
have you double checked the passport details in the booking for your companion?

Yes. They're correct. They've been in the BA system for some time, and he'd updated the booking, checked the details and added the specific trip-related API .

We think his ESTA has expired, so he's applied for a new one. It's hard to believe this has happened after 30+ years of successful travel to the USA!!

It's a learning experience. So I suppose the green tick on the BA website means we've entered all the information, but the actual US Government check doesn't take place until 24 hours (or thereabouts) before travel?

I'm glad I started check-in early enough to do something about it.

Assuming the ESTA comes through OK, do you know if we need to do anything else before trying online check in again?

And thank you for your help. As you can imagine, it's been a bit fraught here. And a bit annoying that we're losing our grip

ETA: to answer my own question, once the ESTA came through we are now able to check in

Last edited by ttama; Jan 17, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
My wife and I (UK Passport holders) are unable to check-in for tomorrow's IST flight - any ideas why this could be?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gallagher
My wife and I (UK Passport holders) are unable to check-in for tomorrow's IST flight - any ideas why this could be?
The flight may be overbooked, do you have seat assignments at this time?
According to Expertflyer, the Club Europe cabin is fully booked and Euro Traveller only has 8 available seats.

Otherwise, it's not because of entry requirements or something because of your passport.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:46 am

We have exit seats reserved (both BA silver). Booking was made direct with BA. Hopefully I can sort quickly at the airport
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:43 am

2 things I found out at check-in:

1) you have to have your temperature checked before flying to Turkey
2) nothing is allowed in overhead storage on flights to/from Turkey (wished BA had told me this before I got to the airport. Just got the standard email ‘‘your flight is busy and we will check-in your had luggage free of charge at the airport’) 👹
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
I'm due to fly to Corfu tomorrow but can't checkin online. They told me that its due to having to see the Greek QR code but the same thing happened to me earlier this week on a flight from Hamburg back to London.

Is the QR code explanation correct or does it look like there is another issue at fault here? I tried deleting and re-entering my passport info on my profile but made no difference.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by jazzyjeff
I'm due to fly to Corfu tomorrow but can't checkin online. They told me that its due to having to see the Greek QR code but the same thing happened to me earlier this week on a flight from Hamburg back to London.

Is the QR code explanation correct or does it look like there is another issue at fault here? I tried deleting and re-entering my passport info on my profile but made no difference.
hi.

I would think that it is the qr code issue as it is general ba policy to disable olci for Greek destinations currently and there have been a number of posts here recently.

Not sure why olci did not work for ham lhr though

Regards
tbs
KARFA and jazzyjeff like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greece QR codes and OLCI

Just to signpost the following thread which details why passenger to Greece cannot check-in online at the moment, due to the need to check documentation.

Greece - individual or family PLF for BA?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by jazzyjeff

I'm in the same position (Corfu tomorrow) - we can't check in online either so it's not just you. Hopefully the QR code arrives tonight.....
jazzyjeff likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:42 am

2) nothing is allowed in overhead storage on flights to/from Turkey (wished BA had told me this before I got to the airport. Just got the standard email ‘‘your flight is busy and we will check-in your had luggage free of charge at the airport’) 👹
BA’s flight to Dalaman today not accepting wheeled bags as hand luggage - must be checked in the hold.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:28 am

anyone know if I’m allowed wheeled hand-luggage in the cabin on BA flights from Turkey to the UK?
on the outbound last week all wheeled hand luggage had to be checked

Last edited by gallagher; Sep 23, 2020 at 2:16 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:04 am

I’m also having problems today loading seat map for tomorrow’s IST-LHR flight. I can’t change seat on the App nor BA.com
Also,
It’s on a 32N plane but tells me my C seat is a middle seat?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I’m also having problems today loading seat map for tomorrow’s IST-LHR flight. I can’t change seat on the App nor BA.com
Also,
It’s on a 32N plane but tells me my C seat is a middle seat?
C seat is an aisle seat. There is a longstanding glitch which shows that incorrectly in MMB. If you can't OLCI then seat assigment stops at T-25, and there isn't much you can do about that. Expertflyer and similar tools will show the seat arrangment, which is essentially full in ET, and some empty rows between row 8 and the last CE row, row 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.