Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by prof
Thanks again CWS--changing and re-changing the details worked. It's bizarre that a company as vast as BA has such fragile IT . . .
Thanks for reporting back, it may help other people. As for your second sentence, you may well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Have you changed your return reservation at after it was originally booked, such as an upgrade or date change? That’s often the reason for this event. You need to do one of two things, call BA now and ask them what the problem is. There is probably an amount of money to pay that was not taken earlier, they should be able to process the payment and get the ticket reissued.
The alternative is to arrive at the airport an hour or so earlier than you planned and head to the ticket/service desk. Personally, I’d be making that phone call.
you were spot on. In the end I managed to get hold of BA through their GOLD line number (and guy on the phone helped me despite being bronze). So what happened is that when I changed the return leg to fly back to London from Sao Paolo (instead of BA), there was a change fee due of around 50 quid. He said they tried charging it to my card but didn't have the 3 digit security code. He said they tried to email me (that's total BS because I never received such message) and that's why the 2 return tickets were never issued despite appearing as confirmed in my BA account. After spending 55 minutes with the guy on the phone at 4AM (bear in mind at a cost of £1.80/minute because I was in Brazil when I called), he charged my card, he issued the ticket numbers and was able to check in immediately after. Got to Sao Paolo airport and flew back to London without any issues. LESSON LEARNED guys. I've been reading quite a bit about the 241/avios./etc but yet NOBODY mentioned this problem could happen on the threads I was reading. The moral of the story, triple check you've been actually issued with an E-TICKET number (even if the booking appears as valid in the BA account) and call customer service if you have any suspicions something is wrong BEFORE you actually go on holiday to avoid paying ridiculous roaming fees when calling BA from abroad. Another lesson learned is that just like their outdated business class seats, BA's IT systems is in total shambles. Their COO and IT administrator should be fired. This sort of stuff should not / cannot happen in 2018!!!!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This is a great idea. Thanks for putting it together C-W-S.

The link in the opening post to check if you're properly ticketed is now giving an Error 400 Bad Request.

Using this url instead I think might help: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...NS&LANGUAGE=GB
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not really sure I understand the issue here but trying to OLCI DXB-LHR. I selected to check in myself, my wife and infant, my daughter and my son.

We’re all British passport holders but after completing OLCI, myself and my daughter can only pick up boarding pass at airport; my son isn’t checked in at all and my wife with the infant have an error message related to needing to ensure we have the correct visas to travel, which seems strange as we’re travelling to London.

I’ve tried to check in my son again but won’t allow a child to be checked in without accompanying parent and my wife’s check in, I assume is not working, due to the infant.

Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
ET can't check in

Hi all,

Flying on BA903 tomorrow morning, OLCI leads to upgrade offer, decline, then to a screen showing:

MY NAME NOT CHECKED IN Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk

Any idea what that could be? I'm HBO.

<edit: just found the "why can't I OLCI" thread, perhaps someone can move this there and close this one?>
Tnx

Last edited by TPRun; Jan 18, 2018 at 1:46 pm Reason: found thread
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have a look at this thread. If 1, 2 or 3 apply then you need to take action, otherwise you can sort it out at the airport.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
TPRun likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jan 18, 2018 at 3:05 pm Reason: strike circular reference
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a look at this thread. If 1, 2 or 3 apply then you need to take action, otherwise you can sort it out at the airport.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
Yes sorry I just edited my post to say I found this thread and should move this there..

I'm on my return leg, outbound was completely fine.... return had a seat reserved until this morning, then when I went to online check in around 7pm Frankfurt time, (flight is at 10.55 Frankfurt time), I got that message. Tried on app and on laptop.

Definitely don't want to get stuck out there - spent an extra 2 hours in a taxi because all the trains were halted!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TPRun
<edit: just found the "why can't I OLCI" thread, perhaps someone can move this there and close this one?>
Tnx
Hit the red button with the exclamation mark in it at the bottom left of your post. That will provide you the opportunity to ask the moderators to move it for you.
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I had to call in yesterday to nudge through payment for a POUG on my 8am flight today. Woke to find it still not ticketed. Called Japan BAEC number and they seem to be sorting it out, but already had a call back from them querying how much I'd paid and how. Hopefully it'll be sorted before I arrive at LHR in 20 mins.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I had to call in yesterday to nudge through payment for a POUG on my 8am flight today. Woke to find it still not ticketed. Called Japan BAEC number and they seem to be sorting it out, but already had a call back from them querying how much I'd paid and how. Hopefully it'll be sorted before I arrive at LHR in 20 mins.
Finally reissued just over an hour before flight. App wouldn't let me refresh to get ticket number and MMB OLCI still failing, so wandered over to visa check desks who were able to issue BP with no further fuss. A bit tighter than I'd like, but all sorted in the end.

But no bacon butties in lounge to help me get some breakfast to settle .
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:02 am

I'm on a DUB-LCY tomorrow. I haven't been able to check in having tried a few times this morning and afternoon. I'm getting this message:

Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk.

The ticket seems fine. It was a cash booking, made on the website, with no changes/upgrades etc.

Could it be a trim issue? It seems to be fairly lightly loaded so unlikely to be an upgrade.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I
Any ideas?
Trim is indeed a possibility, but usually this is done by seat shifting you and then greying out the front of the aircraft. My suspicion is more the random "we want to see your passport" (on a passport-free route) than anything else. I'd give yourself an extra 10 minutes at DUB if the ticketing looks good.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:19 am

The ticket seems fine. Any ideas?
Did you check the ticket status using the link in post #1 ?

Is it BA4465 / 10:55am? That has fairly tight looking J1/Y1 selling, so could be a overbooking scenario

EDIT: Although looks to be seeling that single Y seat down to V, so maybe not . Just some seat shuflfing needed for particular pax ?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:23 am

BA's systems threw a wobbly earlier as MMB said no bookings could be retrieved for an hour or so earlier. All appears back to normal now.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:14 am

I'm on a DUB-LCY tomorrow. I haven't been able to check in having tried a few times this morning and afternoon. I'm getting this message:

Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk.

The ticket seems fine. It was a cash booking, made on the website, with no changes/upgrades etc.

Could it be a trim issue? It seems to be fairly lightly loaded so unlikely to be an upgrade.

Any ideas?
Update:

I tried online check-in a few more times yesterday using website and app. Each time I got the same response as above.

So, to the desk at DUB, and boarding pass issued without delay. I was going to ask the guy if he could see anything funny in the booking, but I wasn't feeling very chatty and neither was he, I think, so I didn't bother.

Now, I did watch his keystrokes as he was checking me in. First he entered the first three letters of my last name, this, I guess, retrieved the booking.

Then he made one mouse click. Maybe an ok to something, or ticking a check-box, or no bags?

Then he typed 'P'. Would this refer to passport, I wonder? Maybe he was confirming that he had checked my passport.

Anyway, after the P, the boarding pass printed, and I was on my way.

Edit: the flight was about 80% full, I guess, so trim probably not involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.